Notre Dame's Next Coach

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Hey it's just me guys, tryin to be a little creative. Just an Irish fan in El Paso. Got tired of seeing T. W. Gentry.

Tim

2. Tim Gentry

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think that ND fans are taking the wrong tact. Let's fill the web with talk about who our next AD is going to be. Just maybe, KW will get the message he seems to be missing.
    Mike

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Gip,

LOL!! That is a great idea.. Start the drums beating for a new AD and watch the changes come a rollin........ [​IMG]

IMHO, the whole ordeal over the pregame ceremonies is a good example of BD and his tenure..

He is a good "company guy".. He just wants to know what direction he wants the Ath Dept to head in and goes from there.. It's not a "bad" thing to a certain extent but you can't stay at the top of the pile (which is the only place ND nation will accept) unless you take your chances and have some balls.

Knute, Ara, Lou and even Devine to a certain extent had the balls to do things "their way". They'd roll the dice. They'd lead and expect ND nation to follow. Bob seems to be led by NDNation rather then leading it..I thought that Lou fell into this same trap in the last few years at ND. He was trying to please to many people without being true to his initial mission at the school.

I could be full of cr#p, but that's the way I see it.. Whoever ND has as a coach needs to be a LEADER. Someone who has the "testicular fortitude" (for you wrestling fans) to tell the AD, the President of the U, or a newsreporter "NO! I am the coach and so long as I am the coach, this is how things are run."... BD would NEVER do that IMHO..

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I wonder about the guy at Illinois, he never gets mentioned but he's apparently done a very good job. I think Paul said that he didn't think that he could be tempted away due to his family situation ...ie he really likes where he lives, wife, kids like it, etc.

I like his offense, he throws the ball downfield and he still works on the running game.

Terry

6. Tim Gentry

I hadn't really thought about the coach from Ill. Other than the mich game they got screwed out of last year I haven't paid much attention to them.

What's everyone think about Stoops. I really wasn't aware that he might be interested in ND till I saw the article yesterday.

Tim

7. Guest

Guest Guest

My, my, my...the lynch mob is sturring...and I just happen to have a rope here with me!
    Another amazing coinky dinky...

I would be thrilled with Stoops, Mariucci or Belotti. All three are class acts and proven winners. I saw Stoops at the College Hall of Fame and he looked thrilled to be there. He was very quiet and respectful as he gazed at the exhibits and his players didn't need to be told to act likewise. With him around, they acted like they were in church.

Belotti is certainly the best coach and recruiter on the West Coast and Mariucci won at Cal-Berkeley, which most Left Coasters consider a scientific impossibility, yet he did it.

Any of those three is AOK with me and I hope those three names are on KW's short list.

...JO'Co

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Forget about Stoops. Didn't the Ohio State people get all jacked up about him just recently and he said at the time that he was quite happy where he is? He ain't exactly makin chump change either.

9. cropdr3

cropdr3 New Member

Terry,

I really doubt that a coach with only one bowl appearance as head coach would be met with universal acceptance at ND.

Turner has turned down several interviews with NFL time since he has been at Illinois. I don't recall any offers at the collegiate level, however.

I would guess that when Turner moves on it will be at the pro level. Turner and his wife like the small town atmosphere here (about 60,000) and intend to see their grade school children graduate from high school in the same area.

I think the individual you guys should set you eyes on is our AD Ron Guenther. He might be easier to pry away than you think.

------------------
    Paul in Champaign

10. Tailback

Tailback Guest

You guys don't have a shot at Stoops! How about George O Leary? He's my bet for your next coach.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I would be totally shocked if they even approached Stoops, as Todd mentioned the Buckeyes alread tried that and I'd say since he's an Ohio boy he probably has as much if not more old time allegiance to OSU as he does to ND because he's Catholic. Heck we have a very hard time getting Catholic kids out of Ohio and there are quite a few great Catholic High Schools in Ohio.

I think the next coach will be not be one of the current top college or pro head coaches. I think it will be somebody like Turner at Illinois who has done fairly well with less resources in terms of recruiting than they would have at Notre Dame. Maybe Mike Leach at Texas Tech, who coached Tim Couch and has the Tech offense wound up pretty good these days.

I'm intrigued by Bellotti and think he might be the guy White has on the top of his list. He's not high profile, but he's done a great job, I'm told he's Catholic (not that it matters).

But we'll have to wait and see.

Terry

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Stoops is a "no go"... If we got him, I'd sh*t myself out of shock rather then excitement.. I believe Stoops played at Iowa and have read a few press articles in which he stated he always loved OU etc and that being the HC there was a "dream" job. OU will match anyone dollar for dollar for his services...

I can't see Bellotti going anywhere. He loves it in Oregon. To those of you with "connections" who like to "be involved" in these types of things... If you really want Bellotti, you have to sell he and his wife on Mishiwaka (not South Bend), and the quality of life in that area... It would be the only hope that you'd have at getting him.

Marriucci has the ties to ND so that's possible. He isn't in the same position that Grueden's(sp?) in.. The Raiders are a legit AFC title contender, the Niners aren't even a playoff team..

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Who was the Oregon coach who got the Ducks up from the muck after 15 years of building then went to the Pro's. He didn't make it in the Pro's but he's got experience and he took the Ducks from nothing to something.

Mike Riley and Bellotti benefited from what he started.

Speaking of Riley, how did he compare to Bellotti?

Terry

14. Guest

Guest Guest

JO'Co,

I'm just now catching up on this topic. Your observation of Stoops and his apparent disciplinary strengths (team at attention at the CFHOF) reminds me of my son's comments when Davie was made HC. Brian said that he would not be a good head coach because he was too much of a players' coach, not a disciplinarian (whew, big word!). Of course, I'm closing the gate after the horse is out of the barn, but I chuckle at myself for ignoring Brian's words and being ever hopeful....and naive.....until last Saturday.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Terry,

The guy you are thinking of is Rich Brooks. He's still in the NFL somewhere. He is highly regarded as an assistant coach at that level and I don't think he'd be easy to lure away.

Riley is a Trojan who just BLEEDS for USC. I know most Trog alumns were hoping that Riley would work some magic at OSU, and then come home to take the USC job... Problem is that he bolted for the NFL before that could unfold... I don't think he's an "ND guy" by any stretch...but who knows..

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah Rich Brooks, that's the guy. He built the Gangrene defense didn't he? How was the Duck offense in his days?

I'd think that after spending so much time in college that he'd be very open to comming back to college...esp at a place like ND.

I have a funny feeling that since White's contacts are in the PAC10 based on his stint at ASU that we'll be looking at PAC10 coaches. How good is the Wazzu coach?

Terry

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Price is a GREAT GUY! He does things the right way and sticks to what he believes in. It's hard to tell how he'd do. When he has had the talent, he has won. Problem is, he doesn't always have the talent on a consistant basis...

But I can't think of a single team he's had that was SUPPOSED to win, that didnt.