Notre Dame vs Virginia.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 23, 2019.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I've seen players who've played for Ara and Holtz return to campus and still love being with their old coach. Probably not a coincidence that they won National Championships and why Kelly most likely won't. However, players today aren't the same. They transfer at the drop of a hat and sometimes leave in an aborted attempt to play on Sundays. It's not the same as it was in Gipper's day.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've never sensed that the players don't like Kelly. A large group of Irish fans do not like him though.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Weather... Holy Cow did it rain yesterday. I was 4 hours delayed going to ORD due to weather and the drive to South Bend was terrible, monsoon like rain at times. It looks like rain all day again. It's a good thing that we have artificial turf.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Strange weather in Indiana. Heavy rain and lightning Friday night in northern part of state -South Bend & Fort Wayne - postponed most HS football games to Saturday. No weather issues here in central Indiana. Same so far today. FWIW rain chances in South Bend at kick-off "only" 40%. Dress for the worst. My kids still call me All Weather Sid because of how I bugged them to dress for the worst when they were young. Still do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Old habits are hard to break Sid!;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

The Irish and Virginia trade impressive drives to open the game. Ole Miss and Bama are tied at 7 as well. UNC opened up and drove right down to score against Clemson. You know what this says? It's early. :)

7. IrishCorey

Virginia's QB is throwing dimes and having the game of his life so far. UVa leads 17-14 at the half. Every time I flip over to the Bama game, their offense is on the field on they are pulling away. That's the risk of that DickRod offense at Ole Miss. Washington up 17-7 on USC at the half. UNC and Clemson are tied at the half.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama is running the ball better but we are definitely a passing team now

• Like Like x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

At this point I will take Tua. I don't know who wins the Heisman but I wouldn't trade Tua for anyone in the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. IrishCorey

Once again, ND comes out in man for the 2nd half and it changes in the game. The defense really carried the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think that Bronco is a real solid coach. Like to see him in consideration when Kelly retires.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

DEFENSE!

• Like Like x 2
  13. IrishCorey

We don't pay Clark Lea enough money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. IrishCorey

I can't wait to read Terry's game report.

15. Tim Gentry

Checked Vegas odds for the game against BG....we are -44.5.

• Like Like x 1
  16. IrishCorey

No way we cover that. It's not that I don't have faith in the kids, mind you. I mean, Florida didn't cover that against Towson. Kelly has a long history of underwhelming performances against out-manned teams. That line is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tim Gentry

Corey,
    Your right, I don’t know how they can make a spread that high. It does say BG must be really, really bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Not really much of a story to tell this weekend other than the weather and flight delays.
    I was 4 hours late getting to Chicago due to weather at O'Hare. Then the drive to South Bend was through a monsoon and the traffic was very heavy and slow moving of course.

Had dinner that night at Evil Czech which is where the old Mishiwaka Brewing Company was located. Food is good, they don't have Four Horseman's Ale though, in fact as far as I know that is no longer made anywhere. Rented one of those houses from Rent Like A Champion. Nice place.

Fortunately the weather broke for the game and we got to campus and did all our usual tours and tailgated with one of Brian's Classmates. Had good seats for the game upper deck between the 5 yd line and the goal line. Trip home was uneventful, all in all a good weekend and the campus looked great. It's so different now from what it was when we first started making the trips in 1986. More buildings, more tree's, etc.

Like most of you, I'm sure, I was so impressed with how the defense played esp in the 2nd half. Also like most of you very worried about this offense. We haven't played well yet, and really even the 60+ point outburst against New Mexico didn't feel like a great offensive game. I was glad that in the 4th qtr we finally had worn down UVA to get the running game going and put away the game.

When they executed the perfect onside kick to start the 2nd half, I was like....uh oh. But the defense came out and held them and they got nothing out of it. In the first half as Corey noted that UVA QB was throwing dimes and the UVA receivers had flypaper hands. Pass rush in the 2nd half changed that and that was the difference in the game.

Like everybody, I'm worried about Ian Book. Is the offense stalled because of him, because of the OL, I don't know. But they better get it fixed. Books numbers are still good, but numbers don't tell the whole story. 63% completions is good, modern college QB's have to complete that as a min, the better QB's are in the 70% range or higher if you're Tua. But he throws so many dinks and dunks that defenses can just sit on those short routes and even if he completes them they only go for 3 or 4 yds. Of course a lot of people think it's Chip Longs play calling, maybe it is. I just know if we are going to win against USC and Michigan we need a much better offense. Book has to be able to stand in the pocket and make some downfield throws.

I was really sorry to hear that Shaun Crawford has another injury, the elbow is going to cause him to miss 3 or 4 games. He was playing well, and he's had such bad luck with injuries. I was hoping for both the team and for him that he'd have an injury free season. Daelin Hayes has a history of shoulder problems going back to HS another shoulder injury is troubling for his future. Jamir Jones played very well and he'll be a great replacement for Hayes. I guess Kelly was thinking of holding him out this season and bringing him back as a 5th year Sr next year..but doesn't seem like that will be the plan now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Book's season has been underwhelming. Seems like he has to complete 25 passes to gain 200 yards. No deep threat at all which likely has a lot to do with the steep drop in the ground game. He is throwing at a 62% completion rate which is average at best considering most of his throws are of the 5-6 yard variety which in turn greatly reduced the yards after catch numbers. He is not under siege back there but it seems like he is rushing through his progressions. Steep regression from last season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

• Like Like x 2