Notre Dame vs UNLV

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Not a lot of positives going on in South Bend.

Much Weeping and gnashing of teeth over
    1. Tommy Rees
    2. Drew Pyne
    3. Irish needing to revamp their approach to NIL, the transfer portal.
    4. Keeping the recruiting class intact with so much negativity, if more losses occur esp blowouts to USC and Clemson.
    5. Getting a QB in the 2023 class
    6. Should they give up on a lot of the seniors and play young players to hopefully get them ready for 2023. Apparently no worries that throwing seniors under the bus might affect team chemistry.
    7. Freeman looks lost on the sidelines and gives bad press conference answers. Some are starting to track the number of times he references players not executing.
    8. Al Golden is a liability as a play caller on defense, his blitzes are all telegraphed. Only worse Dcoord is the guy affectionately known as BVG.
    9. Combination of Jac Collins worth and Jason Garrett is awful, maybe the worst ever on the NBC/ND era.

10. Jack Swarbrick is the root cause of the problem.

Good News? NBC has jumped in the NIL market place for ND. Chris Tyree, is the first beneficiary.

In April, NBC Sports announced its foray into the name, image, and likeness space with a marketplace for athletes at Temple, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt.

Now, the program, called NBC Athlete Direct, is expanding into the fan-powered NIL sector — with the help of Notre Dame running back Chris Tyree.

• Fans can now purchase subscriptions through NBC for access to exclusive athlete content — including virtual meet-ups, autographed photos, and podcast episodes.
    • They’ll also get a few non-athlete specific perks: movie tickets from Fandango and six months of access to Peacock.
    • Tyree will be the program’s first athlete, but it plans to add other players by the end of the quarter.
    Righ

2. Terry O'Keefe

Oh the game this week? You have to have Peacock to see it and I don't think you can record it. This is another point of unhappiness for fans and Swarbrick is the problem.

UNLV? don't know much other than they have been blown out the last two weeks by San Jose State and the USAFA. They are 4-3.

You can bet that the defense that Stanford used to stymie the Irish offense will be used against us again.

As always a win is the most important thing, any win. But fans and the team really need a big win. Heck the last two teams hung 40 on them. Lord help Freeman and Rees if we eek out a 17 - 10 win.

Even God can't help them if they lose.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Let's see. I can purchase a subscription to NBC/NIL which will allow me to see an autographed photo of Chris Tyree on my TV screen? And then, when I'm all whipped up by that I can pay for a month subscription for a streamed broadcast of a game that should be a walkover on an obscure third party service?

But wait ! There's more !! If you call in the next 12 minutes we'll throw in a bonus opportunity to an early screening of " Charlie Weis, the Glory Years " soon to be released on Peacock !!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Terry O'Keefe

A note on Irish Baseball, while we won't know how good the new coach is till we start playing next spring, but he's out there recruiting.

He added another player this week.

Notre Dame baseball continues its hot streak of commitments as 2024 Brother Rice HS (Mich.) RHP/INF Chase Van Ameyde has given his verbal pledge to the Fighting Irish.

The 6-foot-5, 190-pounder topped out at 89 mph on the mound over the summer and has good genes as his father, Mark, is currently the pitching coach at Michigan State. Van Ameyde also has a curveball and slider.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

In the bad news department, freshman TE, Eli Raridon tore his ACL this week and is lost for the season.

“Eli Raridon unfortunately will be out for the remainder of the season,” stated Freeman. "He suffered a non-contact knee injury and retore his ACL. He’ll have surgery in the next couple of days. We’ll continue to keep Dr. (Brian) Ratigan busy. Dr. Ratigan had two surgeries this week with Kevin Bauman and Bo Bauer. Here in the next week or so, he’ll do Eli Raridon.”

It’s tough news for the Irish offense as the tight end room has already lost Kevin Bauman, but likely even more frustrating for the 6-foot-6 freshman as he tore the same ACL last December.

The Iowa native had not recorded a catch this season, but Raridon had broken into the rotation and carved out a role in several packages in recent weeks. Following week six, PFF had tallied 76 snaps on the year.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish are 26 point favorites, do you think I should put a big chunk of my retirement on them covering? :confused::cool::rolleyes:

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

It's your money Terry!:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. George Krebs

The Irish are almost impossible to wager on at this point because of their unpredictable and uneven play. I'm not going near it but if I did I would lay the points. If you can't beat this team by 26 you really are in bad shape. Hell, I think the Buckeyes will beat Iowa by at least 30 !

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

On the positive, women's soccer is having a great season. They are tied at the top of the ACC. They have some tough matches to finish the season though.

Women's basketball is looking like a good top 10 team. They have a number of outstanding players returning, lead by Olivia Miles. Maddy Westbeld and Sonia Citron are poised to have excellent seasons and Super Senior Dara Mabry is a leader and a tough player, as have been all the Mabry's.

Coach Ivey also has added key players from the Portal and gets a couple of players back who had injury issues last year. They have the potential to be an elite 8 team.

Men's Basketball also has potential not as much but it should be a good blend of returning seniors and a couple of outstanding freshmen.

Hockey is 2-1-1 ranked 13th and have #17 Western Michigan this weekend.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

OK off to a good start, score on the 1st drive. A couple of big chunk passing plays and Estime up the middle for the score. Pyne got lucky with a miscomunication with Mayer who went one way and he threw another way right to the UNLV player who was so shocked he dropped it.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Finally a fast start, granted it's UNLV, but still. 2 punt blocks! 20-7

12. Terry O'Keefe

We dominated them in every phase of the game, and lead 30-7 at half. It could have been a lot more than that had we been more efficient in the redzone. Pyne has been so so, he's 9-20 passing. but we have had such great field position due to the punt blocks and defense forcing so many 3 and outs.

Pyne really was hit hard on our last TD drive and had to leave, he was clearly targeted but no call. I have to wonder why at that point they didn't let the freshman play the rest of the half it was only a few more minutes. But Pyne comes back in and gets a tipped pass INT. He's not a tall QB, under 6ft, but I remember Drew Brees said it was about knowing the passing lanes to avoid tipped passes. Bryce Young is under 6' and it hasn't hurt him.

Audric Estime had another fumble. He hasn't been seen since then. Maybe if things get out of hand in the 2nd half they should let him get back in the game.

To put in perspective how bad our offense has been in the 1st qtr, we scored more today than we have in the previous 6 games combined.

Like most fans I'd like to see the Irish knock them out in the 3rd qtr and see some young players in the 4th qtr. What I don't want to see is the defense give up several big plays that lead to scores. That happened in the UNC game.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

You’re right Terry we left a lot of points not scored in that half, run attack is for the most part poor. Pyne’s stats are not good but there were a couple of drops including one by Mayer. W it’s exception of one long run D has been good and special teams have been, well, special.

14. Terry O'Keefe

UNLV outscoring us in the 2nd half 14-7. Very disappointing.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Twice on third down Pyne had passes deflected by linemen. One was intercepted. He’s had at least 4 this season. It drives me nuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Final 44-21 Irish. If all you did was look at the stats you'd be pretty happy. But allowing that any win is a good, this win was good. However I can't say that this win leaves me hopeful for the rest of the season. As gipper noted Pyne is prone to those batted passes. He finished with 200 yds passing, but only completed 50% of his passes, which is not very good. I like Drew and I want him to be great, to be Drew Brees like, but so far he's been erratic. Great games against UNC/BYU Stanford and UNLV not so much.

Michael Mayer had another great game, he did have one bad drop, so he's not perfect. But that was off set by an incredible 1 handed catch he made while being interfered with by the DB.

OL got the better of the UNLV defense, last 2 drives of the game were all running plays. Logan Diggs had a great game. I like that we ran the ball, but I am dismayed that we couldn't just bomb them into submission with the passing game.

On to Syracuse.

17. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

We’ll be lucky to finish 6-6. Just let Angeli play. Can’t be worse than Pyne.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll be seeing much of Estime unless the other backs are injured. He's got to learn to protect the rock. Diggs is looking better all the time, and he holds onto the ball. We're in for a tough time next week. Cuse looked pretty impressive to me the part of the game I saw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. George Krebs

If the Irish win 7 games it would be a rousing success. 6 is more likely and 5 is not out of the question. I can't comment on the game; did not watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Coaches will spend much time this week with Estime on ball security. Putting the ball on the ground is unacceptable at this level. A healthy Logan Diggs is confirming my belief that he is Kyren Williams.2, a hard runner with speed who rarely goes down on the first hit. IMO Tyree is improving. He ran into the middle with more power than I've seen up to this point. I'm very impressed with how Deland McCullough is coaching our RBs.

• Agree Agree x 1