Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Gip how did you end up such a big Lacrosse fan?

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My grandson Patrick who graduated from Cinn. last year played since he was about 8. He and his dad were at the crushing OT loss to Duke back in 2014. He not only played through HS but played club lacrosse for UC. Like a good grandfather, I've spent a lot on lacrosse equipment over the years.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've been a casual lacrosse fan for a while. I'm amazed at the raw speed and physicality of the men's game. While we tend to see lacrosse players as not on the same level as football players simply because of the physical differences, watching yesterday's barn burner convinced me that lacrosse players are true warriors with never-say-die hearts. Both teams refused to lose. Both teams dealt and absorbed significant physical punishment. I expect no less an effort in Monday's final.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
  4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I always thought that being a hockey goalie was about the most dangerous position in team sports. However, they're loaded with protective equipment including masks and pads on their legs. It must take a special kind of something to be a lacrosse goalie. And by the way the ND goalie made a great save with a couple of min. to go to keep the game in reach and make the victory possible. I'm glad my grandson was shooting and not stopping.
    As to Monday's game, sometimes you see a team so emotionally high for a playoff game that they aren't ready for the next round. I'll always remember Herb Brooks telling the US hockey team after they beat Russia, just before they took the ice in the finals against Finland, "if you lose this game you'll take it to you graves." We'll never know but it would have spoiled the story. It's fitting we're playing Duke. Maybe it's "get even" season.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

I think I have my favorite player in the 2023 class!

South Point H.S. (N.C.) four-star offensive lineman Sullivan Absher considered enrolling at Notre Dame early. But ultimately, he decided to finish his high school career with the rest of his classmates and enjoyed successful winter and spring athletic seasons.

Absher helped lead the basketball team to a school-record 25 victories and a deep playoff run.

Next, the golf team made regionals for the first time in years. The 6-foot-7 and 305-pound lineman typically shoots in the low 80s and drives the ball 300+ yards on a good day.

“We got to make a little history while I stuck around,” Absher said.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Time for a new topic.

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Based on the weather outside, I'd agree. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1