OBVIOUSLY KENNY ROGERS IS A ROLLING STONES FAN...

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Oct 23, 2006.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Sid
    I especially like this one
    Like I said yesterday ********!!!

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'm anxious for JO'Co to weigh in here. Baseball is a funny game. "Cheating" is a time honored tradition for as long as the game has been played. It is laughed about. Even when someone gets caught it is usually dismissed with a smile.

When you think about it, most of us don't want to see Bonds in the HOF because we are pretty sure he was juicing. But you see Gaylord Perry in there who was renowned for his cheating to the point he wrote books about it.

Baseball is a funny game.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Heh, heh....

When those good 'ol boys in NASCAR get caught with illegal "tweaking" they just slap 'em on the wrist, mebbe move 'em back to the rear of the pack, and go back to racin'!

4. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

Player division:

Gaylord Perry is probably the best known for supposedly adding foreign substances to baseballs.

The Giants were allegedly stealing signs with a telescope when Bobby Thomson hit the shot heard 'round the world.

Elston Howard has admitted to scraping balls along his shin guard buckles before throwing them back to Whitey Ford toward the end of Ford's career. Said he even did it in an Old-Timers game. :D

Corked bats, or in Graig Nettles's case, super balls.

One outfielder (Brett Butler?) used a non-regulation (extra-long) glove to assist with catches on the wall.

Groundskeeper division:

Phillies - sculpted the base lines to keep the Whiz Kids' bunts in play.

Giants - watered down the basepaths to slow Maury Wills.

White Sox - tossed stones all over the infield when they had a lousy fielding team (must do that every year) to make fielding difficult for both teams. In the 60's stored game balls in a cold damp place to deaden them because their lineup didn't have a lot of power.

Twins - supposedly change the a/c vent direction in the Metrodome to blow in when the visiting team is batting and out when the Twins are up.

I'm sure there are more examples. To a large degree it's gamesmanship, skirting along the edge of the rules. As Sid (?) said, it adds color. Cheating in baseball goes back to when baseball was a job for the players. Right and wrong is all the same when baby needs new shoes. It isn't how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose.

You can't apply a foreign substance to a ball. Understood. Why then does baseball still allow batters to apply a foreign substance - body armor - to their shoulder, upper arm, elbow, and forearm? That sure gives them an artificial advantage.

Steroids are just plain wrong. They fook with your long-term health. I don't want to see anyone having to do them just to be able to compete in baseball.

5. TheSwampSince82

TheSwampSince82 New Member

Im glad this happened to Kenny Rogers..hes a jerk and deserves to be exposed.

Btw Corey I never mentioned anything about loading up the ball and could care less about your observations on it. I just mentioned that Rogers was a cheater( like several major league pitchers).... no matter how big of a deal it was. It obviously benefits his style of pitching much more because he was a lousy pitcher his entire career...and all of a sudden hes pitching lights out baseball and the best of his career at 41. As much as you love Rogers...hes a jerk..get over it.