Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Little or no depth at QB.

2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Well crap!

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Well there goes the hope that he'd start the 24 season while Carr develops. He doesn't think he can be picked up by Alabama does he?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I can't imagine that Alabama would be interested, they already have a QB in the Milroe kid whose skill set is heavy on what he can do running vs passing. If he's going to find a place it's going to have to be at the lower end of the Power 5 or even a Group of 5 school.

As far as depth at QB, that's not a uncommon situation these days, just look at Alabama last season. Behind Bryce Young was an unproven young kid in Milroe. BackUp QB's don't stick around a lot of programs.

At Texas if Quinn Ewers goes down we have 2 QB's who have never played a down of college football although they have talent in Malik Murphy and Arch Manning.

I doubt if Texas A&M has any depth at QB.

LSU does though, they have a returning starter in Jaylon Daniels and the kid who is the backup, Garrett Nussmeier, has played quite a bit and has looked very good when he's gotten into the game.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I was only half kidding about Bama. Their OC did recruit him and he knows his system. At least he'd be a backup with game experience although he has a playing life of 1 1/2 game.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Well it's now being reported that he's going to visit Alabama. Color me pretty shocked.

7. Terry O'Keefe

It's all happening pretty fast.

8. George Krebs

Hard to build a team these days isn't it? The best coaches from now on are the ones that can rebuild a team on the fly in 3-4 months every year and be a contender.

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Short memories, guys. Last season, many, many fans - and most here - spent the season denigrating Buchner's abilities, while he demonstrated the ability to be an effective leader and a good, if not AA level, passer. Now, ironically, there's disappointment that he's leaving because it hurts our QB depth. I don't know where he'll land, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him start at Alabama. Any team he joins will be fortunate to have him. I wish him success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My memory is a little different about Buchner. I recall he started 3 games last year. We were 1-2 in those games. He seems to me to be injury prone. It's really great that all that preparation for the bowl game was wasted on a QB who was moving on.

11. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

He misses his senior year in high school due to injury. He got hurt in the 2nd game, I believe, like last year.. the kid can ball but I wonder about durability.

As for Bama, once you get beyond the curtain, you'll find that they have 4 pretty bad qbs. Just my 2 cents.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Hence my distrust in the star system for rating recruits. Hopefully at least one of the four will step up. This is the first time in a long while that Alabama has not known who will be the starting QB going into the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. George Krebs

Nothing wrong with my memory. I won't speak for anyone else. I simply predicted accurately that Buchner would pack his bags and scram on the heels of his performance in the spring game. Because that is what most of these kids will do this day. I'll further predict he will end up home in Cali, playing for a team there who needs a QB. And I observed that we have no depth because we don't. The critique of Angeli was that he looked lost and that Minchem looked overwhelmed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I certainly don't have any ill will towards Buchner for going into the portal, even going through Spring. I think he wanted to compete for the job and not just leave as soon as Hartman signed on to the roster. Same as I didn't begrudge Drew Pyne going to the Portal after the USC loss. The way things work, esp with the fall window, is the sooner you are in the more options you have for your next school.

I did find it odd that many of those same people who hoped that Drew Pyne would be benched many times during the season and hoped he wouldn't be the QB in 2023 were pissed he didn't stay for the bowl game. Same for Buchner, much criticism for him especially after his 1st 2 games as the starter and a lot of wishing we'd get somebody from the Portal because none of the QB's on the roster were good enough to get us to the playoffs. Now that he's going he's being criticized for going through Spring Drills, I am sorry he's leaving I think he could be a solid backup for Hartman and maybe be ready to be a much better QB and the Starter in 2024.

More than a few wanted to ditch Pyne and play Angeli because of his play and right after the B/G game a bunch of people said Buchner was never going to be the guy and hoped that the staff would put Angeli and Minchey ahead of him. Oh and not to mention that many were calling for CJ Carr to reclassify into the 2023 class so he could come in and be the starter in 2023.

Same for Tommy Rees, jeez how many posts did I read that Rees sucks and needed to be fired at the end of the season or even during the season. Then when he gets the offer to go to the top program in college football under the top coach in the last 50 years and takes it, he's a traitor.

Also I'm not worried about QB depth, if Hartman goes down he goes down and Angeli and Minchey will have had all summer and fall to get up to speed. It's the same place a ton of College programs find themselves in these days as backup QB's move on to new schools.

I'm betting that had today's rules been in place in the Montana days he'd have never won a NC at ND he'd have already left for another school. He didn't come out of Spring in 1977 as the #1 QB, that was Rusty Lisch I believe.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Montana was the #3 QB to start the 1977 season behind Lisch and Gary Forestyk. I was at the Purdue game in Lafayette, 3rd game of the season, when both Lisch and Forestyk were knocked out of the game. An ambulance drove onto the field to remove Forestyk. We were down 24-14 when Montana came in. We won 31-24, and, as they say, the rest is history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Hey...I've got golf fever...can you guys start a Domer Spring thread please.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Purdue.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Buchner now at Alabama. I wish him well. Ya never know in college football.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I am really amazed at how this all turned out.