Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b92l1OpXBs8" frameborder="0"></iframe>

New Morris Inn.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Let me know how it is when you spend your first night there! :)

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Re Carlo: Did George send someone to visit Kelly to help him find a copy of the team's roster for next year?

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm going to request the Terry O'Keefe Grand Suite. :lol:

6. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)
    The Morris Inn is a slight upgrade from my usual accommodations in the South Bend area...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Terry O'Keefe

Carlo does have people! :)

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I like the new look. I will miss Leahy's.

9. Terry O'Keefe

That was brutal to watch last night, so much so that I couldn't watch after a couple of minutes in the 2nd half and went to bed. I'll give you Iowa State played well, they had a good run in the B12 tourney and were a hot pick for the upset over ND. But we just go through playing the #1 overall seed in Louisville on a neutral court and stayed with them for the most part.

Yet last night we looked like a team that belonged in the CBI tournament, not even the NIT. Turnovers, and when we weren't turning it over the shots we were taking...ugh.

I like Mike Brey, and regular season he's done well, but post season in the NCAA he has consistently lost to the lower seeded team.

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I hate having to watch reruns. That's why I picked Iowa St. in the bracket contest and why I went to bed at the half.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Brey has just been awful in the tournament, but he has done fairly well in the regular season. He's a pretty popular coach, runs a clean program, and has probably his best recruiting class coming in next year so I don't expect Swarbrick will relieve him of his duties or that Brey will resign. To tell you the truth while the program is in better shape than after Digger left or after McLeod left, it's still probably not an esp attractive job for the hot young coaches like Shaka Smart.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Kevin O'Neal who posts as Kayo on NDNation had a pretty good take on the game.
    5.2 Seconds

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

First of all, Brey's teams are better built for playing H-O-R-S-E than playing basketball.
    Second, Matt Doherty was probably the best coach we had since Digger but he chased a dream and ended up at Florida Atlantic, SMU and ESPN.
    Third, top HS players want to play 1 year in college (they have to) and then go pro. Why would any 1 year player want to go to a place where classes would get in the way of his basketball playing?
    ND basketball is like Kentucky football....an off-season diversion not to be taken seriously.

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

So.....gip.....does this mean you won't be renewing your season tickets? :lol:

15. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

New ND Commit

<t>Back to Football.....<br/>
    <br/>
    Irish pick up verbal commitment from N.J. DE. 6'5", 250lb, Andrew Trumbetti. Had offers from Florida, FL St., Miami, Clemson, Stanford etc. <br/>
    <br/>
    Go Irish!</t>

16. Terry O'Keefe

Awesome get by the Irish, the kid is a great athlete, he's big and fast. And with that last name and being from Jersey he probably has people! :) Well have to wait for the Godfather to confirm that though!

As far as ND Basketball I just can't believe that we can't be better than we currently are, granted we can't get the 1 and done players but then that's not necessarily a bad thing, just read JO'Co's analysis of UCLA with 3 of those guys. But it's not like we get a bunch of scrubs either, if we did we'd be at the bottom of the Big East not consistently in the top 1/2 of the league.

I just don't know why Brey can't get the team to do better in the tournament. I think we can be a consistent top 25 program and get to the sweet 16 once in awhile.

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It's not just the NCAA. We consistantly underperform in the BE tourney every year. There's a difference between a conference game and a one-and-done situation. The later allows a team to choke. 'Nuf said.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

No. But it does mean that in the future, just as I did this week, I'll pick them to go down in flames in the first round to a lower ranked team. So predictable, so piss-poor.

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm by nature a pretty rah-rah kind of guy, always looking for the positive, but I am angry and frustrated at the embarrassment of the team's lack of heart and hustle vs. Iowa State. A reasonably intelligent person has to wonder what's going on with this team, this coach. It was evident to me early on the we did not have strong leadership, but our extremely poor performance makes me wonder why the heck we were sleepwalking and obviously unmotivated on the biggest stage in college basketball. Brey's overall body of work in the consistently toughest conference in college BB (except perhaps this year) certainly is admirable, given our recruiting limitations, but the way our seasons have ended is agonizing and frustrating, to say the least.

20. Terry O'Keefe

What's the bar for ND Mens Basketball? Is a good regular season and making the tournament as a 5-10 seed and losing most of the 1st rounds..occassionally winning a game? That seems to be where Brey has us at this time.

If that's the bar then no reason to fire him.

On a positive note the Irish Hockey team wins the CCHA Tournament with a 3-1 win over Michigan. We should have a good seed in the Frozen Four. Hopefully we will do well there!