Notre Dame Winter/Spring

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish women are on the road at UVA tomorrow night, the Cav's are 0-5 in ACC play. Should be an Irish win but it is on the road and they aren't without some good talent.

This weekend is a big Jr. Weekend for the Irish with a lot of targets for Freeman and company in town including Jerome Bettis Jr. They will get to see the South Bend Winter for sure if they had any doubts that it gets cold and snows in South Bend they will get to experience it first hand this weekend!

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

After watching the Chief-Dolphins game it might be that kids who aspire to be pros learn to play in cold weather. At least that could be a selling point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women beat UVA in a foul fest, the Cavs mugged them and the refs were calling it tight. I think they said we went to the line 40 times.

86-76

UVA had 2 players foul out.

One time we had a 20 point lead,, but they started pressing us and we didn't handle it well, the lead was trimmed to 6 later 4th qtr.

The press has been a problem for us, needs to be fixed

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Kind of a workman like win today for the Irish women in Winston-Salem vs Wake Forrest. 75-56 Hildalgo put up 21 points but only got 3 steals! Sonia Citron was hot from 3 point land with 4 bombs. We never trailed in this game. WF doesn't look like an 0-7 (ACC) team but this league is so tough and so well balanced that every game is a war.

Next week though the Irish get back to back big games, they face Syracuse who beat them earlier at home and then UCONN comes and they are currently on a hot streak and as always they have a lot of talent and also missing some players due to injury like the Irish. Geno is one of the greatest coaches all time in women's basketball, so it will be a huge upset if we get a win. I think Syracuse is a team we can beat if we play well, at their place we were literally beaten by one player Dyaisha Fair who is a great player and she just couldn't miss that day, went for more than 30 points. Keep her under contral and we have a shot. They are well coached.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Lots of good reports from the Irish Jr. Day this weekend. No verbals but things looking good for several targeted players.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm mildly surprised that no one's said anything about this:

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

He did a good job for Alabama! Milroe was a challenge because he could not really read defenses so the offense had to be simplified.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I thought he'd taken a spot at Georgia? Was the Co-Offensive Coord. Then this came up yesterday and I was a bit surprised by this, I wish him well. It's a bit of a step down for him for sure though.

9. Terry O'Keefe

I saw a bit on footballers Tyler Buchner and Jordan Faison.

Tyler Buchner and Jordan Faison got a lot of run in the latter half of the scrimmage. They both belonged out there with Faison scoring a goal and showing the quickness we all saw on the football field. He is going to find a spot on the offense this year, he is going to be too good to keep off the field. Buchner is an athlete and the stick skills are a little rusty, but I would not be surprised to see him develop a role at some point in the season.

10. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of guys are not with the team anymore. Andrew Kristofic appears to moving on from football and Gabe Rubio apparently has some personal issues and is taking the Spring semester off to deal with them.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I think gipper is our biggest lacrosse fan, growing up in the NYC area I imagine has something to do with that as growing up in Texas I knew as much about lacrosse as I did about Irish Hurling.:D

This is a link to a good preseason story about the team. One thing I noticed is that one of Todd Lyght's cousins, Shawn Lyght, is a freshman on the squad and is impressing early. He's from Seton Hall Prep.

The Irish are experienced and deep and have a good shot at another Natty. They are pre-season #1.

Notre Dame Men’s Lacrosse: First scrimmage is in the books

12. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Just saw it today. Was gonna see what all y'all ND guys had to say. Seems to me I've read a lot of good things in the past about him here and some not so good. I was a bit surprised at the Brown's offensive coaching shakeup but Andrew Berry's been making some good decisions.

I do hope that Sefanski turns the play calling over to him...I've never been a fan of the head coach calling all the plays.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Stu, Outside the Irish program Rees has always been looked on favorably as a young upcoming coach. Inside the program he's always been underappreciated, going back to when he was the Starting QB, who by the way won a lot of games and who showed his loyalty when he lost the starting job to Golson in 2012 that he never stopped being ready and ended up be a key piece to the Irish having an undefeated season. He had to step in when Golson was injured vs Purdue and lead the winning drive, he also was key in the OT win over Stanford that year. He took a lot of stuff from ND fans over the years. Yet has always been a ND guy, ready to do what he can for the Irish.

I'm sure he agonized a bit over leaving ND last season for Alabama, but it was just too big an opportunity for him to pass up.

I wish him well with the Browns and hope he's able to move up the ladder to eventually be a HC somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

The Irish added a walk-on kicker recently who has quite the story. Eric Goins who is a MBA Student at ND, and is a 2016 Graduate of The Citadel and who entered the Military after graduation, I assume given the military tradition at the Citadel that he accepted his commission right out of the Citadel Corp of Cadets (ROTC). He has 1 year of college eligibility left and wants to be with the team. He served 7 years in the Army after graduation and left the Army as a Captain. As an aside, the lowest rank a MD/DDS can have in the Military is Captain (USAF, USA) or Lt which is the Navy equivalent of Captain. I wonder why they don't start us young professionals out as 2nd Lt's or Ensigns?

Very good story.

Notre Dame Adds Kicker Who Graduated High School In 2012 And Last Played Football In 2015

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

The ACC portion of the ND schedule is set and unlike previous year where almost all of the ACC teams had a bye week before playing ND, none of them have that this year.l

Please note that Stanford is an ACC game. If the Irish and Stanford want to play every year alternating home/home then for Stanford in most years it will not count as one of the 5 contracted ACC game for the Irish.

ACC teams will play five non-conference games against Notre Dame in 2024. Four of the five contests will come on the road at Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.

Louisville at Notre Dame – Sept. 28
    Stanford at Notre Dame – Oct. 12
    Notre Dame at Georgia Tech – Oct. 19
    Florida State at Notre Dame – Nov. 9
    Virginia at Notre Dame – Nov. 16

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men lose at home to Miami, it was a tight game till we went stone cold in mid 2nd half and the Hurricanes went on a 17-2 run and that was it. 73-61. We shot a ton of 3's and so we didn't get to the line a lot. Miami had more points in the paint and thus got to the line a lot more.

Another tough loss where we gave a great effort and just couldn't find a way to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

#22 ranked Syracuse who beat us at their place earlier come to the Joyce Center tomorrow night for the #15 Irish. Really big game for the Irish, we didn't have Sonia Citron last time we played and we need this win to stay up in the ACC race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Syracuse schooled the Irish tonight beat us in virtually every aspect of the game. It was their first win ever at Notre Dame.

They are a very good team, much better than their #22 rank.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Irish men take on BC tonight at the Joyce Center, BC beat them recently at home in a close game. Hopefully home cooking will change that, Irish have lost 5 out of the last 6 so they are in need of the win.

Irish women go to UCONN and attempt to get back on track after the disappointing loss to Syracuse at home on Thursday. I'm not very hopeful though, UCONN is a very talented and well coached team. It will be a huge upset if we can come away with the win. UCONN has had a lot of injuries this year, but their remaining core of players is top 10 caliber. Everybody keeps wondering if Olivia Miles is going to play this year, nobody knows as they are very tight mouthed about her prospects. I don't expect her to play this year, and we've also lost Cassandra Prosper who it seems like she's also done for the year along with Emma Risch who had hip surgery. Could have been a really good team, we're still a good team but just not what we might have been with those players.