Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

No word on whether or not this was a full ACL or something less., I am seeing some comments that there is hope she can rehab over the summer, not sure if an ACL would have that quick of a recovery. But surgery is getting better all the time.

I imagine we all knew it, Sid, but 23 years later just forgot.

2. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of names are stating to be talked about replacing Mike Brey.

Darian DeVries the Drake HC, he also has a son who is a soph and an All-MVC player who would be a nice addition if dad takes the job.

Matt Langel of Colgate.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

"I imagine we all knew it, Sid, but 23 years later just forgot."

Forgot what?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women started on a 16-0 run in the opening minutes of the game with Southern Utah and never looked back for and 82-56 2t win. Next up is a dangerous Mississippi State team that has the size to match the Irish in the paint

5. Terry O'Keefe

ND just announced that the Sept 23 game with Ohio State will be a Green Jersey game. Irish wear green and so do the fans.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I really hate to interrupt the party, but ;)!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women to the Sweet 16 in about as ugly a game as you will want to see. Neither team could shoot worth a damn. We shot 34% to their 29% and both were terrible with their free throws. Sonia Citron who was 2-12 from the field was the key as she was 10-14 from the line. Lauren Ebo though was the MVP with a ton of rebounds and blocked shots.

We play the winner of the Maryland/Arizona game in the Sweet 16. Maryland beat us on a buzzer beater at home early in the season.

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry you seldom mention Men's Lacrosse but ND is currently ranked no.1.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Thanks Mike, I do have to admit I don't really follow Lacrosse. But I have noted that the Men's team seems to be really good this year with some big wins, beating Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan recently quite handily. The Women are doing well also, currently ranked at #11.

Irish baseball lost 2 out of 3 to #4 ranked Wake Forrest this weekend, they are sitting just above .500 right now. It's early to speculate on the direction of the program under the new coach. He had a lot to replace from last years CWS squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, re: Baseball. I agree with your assessment. Given how much we lost from last year's team, a .500 record at this young stage of the season doesn't look too bad to me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women have 2 more highly rated freshmen on the way and Emma Risch is one of them. Hannah Hildago from Jersey is the other.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Irish have offers out to 2 big time recruits whose fathers played for the Irish.

Of course everybody knows who Jerome Bettis, Jt's dad is and he's a WR not a bruiser like pops.

The other guy is James Flanigan whose dad Jim Played on that '93 team. He came to ND as a highly rated FB/LB and after not making it at either of those positions found his home on the DL and finished strong at ND. Son James is a TE/LB for Notre Dame HS in Green Bay.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Rumors are that Penn State's Shrewsberry has interviewed with ND, Prister has posted also that the Creighton coach has also had contact with ND. Either would be excellent hires.

Mike Brey's name continues to be associated with the USF job. He reportedly wants to be in Florida to be nearer to his son who is a HS coach at IMG.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like we might have a new Basketball coach.

Notre Dame is finalizing a deal to make Penn State's Micah Shrewsberry the school's next men's basketball head coach, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Shrewsberry will sign a seven-year contract with the Fighting Irish, sources told ESPN. He turned down a lucrative long-term contract extension from Penn State, sources said, with the pull of going back home being a factor in his decision.

15. Terry O'Keefe

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I knew he had been an assistant at Butler and Purdue, but I just learned tonight that he is originally from Indianapolis and went to Cathedral High School. Now I understand the part about coming back home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Good read from Mike Coffey, ND uberfan.

The 46-year-old Shrewsberry, a native of Indianapolis (where his family had connections to Swarbrick) and head coach in Happy Valley for the last two years, reportedly will become the 18th head coach of the Fighting Irish — and (pretty much) only the third in the last 53 years. Terms are unknown as of this writing, but reports indicate it will be a seven-year deal.

Shrewsberry drew national attention as he awakened the moribund Nittany Lion program and led it to its first NCAA tournament victory since 2001 with an upset win over seventh-seeded Texas A&M before bowing out in a close loss to second-seeded Texas. That success bore fruit, as PSU recently signed its highest-rated recruiting class ever.

He also brings some local experience to bear besides growing up in Indy. He played at Hanover, assisted at Wabash, DePauw, Purdue & Butler — where Brad Stevens thought enough of his abilities to bring him to the Celtics with him — and was the head coach for two seasons at IUSB.

Notes from the Geetar: Hope in the Shrewd Berry

• Like Like x 2
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women go down to Maryland, I didn't see the game as the weather was beautiful today and I hit the links instead, but from the homer comments I'm reading the difference was that Maryland got us into foul trouble and shot much better from 3 point territory and wore us down with their depth.

Great season though for the Irish women, losing both their starting guards was really hard to overcome. We started out in the bottom of the top 25 and worked our way up to being a solid top 10 team all season. Roster was too thin though to overcome the key injuries. We have 2 freshmen coming who are highly rated and should help a lot next season. But we also need to add some players through the portal.

Certainly, like all teams we have to hope that we don't lose key players to the portal. I've seen players who were starters for their teams enter the portal. Nobody knows why, maybe it's more NIL money maybe it's they don't really like their coach, want to play in a different style, etc. But players are moving who are successful at their current school.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know much about weight lifting but this looks impressive.

• Winner Winner x 1