Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Tough road loss to FSU, they are a long and athletic team that gave us a lot of problems. I guess we have never won at Tallahassee.

They were hot shooting the 3's,and the 50-50 balls seemed to go their way. We settled for to many quick 3's in the 2nd half.

Need to win Sat at home to lock up a#2 seed.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Well a big upset of Louisville by Miami with a 3pt shot at the buzzer opens things up for the Irish women to get to the final. Still have to go out and beat Ga Tech tonight, a team that we had to go to OT to beat recently.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Great all around game from the Irish women tonight. Olivia Miles was masterful tonight, got great play from Maddy and Sam and Sonia.

Next up is the Hurricanes.

Irish Hockey lost to Wisconsin tonight, puts their backs against the wall in a best of 3 series.

Baseball beat Illinois and Softball beat James Madison.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women lost a tough close game to Miami, it hurt that they got off to a terrible start and hardly scored in the 1st quarter, found their legs in the 2nd qtr to tie it up at half.

The second half was close all the way but at crucially important points in the 4th qtr we turned the ball over.

Miami just made the plays when needed. Had we won we'd have hosted the first round, now we will go on the road.

Irish men cruised over Pitt.

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Center Jarrett Patterson tears his pectoral muscle in the weight room. Hopefully back in the fall.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey rose to the challenge and took out Wisconsin in 3 games this past weekend. Next up for them is Michigan at Ann Arbor in the semifinal. We swept them in the regular season, and they are a very good squad, so it is hard to imagine we can win 2 out of 3, at some point the law of averages has to make its appearance.

Baseball swept the weekend tourney in Minneapolis with Illinois, Michigan State and Minnesota.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

upload_2022-3-8_14-48-11.jpeg

8. Terry O'Keefe

Springfield, Mass. (March. 7, 2022) — The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced today the five finalists for the 2022 Nancy Lieberman Point Guard of the Year Award. Named after the Class of 1996 Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman, the annual award now in its 23rd year recognizes the top point guards in NCAA Division I college women’s basketball.

The five finalists for the 2022 Nancy Lieberman Award are Veronica Burton (Northwestern), Khayla Pointer (LSU), Caitlin Clark (Iowa), Olivia Miles (Notre Dame) and Destanni Henderson (South Carolina).

Five finalists announced for 2022 Nancy Lieberman Award

9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Read an in depth critique of ND's players in the NFL Combine. Kyle Hamilton tested great except in the 40 where he was the second slowest of all the safeties. They think he will drop a few spots as a result. Kyren Williams tested poorly and was the slowest of 27 RBs. They believe he is 4th round or lower. I think he really screwed up leaving early. Kevin Austin tested better than expected but his injury and off field history is expected to drop him to 4th round or lower. Likewise, I think he made a mistake leaving early. Jack Coan tested better than expected but his lack of mobility renders him a late round or FA pick. The rest are expected to showcase at the ND Pro day.

10. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

agreed

11. Terry O'Keefe

I think that shows how the Irish were a good but not elite team in 2022. No doubt that Kyren was a really good college running back and I won't be surprised if he makes an NFL squad and barring injuries lasts 5 years in the NFL. But he's just not got the measureables that the NFL needs to make him a high draft choice, he's a bit small, he's not really fast, etc. I don't blame him for going after last season, none of those things were going to improve and for RB's it's all about mileage. Kevin Austin on the other hand might have improved his standing, and could have benefited from another year. But he graduated and I don't blame anybody for taking their degree and moving on to the next level.

Hamilton will still be a top draft pick so good for him, and his speed was the only thing that hurt, he excelled at all the other things in the combine. Good luck to him.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Irish are underdogs to Va Tech tonight, 1-1.5 points. We played them only once during the season, at Blacksburg, and lost 79-73.

We will have to play well to win, I think we really need to win as well. Close loss and we might get in but a bad loss puts us in danger

13. Tim Gentry

He and Hamilton should have played in the bowl game. I think they owed that to the school and it would have made a difference. Just my opinion but.......

14. Terry O'Keefe

Hard to say about Hamilton since he was coming off of a legitimate injury, but Kyren should have played.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If you would not play in a team's bowl game because of your potential draft position then don't accept being named captain. As the saying goes, "there's no 'I' in team."

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Irish came out cold and Va.Tech hot and they put us in a big hole getting up by as many as 16 in the 1st half, we closed it down a little and they are up 11 at halftime. They seem to have nothing but open shots and they are playing great defense and the Irish seem to have nothing but tightly contested shots.

The end of the half play is one I hate, at all levels of basketball. We have the ball with 20 secs left sho Hubb is instructed to dribble it around outside and take the last shot. Problem is as so often happens by the time Hubb decides to make a move it's around 5 secs and we never even got off a shot due to the excellent Hokie defense. Frustrates the hell out of me, I wish somebody could convince me this is a good strategy. It seems that at least 50% of the time when we do get off a shot it's a rushed and contested shot.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Well the hole the Irish dug in the 1st half was just too deep, and Tech was too good to let them come back. They got it to single digits, as close as 5 points, but Tech wouldn't let them finish. Tech shot the ball well, and most impressively they way they moved the ball on the interior. They passed the ball inside very well with their 2 big men for dunks or deft jump hooks from close.

Stats were more even that I thought watching the game. But they just had our number, they never trailed in the game. The announcers say we are still in, this isn't a bad loss, Va.Tech is a team that is peaking at the right time but still I'll be on pins and needles on selection Sunday.

Both Irish Men and Women lost to lower seeds in the the ACC Tourney, both got off to slow starts and fought back but never could gain control. Women are solidly in the tourney though.

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The men are solidly in the tourney. Don't think otherwise. I have no idea where we'll be seeded but we're in.

19. Tim Gentry

Terry,

Time for Notre Dame Spring! Practice starts next Thursday! Practice, yeah, Practice!!:)

• Agree Agree x 1