Notre Dame vs Purdue.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Come on boys lets huddle up and talk about it! ;)

[​IMG]

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

My friend Carlo has attended a lot of practices and tells me that we will not recognize the ND offense this year. He says they are much, much quicker aqcross the board and that the tempo will be very fast with a lot of "no huddle". He predicts that Theo Riddick will be the next big star as a slot WR. The whole idea of Kelly's offense is to quickly get the ball into the hands of good athletes and then let them create good things.

We'll see.

The Irish defense should be very good this year. Very good.

In this game the Irish should cover the spread which I think is 11 at this time. There will be a little sloppiness and Crist is the "X" factor.

I predict ND- 31 Purdue: 13

3. Terry O'Keefe

I anxiously await the Irish Defense, I have no doubt that Kelly will put a productive offense on the field. But we haven't had a good defense since...I don't remember when.

4. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Is Tampa Plant's Robert Aarve still the #1 QB for Purdue? I saw earlier this summer he was annoited as such but did he survive pre-season camp as such?

What are the expectations for Marve?

5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND/Purdue

<r>It has been well established that I have no love for Purdue at all(even thought I am from Indiana) so any comments I make here will show a <B><s></s>slight<e></e></B> ND bias. Having said that I want to predict an Irish win by 10 but...this team and their coach have to show me something first. Yes I know ND looks like the better team at most positions on paper but.....we've seen and heard that a lot before. I have to remind my self that this is a new coach and it is a new offensive system that may take some time to gel even if you have superior players at most positions. <br/>
    <br/>
    When you see and hear Kelly you want to immediately jump on the bandwagon and say "this guy is what we have been waiting for"...but we've said that before too. <br/>
    <br/>
    I will say this, Kelly does seem like the real deal and an honest to God college college coach with experience. Even with the short period of time he has had to institute his system ND has a good chance to win this game. It is at home, first game of the Kelly era, team wanting to redeem itself for the past etc. and the crowd should really be into it. So................yes I think the Irish should win. We'll have to see if Kelly can be the one who finally gets his players to play up to their potential on a regular basis. <E>:)</E></r>

6. Terry O'Keefe

Robert Marve is the starting QB for Purdue and they do have high expectations for him. He seems to have matured and put some of his issues that lead to his leaving Miami behind him. He was a very talented HS QB as you know and was looking like he would continue that at Miami but other issues got the better of him and now he's getting a second chance at Purdue.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Questions that will need to be answered:

1. How good is Dayne Crist? If he's as good as I think he is then were are more than good here.

2. Is Armando Allen finally ready to live up to expectations. In his first 3 years he's shown flashes here and there, but never anything consistent and he's had a problem with injuries. To me he doesn't seem like a guy who can physically carry the load for a whole season and will need to paced as to how many carries he gets. Cierre Wood keep yourself loose on the sidelines you will be needed.

3. OL, heard a lot of good depth, lots of battles going on, young guys stepping up, Chris Stewart being the only Law Student playing football in the NCAA, etc. But what will be the starting unit and can they come together and be a great line.

4. Defense, everybody expects a big year out of Manti Te'o the rest of those guys are suspect. Certainly there is some talent, but Harrison Smith who seemed clueless last year is a starter so that worries me. Carlo has been getting good press but he's never played before that worries me. The DL seems to be set and maybe the strength of the 3-4 we now run. Ian Williams is the key. But still these are the same guys who couldn't hold a lead last year and made every game a last possession game. Maybe Jon Tenuta not being here is the key. I have been impressed with Young Bob Diaco as a DCoord and hope that he follows in the footsteps of another former Iowa Hawkeye named Bob Stoops, that would be sweet wouldn't it! Still lot to prove from this unit.

5. Kicking ...can we get it to the endzone, can I keep my eyes open and put down the rosary during FG attempts? Hope so.

We'll know a lot more by Saturday Night!

8. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

I read somewhere that Nwanko had moved to d-line, is that correct and is he a contributor? And what about Zeke Motta, is he palying much?

9. Terry O'Keefe

Nwanko hasn't been a big contributor so far in his career, he's a Sr. now and with a totally new staff he had a good spring, and is in the 2 deep at DE. We'll see.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Oh and Zeke Motta is doing very well and will play this year at Safety, not a starter though. I like him a lot as a player. I think he'll have an excellent year and be a big time contributor next year.

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:?:
    I have a lot of questions:
    1. Kelly seems too good to be true. I had certain reservations about Davie, Willingham and Weis, but not this guy. I haven't disagreed with a single thing that he's done. Either he's a great coach or I've gone totally brain muerto.

2. Is Zack Martin for real? He easily won the job of protecting Saint Dayne's blind side as a sophomore. How good is he?

3. Can Theo Riddick really play slot receiver? There's a lot of talent on the bench behind him.

4. Andrew Hendrix and Luke Massa are much more talented than Tommy Rees or Nate Montana. How long will Kelly keep them on the scout team if anything happens to Saint Dayne? Not long is my guess.

5. We just went several years with all of our opponents running up the middle against us, now all of a sudden we have so many good nose guards that Kelly isn't even recruiting any. Is the defense going to be THAT improved?

.........JO'Co

12. Tim Gentry

questions

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

my sentiments exactly. Can this guy and his plan for ND be as good as it looks? Sometimes I have to stop myself and say wait a minute......it all just seems to good to be true sometimes. Well, we're about to find!</r>

13. Terry O'Keefe

It is kind of interesting isn't it? The little that Theo played last year at RB, he was absolutely electric with the ball in his hands. I am assuming that Kelly just didn't think he had the frame to hold up as a RB, but wanted him to have the ball in space. Riddick never blinked when asked to move to WR, and from all that I have read he had a great fall camp. I'm eager to see him in the open field with the ball, he might be more electric than Golden Tate....that would be something wouldn't it!

WR is where we have the most talent it seems. I kind of like John Goodman, and I hope he plays well this year.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Rumours are that Shaq Evans has left school and returned to Calif.

edit 24/7 sports reporting he's going to Slick Rick and the Bruins! Good luck to him.

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

We should have a respectable team this year but we have a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of inexperience.

I don't know enough X's and O's of either team to predict how this game is going to go.

However;

Notre Dame has owned us at SB since the 60's and there will be a lot of anticipation and excitement in the stadium with the new coach and all.

The consensus on the Purdue Sports List is that ND wins this one fairly handily. Hope they are wrong but can't disagree.

However...hope springs eternal before the first game (no pun intended). :D

16. Terry O'Keefe

The last time I was personally at a Purdue game in South Bend I think Kyle Orton had a career day and seemed headed for the Heisman Trophy, Purdue paddled us pretty good that day. I'm thinking even Drew Bree's was unable to get a win in South Bend.

I see that your RB from last year, who was outstanding, is not going to be available till midseason at best and your starters are very young. So maybe that bodes well for our defense that couldn't stop the run last year.

I think we are 10 point favorites.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Brian Kelly's Press Conference Transcript from today.

Press Conf

18. Tim Gentry

Evans

<t>off topic but I see Shaq Evans has decided to transfer. Can't say I didn't feel this coming. Don't know what to think about him, Seemed to start out fine with CW and then fizzled. Then this year under Kelly he couldn't make the 3 deep. Had him behind Toma. <br/>
    <br/>
    Looks like slick Rick out at ucla is gonna give him a shot. <br/>
    <br/>
    Who knows, I wish him the best but at the same time if he wasn't gonna get any serious playing time it opens up a schollie for another WR that might.</t>

19. Terry O'Keefe

From Danny Hope:
    So win or lose Purdue wins as long as it's close?

20. Tim Gentry

ND

<r>Did he actually say that? <E>:?</E></r>