Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

It is definitely winter in South Bend ( and everywhere else in the Upper Midwest).

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Some chatter that Northwestern safety Brandon Joseph who’s in the portal has a strong interest in ND. Lets go Brandon.

3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

The loss to OK St still hurts even after almost a week. To lose like that….we’ll….anyway it seems a little ironic that two key factors were defense and no run game especially when you consider our two best players were Opt Outs on defensive backfield and running back. I’m just sayin…. Both professed how much the like Marcus Freeman but at the first chance to prove it you left him. Enjoy your life in the NFL young men. You let your Coach and school down.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've heard many a story about figuring out how to get to class in knee deep snow in South Bend.
    Did you get that lake effect snow in Ann Arbor, Bob?

5. Bobdawolverweasel

I don’t think the southeast side of the state got hit. Westside got pounded with about a foot of lake effect snow. Below zero windchill here in MKE but not much snow. With the bitter cold and Omicron cases surging here, makes social distancing
    at home an easy choice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Bob I was thinking more of your student days at UM.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Starting to see rumblings that Logan Diggs is a transfer risk. Hard to believe he's set to be a big part of the offense next year. But during his recruitment it was always talk about as a high risk that he would flip to LSU, apparently even though he got a good amount of playing time he's not especially happy

8. Bobdawolverweasel

Terry, think the cold has impacted my brain functioning. The answer to your question is no. Usually the lake effect only impacts areas within 50 miles or so east from Lake Michigan. AA in the the SE corner of the state so it avoids the Lake Michigan snow machine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Its colder than my mother in laws heart lately!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Bobda is correct re: the lake effect coverage zone, which includes South Bend. My favorite story is from my freshman year, during the Ice Age. It was Christmas break and a lot of snow had fallen in the days prior to the break. There was somewhere around 10-12" on the ground. I took a bus home to Indianapolis, headed south. By the time we got to the Plymouth area, about 15-20 miles south of South Bend, there was no snow at all on the ground. That's when I learned about lake effect snow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women have Covid issues and the game with NC State is postponed.

Irish Hockey took care of business on home ice vs Penn State

Football got a nice pickup from the transfer portal Brandon Joseph a Safety from Northwestern. He's one of the few non-grad transfers the Irish have taken. It helps that he comes from an elite academic school in Northwestern. He is from Texas and developed into a All Big 10 Safety and Pro Football Focus rated him as an All-American Strong Safety. It's a position of big need for 2022.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bobdawolverweasel

First team All American as chosen by the AFCA and AP in 2020. Had a down year in 2021 but NU had a new defensive coordinator that year after their long time coordinator retired after 2020 and the defense as a whole was markedly worse. Here he is in the 2020 B10 championship game:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

As I said in my previous post Let’s go Brandon.

14. Terry O'Keefe

More good news!
    Isiah Foskey is returning to the Irish for his Senior year! Really big for the defense next year.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

From ISD

The California native could have very well been a 1st round pick this spring, but Foskey is betting on himself and Notre Dame to enhance his game to put him in the Top 10 in the 2023 NFL Draft.

"It's been more like talking about what's best for me and my family," stated Foskey in Novemeber. "What they can do for me and what I can build upon."

Foskey will now have a chance not only to lead the Notre Dame defense in 2022, but also earn that “C” on his chest along with taking aim on some sack records.

In 2021, Foskey’s 11 sacks finished No. 3 in the record books for sacks in a season as he's only behind Justin Tuck (13.5) and Stephon Tuitt (12.0). The Tuck’s career sack record (24.5) is also well within reach as Foskey will enter 2022 with 15.5 sacks.

16. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

It’s a good news say for Irish football. Especially on defense.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey gets the weekend sweep of Penn State. I thought we were home, but we were in "Hockey Valley". Got the win with a goal with 0.2 seconds left in OT.

Irish men got a hard fought win in Atlanta vs Ga. Tech. They were behind most of the 1st half, but came out and took the lead and then it was a battle most of the 2nd half and went to OT and we finally got a lead and held it.

We had the ball, tie game one of those last shot to win or go to OT. As so often it happens, the strategy of dribbling it around running out the clock so if we miss the other guys can't run it back and get a shot off to win fails miserably when guy handling the ball ends up trapped and takes a horrible shot. OT

Good win though.

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I watched the game, the first time I've seen them for almost an entire game. We seem to have good, competitive personnel, but the freshman saved our bacon. He's an outstanding player, for sure. We're lucky to have him. I was impressed by the success of the pick and roll to Valentine in the first half. There's a lot to like about this team. I hope we can build a respectable conference record and - hopefully - find our way into the NCAA tournament. Fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Foskey's return is the biggest news yet. He is a legit All American and probably the best NFL prospect on the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Jarrett Patterson has announced that he will return to ND for 2022. This is as big as the return of Isiah Foskey, he's an AA at center and could be a 1st rounder with a good season. The Irish OL should be very good next year with the return of 4 of the 5 starters. Harry Heistand will have a good bit of talent to work with next season. It will be interesting to see what happens with the RG slot that Cain Madden occupied last season. I hope Rocco Spindler has a great spring and wins that position.

• Like Like x 1