Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I'm hearing Chansi Stuckey as new WR coach. Not much experience

2. Tim Gentry

correction, Stuckey IS the new WR coach

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Speculation that Stuckey just might draw a transfer of one of Baylor's top wr, who entered the portal, RJ Sneed.

Out of the Blue, Mike Elston has jumped ship. Going to Ann Arbor. I am really shocked by this move. I really thought he was a ND lifer at this point.
    It's a lateral move, he won't be the UM DCoord, maybe it's about money although I would hate to think it was that.

Maybe he just doesn't really care for Freeman. They only worked together last season, maybe he didn't like that Freeman stated right away that the new DCoord was coming from outside the program. Never considered him.

Maybe Freeman really did not want him on the staff for whatever the reasons.

4. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't remember that Elston was a Michigan alum, so it makes a little more sense now.

Elston, a University of Michigan alum from 1993-96 and a three-year letter winner with the Wolverines as an outside linebacker, has been extremely successful during his time as a college assistant coach. Starting out as a student assistant and video intern at Michigan back in 1997, he would become a graduate assistant focusing on outside linebackers in 1999.

5. Tim Gentry

I didn't either. Still doesn't explain why he is leaving after he said he enjoyed coaching at ND so much. I guess money talks.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women got a nice win on the road at Wake Forrest. I watched most of the game, we had big lead going to the 4th qtr but played sloppy and the final score doesn't reflect how dominant we were for the first 3 quarters.

Good to see Sam Brunelle get more playing time, she wasn't healthy last year and has been coming along slowly this year, mostly as the 6th player.

Oliva Miles continues to impress at the point.

If we can stay healthy I think this team can have a great season. We have a good mix of young stars in the making and some veterans

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey got a big win at Ohio State last night, 3-2, in OT. It's a big series as the Irish and Buckeyes are essentially tied for 3rd place behind Mich and Minnesota in the Big 10 Hockey standings.

Irish Men are at a struggling Va. Tech team that has yet to win an ACC conference game. Irish are currently at 4-1 right behind 5-1 Miami.

The Women get a very tough UNC team at home on Sunday. Should be a great game to gauge how good this team is, UNC is 14-1. Some questions after the last game. Sonia Citron didn't play after getting hammered by a Wake Forrest player and I saw Olivia Miles limping a bit as she left the court after the game.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Jon Heacock is not going to be the Irish DCoord, focus seems to be on former Stanford DCoord, current Auburn DCoord, Derek Mason along with current Houston DCoord Doug Belk who just got a big raise to stay at Houston. It would be a big loss for the Houston Cougars for Belk to leave that's for sure. They really went all out to give him the most money they have ever paid for an Asst Coach.

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The Irish just plain let this one get away at Va. Tech. Final 79-73 after an 8 point Irish lead at half and 10 points early in 2nd half. The Hokies, 0-4 in the ACC, were fighting for respect. They wanted it more than we did. They got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Tech turned up the heat on defense in the 2nd half, and as Sid said they really showed a lot of heart in the 2nd half.

But Cormac Ryan late missing both his free throws was the real nail.

It really looked like Va Tech was a lot better than the 0-4 ACC record suggested.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I agree with Brey's assessment.

“Their front line was really hard for us to handle, their two big guys,” said Brey. “They really went inside on us and we were really so worried about helping—even though they made ten 3s, so I don’t know if we did a good job of either (defending inside or outside) today—but their post stuff, their two big guys are relentless. They’re physical and athletic and are just hard to guard.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

True. Atkinson played well, but when he sat with four fouls, they had their way with us under their offensive boards. Re: 3's. IMO it's hard to defend the 3-pointer when a team or shooter is hot. Basically, again IMO, VT was a much better team last night than their 0-4 conference record, and as a team we weren't mentally prepared for their second half surge. I still like our team and its potential. I believe we just need to get tougher for all 40 minutes. I hope we'll be able to wedge our way into the NCAA tournament.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey loses to Ohio State last night, splitting the weekend series. Their goalie was unbeatable, man he's a big kid and from Czech Republic.

14. Tim Gentry

RB Coach Taylor going to Louisville. This shuffle is never going to end. Players and coaches moving all over the place. Crazy

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Talk among fans is to bring back Tony Alford, current Ohio State RB coach.

Not sure why he would leave, unless he is given a big raise

16. Terry O'Keefe

Al Washington, who was let go by Ryan Day this past week as the Buckeyes LB coach, was hired today by Marcus Freeman as the Irish DL coach to replace Mike Elston.

Freeman and Washington were on the same Cincinnati staff back in 2017.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Boy lot of staff turnover.

One thing that the new guys are all known as great recruiters.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women in quite a battle with UNC, down 1 at half. Fought back from 9 down at one point. Olivia Miles with 3 fouls and that will be a problem in the 2nd half.

19. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I am willing to guess Al Washington was a victim of circumstances. Coach Knowls wanted some of own staff to transfer to Ohio State. Washington did a good job and was an excellent recruiter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women get a hard fought win over UNC, great game. They came out on fire and ran of 17-4 then UNC had a run of its own and got it back to within 2 points, but they could get no closer.

Irish defense turned them over a lot and Dara Mabrey did what Mabrey's do and hit a bunch of 3's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1