Notre Dame Winter/Spring

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Former Penn State QB, Tony Sacca's son Anthony Sacca a LB out of St. Joe Prep in Philly gave his verbal to the Irish. St. Joe's is a powerhouse program in the East with a lot of great college players coming through there including former Ohio State QB Kyle McCord and Marvin Harrison Jr.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of. My grandmother was a terrible cook. Everything I had at her place could have been muskrat.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Terry O'Keefe

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

5. Terry O'Keefe

Not looking like the Irish Baseball is going to be much this year, bottom of the ACC unless suddenly the pitching staff finds it's mojo. As might be expected fans are starting to doubt that the coach.

Men's and Women's lacrosse are both having good seasons. Men just beat Syracuse and now lead them in the all-time series 11-10, the women are having a good season so far but aren't ranked in the top 10 while the men are #1.

Softball is middle of the pack in the ACC with a 6-6 record, overall they are 21-12. Pretty much the way it is for Irish Softball. Solid but not going to threaten to win the ACC or do anything if they make the NCAA's.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: the nose ring. When I learned about it, my first reaction was that it's a safety issue. I still feel that way, but now it's going to be a sideshow. She'll wear it; Some coach(es) will bring it up and force its removal; she'll be out of the game for a while; rinse and repeat. Of course, between now and next season, some combination of the following might happen: 1) When she's out of the game,, Olivia Miles will keep things going on the court; or, 2) Coach Ivey will counsel her to take it out during the game to prevent the issue, and she'll agree; or, 3) a higher authority will determine that wearing it will disqualify her from participating, and she'll cooperate under duress, in which case the issue will go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Sid, I think you missed a scenario: She’ll sue the NCAA for violating her freedom of speech and discriminating against hardware wearers and have rule invalidated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought about it, Kyle, but I was hoping that if I didn't mention it, it won't happen. Is that what they call denial? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

I searched for images of Hannah that shows her nose ring. Truthfully I was totally unaware of it till the Sweet 16 controversy over it.

But I found one, it is very hard to see. On her left nostril. It's really small. I mean it is still a technical rule violation, but I don't understand how it goes on all year till the refs steps in.

You'll have to look hard and blow up the image.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah it is definitely a health issue but to go all season not enforced and then enforce the rule in the tournament is really a bad look. I don’t think the NCAA can be embarrassed though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I don't think this means squat when it comes to where Sam will be drafted. He's going to be a late round or UDFA. But it's kind of cool. The other thing I find interesting is somebody like Sam who spent 4 great years at Wake Forrest and is a Wake Forrest graduate, will be identified with Notre Dame after 1 season in South Bend, I think it's highly unlikely he'll ever get a ND degree, he's seemingly forever a Notre Dame man. Jack Coan when you look him up, he's in the CFL, is listed as from Notre Dame in spite of being a Wisconsin graduate. Ben Skowronek a Northwestern grad and a 4 year player, is listed on the Ram's roster as a ND guy. I find it very odd. But it's likely that with all the transfers going on that guys who go the graduate route will be associated with the last team they play with, I'll bet Cormac Ryan will forever be a Tar Heel after graduating from ND and playing 1 year at UNC.

Oh well back to my original

12. Terry O'Keefe

Well deserved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women's lacrosse beat Duke in South Bend and the men went to Durham and beat the Duke men. Good weekend for ND lacrosse.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I can tell him what feedback he'll get. You're short son, work on getting taller at least to 6'.

[​IMG]

15. Terry O'Keefe

Men's and women's basketball in the process of "recruiting' the next transfers/NIL to fill out the roster. No word yet on who might come to South Bend for next season. Nat Marshall a valuable team member graduated and opted to go somewhere else for her last season. The men lost Matt Zona who is also using his last season some where else (Fordham)

Meanwhile the Irish baseball is in shambles, we are dead last in the ACC and the online fans are questioning the wisdom of the hiring of the current coach.

Football Spring Drills is coming to an end, lots of good news coming out of practice reports, good things being said about all the QB's vying for backing up Riley Leonard. OL seems to be set as to who will be the starters and it will be a young group with only Tosh Baker having much experience. Of course this time of year there is optimism at most schools about the development of the players/team. We'll see when we tee it up in College Station.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Spirited lacrosse battle yesterday between #1 Irish and #10 Cornell ended with a narrow ND win that wasn't final till only a few seconds remained. I looked at the all-time record between Cornell and ND and was surprised to see the Big Red holds a significant edge over the Irish.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Maddy Westbeld is coming back.

18. Terry O'Keefe

That is awesome news. I have to say that Maddy has been one of my favorite ND Athletes in any sport over the last 10 years. Hopefully she'll have a great year and the team will have a great season. Most importantly I hope she not only plays well but is injury free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Well we just lost our starting punter to the Portal. It's a head scratcher as he w as he was going to be the man at punter and also a holder and maybe even do kick offs, all of which would be good for his potential to play in the NFL.

Maybe he just doesn't really love Nortern Indiana and ND. Of course I wonder if he thinks there is more NIL money somewhere else.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Spring game thiis Saturday. I'll be curious to see if all the QB's stick with the program. Portal opened Tuesday and the Punter has already bailed, hard to imagine that there won't be a few more who will leave for better opportunities to start or maybe more NIL at another program.

Women's lacrosse finishes the regular season today at Louisville. It's been a very good season for them. The men have 2 more games, UNC at home then finish at UVA. Has also been a great season for them. Both teams are NCAA bound and have shots at making the final 4 and even winning.

• Like Like x 1