Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Brandon Fiske the DE from W.Michigan who Freeman really wanted as a grad transfer and supposedly really liked ND but decided to take the FSU signing bonus and go to Tallahassee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

That one surprised me. He stated previously he wanted to stay close to home. I guess with some NIL $$$ you can have Mom and Dad fly down to see you frequently. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Re: Pyne: I remember when everyone got their panties in a twist over Jurkovic. Buchner was ahead of Pyne last year. He beat him out through the Spring and Summer. I wish him well and thank him for his time. You can't say you want the best athletes who want to compete at the highest level, and then turn around and cry when the guy who has beaten you out 3 times in one calendar year is getting a shot to play when he comes back from injury. It is what it is. I hope he has a good career at Beer Bong State. The girls there are legendary.

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. Terry O'Keefe

I hope so Bobda, as much as I personally liked and rooted for Drew Pyne to be great he was merely good!! Sam Hartman with his experience and arm talent could be the next level. If he does end up with the Irish I am hopeful that we can get to double digit wins. We should have another good OL in front of him and good RB's, WR's will be unknown and he won't have Michael Mayer. With Ohio State, USC and Clemson on the schedule an undefeated season is highly unlikely and even a 1 loss season will involve a bit of magic.

But we could be a top 10 type of team with a bit of luck. I do hope he's ready for the fish bowl in which he'll be playing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Next season will be Hartman's sixth in college football, where he will play as a 24-year-old. He got the Wake Forest starting job as a true freshman in 2018. He was the backup in 2019 and was a redshirt sophomore in 2020 but did not lose a year of eligibility due to the pandemic.

Truthfully I'm not sure what Hartman gains by playing another year of colllege football. The NFL has tons of tape on him and even with another excellent season from him I doubt if their evaluation of him changes much.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I don't know what Hartman gains but ND could gain a lot by having an experienced QB who can PASS the ball which would compliment an established RUN game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I just learned this today.

Apparently a lot of people missed the fact that South Carolina is expected to miss 11 starters for the Gator Bowl due to opt-outs, transfers, and injuries. For those who aren’t math majors, that’s half of the starters on the team.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women got a sloppy road win over Miami 66-63. They were completely outhustled in the 2nd half, they played like they had 6 players. They were all over our players and forcing sloppy passes that they converted into turnovers and points. They were even frustrating Olivia Miles. They were smaller but much quicker than the Irish, that was the key.

But we made enough plays at the end to sneak out of town with the win. Next game is at home on New Years day vs Boston College.

10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I hope Hartman comes and blows everyone's doors off. He's not a big guy, but he's athletic and has a really good arm. Maybe he doesn't think he'll be a high end draft pick, so why not spend another Saturday in the fun playing on national television each week?

Regardless, I hope Narduzzi winds up crying himself to sleep over the whole thing.

11. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I don't know how the bookies can even establish odds on this game.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Pretty good crowd at the Gator Bowl today. Not a sellout but for a meaningless bowl pretty good.

Go Irish

• Like Like x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Well that didn't take long, Carolina scores on their first possession. Defense looks slow compared to those guys

14. Terry O'Keefe

Irish get a turnover and put 7 up on a Buchner TD run. So far he's not been good throwing the ball though. Has hit a couple including a big one to Mitchell Evans.

Defense even with the turnover still looked a step slow and Rattler has been deadly throwing the ball.

15. Terry O'Keefe

2 quick scores by Carolina, fake punt and a interception pick 6. Irish in a deep hole at 21-7

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

One team is playing with a lot more emotion. It doesn’t help the Irish if their QB is not completing passes downfield.

17. Terry O'Keefe

So. Carolina certainly seems to be the most fired up team, that's a credit to Shane Beamer. They have been creative with their offense and they got us on the fake punt.

They have the better QB and that is so critical in college football. Unless Golden comes up with something they are going to hang 40 on us easy

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

This supposed backup O line is giving him enough time to shred our D backfield.

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I watched SC vs Tennessee and knew we’d have big problems defending Rattler. He’s like the other SC QB. He could operate successfully with a 3rd string o-line.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Irish hold So.Carolina to a FG and then a 75 yd TD by the Irish and it's 24-17. We needed that big play for sure. Now if the defense can somehow hold them so they don't get another score before half!