Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Keep an eye out for this guy, he has history with ND DL Coach Al Washington.

It was announced Monday evening that Ohio State defensive end Javontae Jean-Baptiste is the latest Buckeye to enter the transfer portal.

Jean-Baptiste recently completed his fifth season with at Ohio State, reaching new career highs with 19 tackles (4.5 for loss) to go with four sacks on the year. The former four-star prospect – originally a linebacker out of Bergen Catholic in Oradell, N.J., in the 2018 class – leaves Columbus having played in 47 games with six starts, accounting for 53 tackles (10.5 for loss) with eight sacks, a forced fumble and a pass breakup.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

According to one ND site Jean-Baptiste visited ND. Staff wants him. Who knows???

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Okay, things happen fast. Good or bad, Baptiste is Irish now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Can't see how this pickup is bad. My doubts about the D are ebbing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I think you got a solid edge rusher. I was a fan of JJB, my guess is he just got caught up in a numbers game and wasn't getting the snaps he wanted. A little light in the britches and perhaps not as stout against the run as those in front of him, but he's long, rangy and can run. I always thought he'd develop into a top notch pass rusher. Happy for him

• Informative Informative x 5
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Zach Martin is one great OL!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Indianapolis boy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Great stat. Would look good on his HOF plaque.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Irish men collapsed in the 2nd half last night at Syracuse and blew a very winable game. The 'Cuse were lead by 4 Freshmen who outplayed our 4 or 5 Grad Students. The paint points were something like 40 for them 20 for us. Live by the 3 and died by the three. I was watching the Chargers/Jags game and it was out of hand with the Chargers killing them so when I checked on the Irish score I saw we were winning and had a double digit lead I switched to the game just in time to follow the collapse while afterwards I saw that the Jags had staged an incredible comeback and beat the Chargers at the bell. :(

Long season for the Irish men.

Ladies get the 'Cuse at home today. They are a good team under their new coach, won't be a cakewalk like the win vs Wake Forrest. The ACC is just stacked with good teams this year.

Irish Hockey did split with the #2 ranked Gophers beating them in a shootout on Friday and getting shutout last night. Been a mediocre season we're 10-11-3 overall. Will have to win the Big 10 Tournament to get to the post season and that's not very likely.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women battled Syracuse even up for most of 3 quarters and took charge in the 4th qtr for a solid 72 - 56 win.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Speaks for itself:

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men were soundly beaten by FSU at home last night. Final Score is misleading. When the "Noles got up by 22 points midway 2nd half they lost their focus and let us creep back. I think had they been able to maintain their focus it would have been a 30 point beat down.

2023 schedule is out. 2 late season bye's. I wonder how many of the ACC opponents will have bye's before their matchup with the Irish.

Notre Dame Announces 2023 Football Schedule

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Notice that our first three games as Navy, Tenn. St. and NC State. Bet our QB will be looking forward to that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I think this is best for all. I wish Mike Brey nothing but the best and am sorry he's not likely to go out on top.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

He's a nice guy. Durocher would have loved him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's leaving with dignity and, at least publicly, on his own terms. This season is a terrible disappointment, and the program is struggling, but for me it doesn't dim what he's accomplished over the past 20+ years. There have been some fun times when outstanding players he's recruited have carried the team on their shoulders to heights ND fans have no right to expect. On many occasions, the team has won games it shouldn't have won. There never has been even a sniff of wrongdoing. Unfortunately, on balance, the program never has been able to sustain high-level success. In today's college basketball world, ND doesn't stand much of a chance for continued excellence. Perhaps the next coach can bring in players who can both play at the highest level and meet the school's academic demands.

P.S. We'll see if this mid-season announcement spurs the team to play out the schedule more aggressively to "win for the coach". Not likely but I'm always hopeful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women had to fight and claw their way to an ACC road win at Clemson. Clemson out shot us overall and from 3pt land. Our defense though was really tough tonight and kept us in the game. I thought we'd finish them off at the end but even though in general we are a good free throw shooting team our best 3 went to the line and collectively were 3 of 7 with Maddy missing 4 out of 5 including 4 in a row inside a minute that would have pretty much sealed it.

Right now it seems we are in a bit of a shooting funk, and really we don't have anybody we can count on for a 3 point shot. Dara Mabrey who in her career is known for being a 3 point shooter can't buy one in the last 3 or 4 games. Olivia Miles as great as she is isn't a good 3 point shooter and both Maddy Westbeld and Sonia Citron seem to be reluctant to shoot them.

This one falls into the category of be thankful for the win and go home to get ready for UVA on Sunday.

18. Terry O'Keefe

I don't really watch hockey (college or pro) but I do sort of keep up if we are winning or losing. Right now we are pretty much a .500 team. We did pickup a road win at Penn State last night. They are ranked in the top 10, so a good win esp at their rink. I'm going to guess we split with them.

Baseball/Softball will be cranking up pretty soon along with college Golf and lacrosse. It'll certainly be interesting if the new baseball coach can keep the momentum going that Link Jarrett had at ND.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Funny remembrance of Mike Brey by Jay Bilas. Worth watching until the end.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

• Like Like x 1