Notre Dame's Next Coach

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

All,

O.K. guys. Speculation, wishing, hopeing, praying are all behind us now. We all KNOW this is Bob Davie's last year. He will be pressured out of his position somtime this year. (it may be as early as Sat.)

So let's start a REAL conversation about who the next ND coach will be. At least the prime contenders.

What do you all think about the coach up at Northwestern, Walker I believe, or how about Oakland's coach.

In my opinion, it would be best if we found a Coach who is already at a DIV 1 school having some positive results but is still young enough so that if he does have some success at ND he and his staff could stay around a few year(20 would be best). We don't need anybody's OC or DC, and we don't need someone who is 60 years old.( no offense to you older guys out there)

I use to think Alvarez would be a good choice but he seems to really enjoy what he has up at Wisconsin and I don't blame him.

Anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts going as we all know Davie is gone one way or another this year.

Tim

2. stephenoh

stephenoh New Member

I have no idea regarding our next coach, but I will say that the performance of a school's athletic program rests with the AD (except where the coach is bigger than life--Fld., FSU, PSU, and a few others).

Wadsworth put ND's athletic program back about 5-8 years and now its KW job to put it forward about 10 years.

This really is his first big decision given that Brey was runner up when MD was hired. Its situations like these that separate OK managers from great managers. Its my belief that KW at this moment has a short list.

Stephen

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well all the speculation fantasy's over on NDNation center around John Gruden the Oakland Raiders coach. Last year it was Tom Coughlin the Jag's coach. Some like Steve Mariucci the 49'ers coach.

I can't see a Pro coach because of the length of their season. If we fire Davie after the Purdue game and go after Gruden and his team is in the playoffs then he can't really even talk to us. Plus he has a new contract and a super bowl contender. Those who fantasize about Gruden are pinning their hopes on the fact that his dad was a coach for the Irish under Parsegihan and has made favorable comments about the Irish and his time their with his dad when he was a teenager. Long way from giving up a Huge Pro contract with a Super Bowl contender to leap into college football with the Irish.

I'd have to say the next coach will come as Tim says from a Div1 program where he has demonstrated success and maybe even overachieved with less players and facilities than he'll have at his disposal with Notre Dame. Lou certainly fit that mould, and so did Ara.

Bellotti is a name bandied around quite a bit and he has certainly been successfull at Oregon. Wheter he desires to jump into the Notre Dame fray is another deal. I almost think you have to be a guy who always said in the back of his mind you'd love to coach at Notre Dame. Another name is George O'Leary of Ga. Tech. I actually like what O'Leary has done at Tech, his teams have been very exciting and he's doing it by going up against SEC and FSU teams in recruiting and not with JC guys.

Terry

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Here at Penn State we have a four eyed, bandy legged coaching legend. Whadaya gonna bid for him?

Do I hear five, wholla give five five, do I hear four.......

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Terry,

I agree with you on Gruden, no way will he be our next coach. He made alot of statements years ago before he became a successful NFL coach. He won't leave Oakland anytime soon. I like the guy but I can't see it. O'leary would not be a bad choice, obviously better than Bob D.

Belotti would be an excellant choice as far as I'm concerned. Imagine what he could do with the recruits he could get at ND. I would put him on my short list.

I also do believe that KW has a short list he has statred working on after the game sat.

Terry, you mentioned firing Davie after the Purdue game. I hope it's over with him before that! We need a new coach in place before the banquet in Dec which is only 1 week after the Purdue game I believe. Ireally don't beleive ND will fire him though, I beleive it will be a resignation ala Jerry Faust.

Tim

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Stephen is right. This is about managing a program and that falls squarely on Kevin White. It's his call and ND football is the single most important asset that he has to direct. I have confidence in him and I think he'll do what's best.

My own personal choice would be Northwestern coach Randy Walker. He may get chased out of Chicago by Rashidi Wheeler's mother, Johnny Cochrane and Jesse Jackson and fall into our lap.

His offense is the best possible fit for the Irish. It's a lot easier for an academic type school to find passing QB's and WR's than it is option QB's and TB's IMHO. Like Ara, if he can win with less talent at Northwestern, he shouldn't have any problems at ND.

Bellotti would also be a good choice, but remember that he's already turned down the USC job, because he has young kids and loves the situation and family atmosphere in Oregon.

...JO'Co

[This message has been edited by JO'Co (edited 09-24-2001).]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

All,

Read this bio on Walker, sounds like a good fit to me.
    Walker Bio: www.nusports.fansonly.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/walker_randy00.html

Makes your wonder in hindsight, how we ever took Davie instead of really shopping around first.

Tim

[This message has been edited by T. W. Gentry (edited 09-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by T. W. Gentry (edited 09-24-2001).]

8. Tailback

Tailback Guest

How about Charlie Strong?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Strong is going to be a HC someplace soon, it's just that we are through with Coordinators it's too big a crap shoot. For every Stoops you get, there are 10 Bob Davies.

I think who ever we get will have to be a guy with some big cajone's to want to ride the Beast that is ND football. And I think he will be a big surprise as to who he is...

Terry

10. Guest

Guest Guest

PLEASE! With all due respect tailback, no more coordinators please!!!

Tim

11. Tailback

Tailback Guest

Hey, it was worth a shot! [​IMG]

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed Northwestern the past couple of years. What's strange reading Walkers bio is that while at Miami his defenses were highly rated but at NU it the exact opposite. I don't know if he's that versatile or he's had different coordinators.

One thing I do know (and I know this grinds Terry) is that he took a QB who wasn't good enough to take a snap in a game for Davie and had the second most prolific offense in the nation last year. Hey, maybe he'd bring Jovan Witherspoon with him.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Tod if you want to trade coaches I won't pay more than five. Going once...

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Today's LA Times reports that Bob Davie is NOT the worst coach in Notre Dame history. Of course, if he loses Saturday it will be the FIRST TIME IN HISTORY that the Irish have started 0-3, but then that may just be a coincidence...

Here is the list of the all-time WORST coaches in Notre Dame history, for those who were head coach of the Irish more than two seasons:

1.Joe Kuharich.........17-23,4 yrs, .425
    2.Gerry Faust..........30-26-1,5yrs, .535
    3.Bob Davie............30-21,5yrs, .588

So you see he's only the third worst coach we've ever had....

...Intrepid Statistician...JO'Co

15. stephenoh

stephenoh New Member

JO'Co:

Thanks for the cheery news, I know it makes me feel much better about the situation!!!!

Stephen

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity
    If they let Davie go on Sat. who would be the interim coach? I guess Rogers could step right in. He's certainly earned the chance at a head coaching job. NOT!!!
    It's too late but Davie should have gotten rid of him last year. Come to think of it, dumb idea, it could have saved his job. Never mind....

17. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

JO'Co,

I was having a bad day till I read your post, thanks for stepping in and saving the day for me. I'm sure my evening will be great now. Wait till I tell all my ND hating friends this new statistical revelation. Maybe Bob ain't so bad afterall! Right.....

Tim

18. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

Wow! how do you pronounce that screen name!!jif

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Down in the west Texas town of....

20. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Ok Marty... No singing in public! [​IMG]

------------------
    Tennessee Tom McCord