Ohio State / Notre Dame Game Week

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by BuckeyeT, Aug 28, 2022.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I agree, sucker bet is being layed for the unwary.....I ain't buying it.

2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

17.5 underdogs. Sounds right.....wait wasn't Neb a 13pt fav? Yeah, 17.5 sound right.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

There is no doubt that Ohio State deserves to be at least a 2 touchdown favorite. They have a potentially record breaking offense, with multiple Heisman Candidates and 1st round draft picks and while I do believe that the Irish have a good defense, they don't have an Alabama good defense.

Irish offense could turn out to be a good offense, but we have an QB who played last year but mainly as a runner, but he was a very good HS qB throwing the ball. Maybe he'll be great but we don't know. He has a great TE, but a WR corp who are mostly "who he". Our OL has a lot of potential but our best OL and senior leader isn't likely to play vs the Buckeyes due to a foot injury. RB room is again a room with potential but no proven performer. This vs a Buckeye defense run by a guy who got a good look in the 1st half vs the Irish in the Fiesta Bowl and then shut us down in the 2nd half. Now that was a really good/talented Oklahoma State defense, and I expect that he has more talent to work with at Columbus at least based on recruiting rankings.

Then it gets down to the coaching. Marcus Freeman we all hope has a lot of potential but it's unproven and he was outcoached by Mike Gundy in the Fiesta Bowl. Ryan Day has the bonafides that Marcus aspires to as a HC.

So all the arrows point toward the Buckeyes. But upsets do happen, mostly though we hope that the Irish make a good game of it and aren't facing Buckeye subs in the 4th Qtr.

4. Terry O'Keefe

On the lessons he has learned from former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel

"The best thing I've observed from him is the ability to make everybody in your organization feel important, but also make it so that they are important. That's what I want to make sure we reflect here is that everybody in our program has to understand that their role is just as valuable as mine as the head coach. I don't care who you are. You could be a scout team, you can work in a cafeteria, you can be on a support staff, you can be the defensive or offensive coordinator, you can be a starter, everybody's role is important. They have to believe that. It's not just me saying that. Our scout team guys have to believe their role is as important as mine for us to accomplish our goals and it's a message that has to be preached everyday because sometimes you can come in here and say, I'm on scout team and I'll go through the motions. But if they don't understand their role and those looks on scout team that are just important as mine then we're not going to achieve or reach the maximum potential that we possibly have. That's kind of what I've learned from observing coach Tress, but that's the same message I have for this program. I don't care who you are. If you're involved with the Notre Dame football program, your role is important as mine to make sure we accomplish it."

5. BuckeyeT

Good overview TOK. By the same token the Irish braintrust has had all off season to scheme against the Knowles design. It should be a good chess match early, adjustments will be key. Irish QB run game may be pesky and a real pain in the ass keeping the chains moving

6. Tim Gentry

I'm changing my prediction based on Vegas, We lose 59-10

7. Tim Gentry

Correction, 59.5-10.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

That would be a disasterous start for the Irish, what we need assuming we don't win is a competitve loss something like our series with Georgia another team whose roster from top to bottom was just loaded with talent. Both games were losses for sure but not blowouts.

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Don, let’s not toss gasoline on the inferno. AJ’s dachshund probably has been hiding under the sofa since Saturday waiting for the storm to pass.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Dachsund(s).....Frankie and Gracie...and those 2 Frauleins were more pissed than me....see following pic.

11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Here's a Chicago friend of mine at the watch party Saturday....that's Gracie making sure he doesn't celebrate....at all.

59081.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Enuff said AJ!:)

13. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Special delivery, Mr. Ryckman .

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Tim Gentry

Okay, in all seriousness and setting my ND bias aside anyone including myself would surely admit that OSU should win this game. They just have too many known advantages. 1. Home game, 2. huge crowd, 3. Proven good/great QB, 4. Proven good/great receivers etc. Notre Dame has all the questions. 1. New unproven QB(on the road). 2. huge home crowd advantage OSU, 3. New 1st year Head Coach. New staff. 4. Lack of depth/experience for receivers. 5. Lack of depth/experience RB.

Looking at that unless OSU makes a lot of mistakes and ND gets some breaks along the way it's an easy pick for OSU to win. Really, no matter who OSU plays at home on Sat with the exception of probably Alabama and Georgia, they would probably win by 2 TDs or more.

For me, I would be content(not happy) if they just show they are as good as the talent I know they have. If it's a competitive game fine, if we get blown out, we could be in for a long season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I tend to agree Tim, but strange things have been known to happen in season openers. Whatever happens Saturday night, you have a very fiery new coach that the players seem to love and that alone goes a great distance. You have an excellent recruiting class coming in next year. Looks to me like Notre Dame has a rosy future!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

In a way, this is about as good a first game for Freeman to have. Expectations of a win are realistically low and at the same time, his team was undoubtedly focused in practice ie. no one was looking forward to Marshall. As always in a new season there are questions. First on my list is just how much improvement can be made by the O line. Last season we had the worst O line that we've had in many years. A season under their belt, another year in the weight room and HH as coach seems to portend much improvement. We've got a talented mobile QB that isn't that durable. At least he'll start the season healthy. Same with our receiving corps. Our D line which is talented has to be disruptive. If we play well, we'll be still in the game at half.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I took ND and the points as well as the over (59).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Stu, the entrance was very impressive. They just kept coming and coming in perfect unison. Must be an amazing sight on game day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BuckeyeT

Ladies and gentlemen, the pride of the Buckeyes......beautiful. I can't remember the last time I was in the stadium and was able to get through pregame without tears in my eyes, truly. There are no doubt some fan bases that love their band to the same degree as we do, but none can love them more. After all there is only one TBDBITL....