Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

The highlighted is the key.

When I think of…the recent release of information pertaining to the NCAA’s Academic Progress Report, Notre Dame is one of the national leaders among Football Bowl Subdivision programs.

Notre Dame received 14 perfect scores in cross country, men’s fencing, hockey, men’s swimming and diving, men’s track and field, rowing, softball, volleyball, women’s cross country, women’s fencing, women’s golf, women’s lacrosse, women’s swimming and diving, and women’s tennis.

The 14 programs with scores of 1,000 was just behind Duke’s 16. It marked the seventh time in 17 years in which Notre Dame has had at least 13 programs with perfect scores.

That, of course, doesn’t bring Notre Dame any closer to a national championship in football or men’s basketball, which is all that most Irish faithful care about. I totally get that. But just thought I’d throw that out there for those who take pride in the accomplishments of Notre Dame student-athletes across the board.

• Like Like x 2
  2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama's football APR is 995. I would just.like to point out that Oregon's football APR is 950. Oh the "stigmatism" of it all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Men's Lacrosse polished off UNC yesterday to finish off the regular season. Now on to the NCAA Tournament for both the men's and women's programs. From what I can gather the men have a legitimate shot at the Final Four and a Nat'l Title, Women not so much although they could advance.

Baseball lost their series with NCState this weekend. A disappointment, they have been playing well of late and NCState has been struggling.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men's lacrosse host Utah in the first round game. First time these two clubs have ever met.

Irish Women's lacrosse are in Gainesville for their first round game, it will be Mercer.

Irish Women's Softball host the ACC Tournament at Notre Dame. They are a #7 seed and go against #10 seed Ga.Tech.

Baseball has another weekend series at Boston College to wrap up their conference play and then the ACC Tournament.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Lots of talk now about Notre Dames exclusive contract with Under Armour being up and they are on the open market. I don't know of course what will happen, but why do I think there is probably no outcome that won't be criticized by some fans.

I'm not a big Nike guy, don't wear their golf gear, don't buy their shoes. Don't know anything about the Jordan Brand but they seem to be a big deal to some, Addidas I do have some of their gear.

Should be interesting though to watch what happens.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It's a lot of money involved but I don't really care which brand Alabama wears, although Russell is an Alabama company and it would be nice if they would wear that but they are not big enough to engage in the bidding wars of this era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah it is a lot of money. ND fans (some), have always been critical of the UA deal. Every time a ND player slipped they claimed it was due to crappy UA footware.

Many want to go back to Champion who were suppliers in the old days. But they really aren't big enough these days to pay the big bucks.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Our AD, Jack Swarbrick, gets daily criticism for just about everything around the Athletic Department. Fair or not.

8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Nike might be an interesting fit. They use the same tranny that did so much for Annheuser-Busch. For Nike he advertises sports bras. Think of the possibilities.

9. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I think this is a great get for the Irish. Seems like after the Irish express interest in him everyone wanted him.

Notre Dame needed another big splash on the recruiting trail as it pertains to the Transfer Portal and that is exactly what took place. Rhode Island safety transfer Antonio Carter II has committed to play ball for head coach Marcus Freeman and the Fighting Irish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Even better Tim that we snatched him right from under Brian Kelly's nose.

Notre Dame has added a late piece to the 2023 roster as Rhode Island graduate transfer safety Antonio Carter II has committed to the Fighting Irish.

Carter entered the portal in mid-April and quickly reeled in around 20 offers, but the decision to end his recruitment was an easy one following his official visit to Notre Dame.

How easy?

Carter was set to leave Notre Dame on Friday and head straight to Baton Rouge for his official visit, but that trip never happened despite LSU having a car service waiting outside The Gug.

After seeing Ole Miss, Wisconsin and Notre Dame, the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder informed Marcus Freeman he didn’t need to see more and a Notre Dame staffer called LSU and walked out to inform the car service that services were no longer needed.

BREAKING | Notre Dame Lands Graduate Transfer Antonio Carter II

11. Terry O'Keefe

The Irish also added a LB from Omaha who wasn't highly recruited, but when the coaches evaluated him they saw a lot of upside to the young man. From what I've read it sounds like he's this years version of Jack Kiser who also wan't highly recruited and played in a small school in Indiana.

Recruiting can move at a snail's pace or it can move at a much quicker speed.

For 2024 Westside High School (Neb.) linebacker Teddy Rezac‍, it’s moving at the speed of light as the 6-foot-4, 200-pounder was offered by Notre Dame on May 6th and was on campus less than 48 hours later for a two-day visit before going public with his verbal pledge on May 12th.

Football opened the door, but it was Notre Dame’s academics that made the decision easy for the three-star prospect.

“Playing that top level of football where Notre Dame is with the addition of getting a great degree that can set me up for life,” Rezac told Irish Sports Daily regarding his reasons for choosing the Irish.

BREAKING | 2024 LB Teddy Rezac Commits to Notre Dame

12. Tim Gentry

yes!

13. Terry O'Keefe

Made possible by this, rough 1st year for Link Jarrett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Both lacrosse teams made it through to the next round.

Men slashed Utah, while the women's team beat both Mercer and Florida in their Regional in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Irish got another verbal from a 2024 LB, Bodie Kahoun from Virginia. He's not the kind of verbal though that will make Saban, or Smart go "man look at the Irish we'd better take it up a notch". We are getting a lot of good players and if they develop they will be potentially great college players. But our roster isn't building in away that gets us into the same league with what Georgia or Alabama or Ohio State are in from a HS Talent standpoint. Doesn't mean we can't be very successful but they have to really be good in evaluation and development.

From a rankings standpoint, Kahoun is listed as a three-star recruit per the 247Sports Composite rankings. He’s the No. 428 overall player in the country, No. 36 linebacker nationally and No. 7 recruit in Virginia. 247Sports has him listed outside the Top247 as a three-star recruit with 88 overall rating, the No. 51 linebacker in the country and No. 10 talent in his home state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men's lacrosse took down Johns Hopkins today and advance to the final 4. Unfortunately, they have to face UVA a team that has given them their only 2 losses of the season.

Irish women are out after getting a beat down from Boston College.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat a team in any sport three times in a row.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

More than once we've gone into the finals the favored team and been upset (usually by that damn Duke) Now maybe it's our time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tim Gentry

Terry,
    The Kahoun kid looks good on the videos I saw but what do I know. He’ll probably end up a 4* eventually.
    It hard for me to get excited as I use to about recruiting with everything going on and I really don’t believe any of them are really committed anymore until they show up for fall camp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sad but true Tim!:(

• Agree Agree x 1