Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Okay. I’m not sold on the OC yet but a closer look at the new QB Coach seems like it’s a pretty good hire. Actually, I guess we took him from Wisconsin/Fickell.

if they find a descent OL coach it could make the new OC hire feel much better to me also.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Ghosts of the past.

Happy 70th birthday to former Notre Dame fullback Wayne Bullock. The senior from Newport News, VA set the tone of the 1975 Orange Bowl against #1 Alabama, scoring the game's first touchdown on a 4 yard run. Bullock and the Fighting Irish upset the #1 Crimson Tide 13-11. Bullock was named Notre Dame's MVP for the game. The 1975 Orange Bowl was the final game for then Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian. It also marked the second consecutive year, Notre Dame beat #1 Alabama in a bowl game. The Irish beat the Crimson Tide in the 1973 Sugar Bowl to claim the national championship.
    The 6'0, 235 pound Bullock was selected in the 5th round by the San Francisco 49ers in the 1975 NFL Draft. However, a severe knee injury in training camp ended his career. Bullock now resides in North Carolina where has worked in human resources and labor relations management in the telecommunications field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Not my fondest memories!:(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women travel to Pitt today, Pitt's record doesn't reflect how good they are, they gave us all we could handle at home a week or so ago and I expect we will have to fight and claw to get a win today. Hopefully they quickly put that dramatic win over Louisville behind them.

The men lost again yesterday to UVA, they gave them a good game and had their chances but couldn't close it out. As I said I don't see another win for Mike Brey this season. I hope I'm wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women got out fast against Pitt and never let them in the game, winning handily 83-43. Only 2 more regular season games, home vs Ga. Tech and then away vs Louisville. Reg season ACC crown is with in reach if they win both and Duke loses one. But they are guaranteed a bye in the ACC Tourney.

Irish Baseball didn't get off to a good start, lost 2 out of 3 to Lipscomb. Not a good start.

6. Terry O'Keefe

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I remember well. As a senior in 1966, I headed the committee for the construction and operation of the Indianapolis Club booth in Stepan Center. I never went to the downtown concerts during Mardi Gras, but I saw some nice acts in the spring concerts at Stepan Center: Peter, Paul and Mary, Ray Charles, etc. I always attended the Collegiate Jazz Festival at the Old Fieldhouse toward the end of March. I can't sing a lick or play an instrument, but I always have loved Jazz music. My older cousin was there once with the IU Jazz Ensemble. Probably TMI. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I remember that I had a girlfriend that I was stuck on and Mardi Gras was a great weekend during those cold gray ND winters. Nowadays, that girlfriend is stuck with me.

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Tim Gentry

Possible new OL Coach Matt Luke and his family were in South Bend yesterday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Does seem to be a buzz about him. He retired from coaching a year ago at Georgia to spend more time with his family. So is he serious about getting back into coaching? He's got a solid resume and I'd be happy with the hire. We'll have to wait and see.

Freeman and the new OCoord Gerad Parker had press conferences. Both were very good and upbeat as you would expect. Freeman acknowledged the discussions with Colin Klien and Ludwig and said for their reasons they decided to stay at their current jobs. He said Swarbrick supported doing whatever is necessary to make it happen. Which is of course completely opposite of what those who have strong dislike for Swarbrick say actually happened. I don't know of course what happened. But I'm ready to move on and I hope Parker and the new QB coach are a good team and are effective at their jobs.

You can bet though that any perceived misstep by the offense will be jumped on immediately by some as proof that the hire was a mistake from day 1 and all because Swarbrick was too cheap to pay for a good coordinator.

I can't wait for the search for Mike Brey's successor to get into gear. More angst.

Speaking of Mike Brey the Men lost again last night, another game they fought hard but failed to get the win. 3 more games, likely to finish dead last in the ACC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tim Gentry

ditto

Luke sounds like he would be great for ND but is HE ready for ND and college football again is the question.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Luke is apparently not going to be the OL coach. His family apparently loves living in Athens Georgia and i imagine it was culture shock to go to South Bend when the Temps are below freezing. I am actually wondering why he even made the trip, there is no way that his family was going to fall in love with South Bend in late Feb and tell dad that they want to move.

Ladies basketball finishes the regular season tomorrow in Louisville a team that they had to go to OT with and win on a last second shot at home. Louisville star, Haley Van Lith, has alread said publically that they are eager to get another shot at ND and that they don't lose at home and don't lose on Sr. night. Irish in for quite a battle and will have to play their very best to come away with the win.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Didn't watch as I was out enjoying the nice weather on the golf course. But the Irish women went to Louisville and beat them 68-65. They lost their star PG in Olivia Miles late in the 1st half to a knee injury and were down at the half. But they came out in the 2nd half and took care of business to erase the lead and finish them off. Particularily big given that Duke lost today and the win secured them the Regular season Championship. It's unknown of course at this point what the extent of Miles knee injury is and I won't be shocked if she doesn't play in the ACC Tournament even if there is no ligament damage.

It's the 1st ACC Championship since 2018-19 season when they lost in the NCAA Finals to Baylor.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey had a good weekend in Ann Arbor, beating Michigan 1 time in a shoot out and then outright in the 2nd game.

That got us into the 4th seed and we get to host the 1st round of the Big 10 Hockey Tourney, Michigan State will be the opponent.

Baseball won 2 out of 3 vs UNC-Greensboro and Softball won 5 games in a Florida Tourney.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Senior Night for Irish Mens Basketball is Wed then they finish the season on the road at Clemson.

Mike Brey continues to say he's not retiring, just leaving Notre Dame. Nobody knows what he's going to do, coach, go to the broadcast booth or whatever. He is however going to be part of a group who helps Jack Swarbrick select the next coach at ND.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

He could always open a restaurant in town like Digger did.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Didn't know that, was it successful? Digger of course was very successful as a broadcaster.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It was call Parisi's if I recall right. It was pretty close to the stadium near the Linebacker. It was in business for a number of years. Not sure if Digger was owner all those years.

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Seems this was a good weekend for ND sports. Besides winning the ACC Women's BB championship, we also won the ACC championships in men's and women's fencing on the same day. 3 in 1....nice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like Joe Rudolph, Va Tech OL coach will be our next OL coach. He was also with Wisconsin for a number of successful seasons.

Somebody said that if Matt Luke was a home run hire, then this is a bases clearing double. :D

• Like Like x 2