Notre Dame Winter/Spring

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a great OL haul for the class. I remember when we were having trouble getting Tackles.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I Irish men got a great road win, at Louisville. Close most of the
    1st half, but we came out firing in the 2nd half and extended the margin to 22 at the end.

Braden Shrewsbury was deadly from 3 tonight. 23 points
    3 game win streak will be severely tested in another road game, @Syracuse. this Saturday

3. Terry O'Keefe

I'm not a video gamer and never played any of the EA Sports Football games, either NFL or College..but they are back to the delight of those who do play those games. ND announced the other day that the Irish will be included in the game when released.

"After nearly two years of work with EA Sports, we're proud to announce that our fans around the world will be able to play as the Fighting Irish in the upcoming College Football franchise," Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a statement. "The work that EA Sports is doing to provide over 11,000 college student-athletes opportunities to benefit directly from their name, image and likeness is a first-of-its-kind undertaking and we're proud to have been involved in the process."

Notre Dame in EA Sports College Football 25

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Same here.

5. Terry O'Keefe

After two years as NBC’s Notre Dame play-by-play voice, Jac Collinsworth is out, officials briefed on the decision told The Athletic.

NBC veteran Dan Hicks will replace Collinsworth and team up with analyst Jason Garrett. Hicks previously called Notre Dame games a decade ago. He is best known for his PGA Tour duties.

Starting next fall, NBC plans to have Noah Eagle and Todd Blackledge as the No. 1 broadcast team on all of its college football coverage. Eagle, 26, and Blackledge, 62, earned strong reviews on the Big Ten and the NFL games they called.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Note Dan Hicks is married to Hannah Storm, ND '83 who has had a great career in Sports Broadcasting.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women get a nice win on senior night vs Clemson. Hannah Hildalgo never got going in this game. But Sonia Citron and Maddy Westbeld and her teammates all stepped up and after a close 1st qtr it was never in doubt.

74-47 Irish.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

9. Terry O'Keefe

Some times there are good losses. Today's loss at Syracuse might be one of them. Team came back from a deep hole and nearly pulled it out. This team seems to have two really good young players, the coaches son, Braden and Markus Burton. They combined for 48 points today. Burton has been good from day one but Braden has been steadily improving as the season progressed . While the team will not make the tourney, they have gotten better as we have gone deeper into the season and it gives me a feeling that Shrewsberry's hire could turn out to be a really good one for the Irish.

10. Terry O'Keefe

There has been some angst on ND boards over 2025 QB Deuce Knight and whether or not he might be tempted to take visits to other schools who are still pursuing him as a ND Commit. I found this ..

FWIW Freeman has a no visit rule for kids who have given their verbal to the Irish. Many wonder what Freeman would do for a highly ranked recruit, like Knight, who said coach I'm going to visit another school and I think I should have that right without you interfering or something to that effect. BTW Freeman isn't the only coach with this rule and it's not a new thing, Mack Brown had such a rule from day one when he was at Texas.

Irish fans angst comes from kids like Peyton Bowen a highly recruited DB when Kelly was the HC who used to take visits after giving his verbal, he always told the staff he was just going along with his younger brother who was also a highly recruited kid. Of course he bailed on the Irish and went with his brother to OU.

After visiting for junior day last month and serving as a spokesperson for Notre Dame's top-ranked 2025 recruiting class on social media on a weekly basis, four-star QB commit Deuce Knight has set plans to return to campus.

Knight told Jack Knowlton of TideIllustrated that he plans to visit Notre Dame March 21-24 and June 14-16, the latter being his official visit.

The 6-foot-4, 190-pound quarterback out of Lucedale (Miss.) George County has been committed to the Irish since last September and has visited campus six times.

Knight, the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback per Rivals, is still hearing from Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Colorado — but has not visited any other schools since committing and hasn't set plans to do so.

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: "angst". Terry, you know how I feel about some "fans" on ND boards, specifically NDN, based on my past participation. However, I very much appreciate your occasional postings because whatever you post is news I wouldn't see except for your reports. The above re: Knight is an example. I'm lukewarm toward committed student-athletes until they're on campus and enrolled, but Knight appears to be a generational recruit, and whether or not there's smoke surrounding him, anything that happens, like angst on ND boards, is worth reporting. Because of your diligence, I feel informed. :)

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Sid, be careful, these kids will break your heart.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

The way I feel these days is they are not truly commited until they are in uniform playing in an actual game. Then again, they may transfer after that in a heartbeat.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Irish ladies got off to another slow start at BC, but then took over and won easily at the end 79-55.

They have a tough road for their last 2 games of the regular season with the top team in the ACC in Va. Tech this Thursday in the Joyce Center and finishing next Sunday with a Louisville team that always gives them problems. If some how they win those game, which seems unlikely, they will get a double bye in the ACC tournament.

Irish Hockey got swept in Ann Arbor this weekend

Irish baseball was at FIU this weekend for a 4 game series and split with them. Next weekend they are at Tennessee Tech for 3 games.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Big win for the Irish men tonight vs Wake Forrest, 70-65. We've won 4 out of our last 5, this after I declared we'd probably not win another game this year.

Markus Burton had an awesome game, 31 points.

The way we're playing now gives me a lot of hope for the future with Coach Shrewsberry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

17. Terry O'Keefe

Very big game for the Ladies tonight, Va.Tech with Liz Kitley and Georgia Amoore visiting. Va.Tech is the top team in the ACC and one of the best in the NCAA. They have a good shot at the Final Four. They are well coached by Kenny Brooks, who by the way is a coach that is easy to like when you watch him work and how gracious he is after wins and losses.

While it's not the end of the world if they don't win, but it would mean they aren't getting the double bye for the ACC tournament. Plus it would boost them in their NCAA seeding to finish the season strong with wins over Va.Tech and then Lousville.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Great win for the ladies tonight, they lead the Hokies most of the night. The defense really kept Liz Kitley under control and Hannah Hildalgo had a great game in all phases.

Maddy Westbeld and Sonia Citron both played outstanding as well.

Just a huge win

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Head Coach Marcus Freeman at the 2009 NFL Combine:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men win again, beat Clemson 69 - 62. Another great game from Markus Burton, Tae Davis was key in the 2nd half and the coaches kid hit dagger 3.

That's 5 out the last 6. I never thought I would be happy to be7-11 in conference. As I said I thought we would be lucky to win a game or 2.