Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Good news....Irish Hockey beat Minnesota last night 3-2. Irish Basketball, men and women, take on Boston College this weekend.

MINNEAPOLIS — The Fighting Irish twice erased one-goal deficits and then Graham Slaggert scored the only goal of the third period to lift Notre Dame to a 3-2 win at top-ranked Minnesota on Friday night at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

“I thought we played a good 60 minute hockey game,” head coach Jeff Jackson said after the win. “Pretty much in every aspect of the game I thought we did a nice job. It was good to see us put together a power-play goal. We did a good job managing the puck, so for us it was a big step in being able to string together a full 60.”

It was the first time the Irish defeated a top ranked team since knocking off Boston College, 2-1 in overtime, on March 1, 2014.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Irish men beat BC today for their 1st ACC win of the year.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey completes the sweep of the #1 ranked Gophers in Minneapolis.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women beat Boston College today. They still have too many possessions that end up in a shot clock violation. Dribble too much! Also continue to struggle with the press.

That said they shot the ball well and in general you can see improvement in the team play, I think they will be a better team in a month and definitely a Tournament team.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Good news on the football front... Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa has announced that he's coming back for the 2021 season. Irish DL should be a strength, especially if they can also add that transfer from Illinois.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Scratch the DE from Illinois , Carney, Bielema was able to convince him to stay at Illinois. That's a big win for Illinois and Bielema.

7. Terry O'Keefe

If you remember Drew Brees was slotted to take over for Doug Flutie on the ND telecasts this past year but elected to play another season in the NFL in 2020. That was how we ended up with Tony Dungy as the the substitute for Doug Flutie in the booth with Mike Tirico. I don't know of course if Brees is going to play in 2021 or retire and take the NBC job, but no disrespect intended but I really liked Tony Dungy on the telecast this past year and hope he comes back in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Irish are hoping for a big pickup in recruiting, getting DE Tyson Ford from St. Louis to pick ND over OU. He's a 2022 recruit.

I am seeing that Irish Women are reportedly adding early entrant Olivia Miles to the Womens Basketball team. She is a highly rated player and at a position they need, PG. Hard to imagine exactly how she'll fit into the team going forward, but as I said in another topic, it won't cost her a year of eligibility with the COVID exception this year. It will allow her to start adapting to college life and ACC basketball, certainly give her a leg up on 2021 team.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ditto. I look forward to Drew Brees being in the booth - any booth - but I hope Dungy comes back. He has a boatload of experience and knowledge and an easy style that makes me want to listen to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Big recruiting pickup for the Irish 2022 Class today. DE Tyson Ford Top 100 and 4*. Is Coach Freeman already showing his recruiting abilities?

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Dang Tim beat me to the punch! First of many big time players on defense from Coach Freeman I hope. Next win is supposed to be convincing Houston Griffith to leave the portal and return to the team.

12. Terry O'Keefe

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I agree with Tim and Sid on Dungy. He's always been a class act. If Brees can be as interesting as Romo in the booth he'll do very well somewhere. He's probably going to miss the field but not the sideline in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Really good article on Jack Coan on the Athletic, his teammates at Wisconsin dubbed him "The Long Island Laser"...I like it! But sounds like a well grounded, hard working kid who will be a great teammate. His trainer says he's 100% now and will be 100% ready to compete at Notre Dame this Spring. Said he's a very hard worker with regards to his physical fitness. So the guy who shows up at ND will be ready to compete and looking forward to the competition.

15. Terry O'Keefe

With the hiring of Brad Lambert at Purdue for the DCoord position, it appears that Mike Elston will continue at ND as the DL coach. I'm sorry he didn't get the job, I don't know why he hasn't been able to make the step up to Coord, he's been with Kelly for a long time and Kelly has never offered him the Coord position. He's been with Kelly since 2004 at Central Michigan, so no doubt Kelly values him as a member of the coaching staff, he's been a ST/TE coach, LB coach, DL coach and is currently the Asst HC/DL coach. He was temporarily the Co-DCoord when Van Gorder was fired but didn't get the job that went to Elko instead.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Kyle Hamilton, is named on ESPN's way to early All-American team. Whooooo HOOOOOO.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Bad news for the Irish. We've been caught with our hands in the cookie jar of recruiting. Speculation is that the former Asst is Todd Lyght.

The university, former assistant football coach and NCAA enforcement staff agreed that the former assistant coach had impermissible contact with a prospect when he met privately with the prospect at his high school before July 1 after the completion of his junior year of high school. During that meeting, the former assistant coach expressed the school's interest in recruiting the prospect. The former assistant football coach also had exchanged impermissible text messages with another prospect on 10 occasions.

The case also involved a Level III recruiting violation involving the head football coach. Specifically, after initially declining a request, the head football coach impermissibly posed for a photo with another prospect while visiting the prospect's high school during the fall evaluation period.

This case was processed through the negotiated resolution process. The process was used instead of a formal hearing or summary disposition because the university, the involved coaches and the enforcement staff agreed on the violations and the penalties. The Division I Committee on Infractions reviewed the case to determine whether the resolution was in the best interests of the Association and whether the agreed-upon penalties were reasonable. Negotiated resolutions may not be appealed and do not set case precedent for other infractions cases.

The university and the enforcement staff used ranges identified by the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines to agree upon Level II-mitigated penalties for the university and Level II-mitigated penalties for the former assistant coach. The report contains the full list of penalties as approved by the Committee on Infractions, including:
    One year of probation.
    A $5,000 fine.
    A six-month show-cause order for the former assistant football coach, including a one-game suspension at any employing member school.
    Reduced football official visits for the 2020-21 academic year by one.
    Reduced football unofficial visits by 14 days for the 2020-21 academic year.
    A seven-day off-campus recruiting ban for the entire football staff during the 2020-21 academic year.
    The university ended the recruitment of the prospect.
    The university will not recruit any prospects from the high school in Seattle from the 2019-20 through 2021-22 academic years.
    If an opportunity to serve a penalty will not be available due to circumstances related to COVID-19, the penalty must be served at the next available opportunity.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Not good news Terry, but one bad apple does not make everyone bad, but it sure hurts the other coaches who play by the rules at the same time.:(

19. Terry O'Keefe

Apparently this all stems from the recruitment of a Seattle area player named Sav'ell Smalls. He is the player who was also involved in the recruiting sanctions on Texas A&M and Florida.

Somebody implied that his HS Coach ratted out schools he didn't like who were recruiting his player. He ended up with the Washington Huskies.

NCAA violations by Florida and Texas A&M tied to same recruit, same high school

20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

What goes around generally comes back home!