Notre Dame vs Pittsburg

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

I used to just call them Pitt, but evidently they no longer like to be called Pitt and are working hard on renaming themselves Pittsburg in the sports fans mind.

Well folks if I'm the Pittsburg DCoord this week I'm sleeping pretty easy. Put 9 men in the box, keep the safeties up tight and dare the Irish to throw.

I would not at all be surprised at a Pitt...,er Pittsburgh, win at Notre Dame Stadium this comming week.

I have also seen a post from one of those guys who always seems to know that says the Tenn fans are in the process of attempting a Neb like buy out of Notre Dame stadium...it might be pretty easy at this point.

Also can't help but notice the complete lack of game analysis from JO'Co,Corey,Krebs,Tim,Gipper,Sid,P.J., etc...just a few lines from the guys. That in itself tells you a lot about the psyche of the Notre Dame fan at this point. They are going with the wife to the mall rather than watch the game.

sigh...
    <h6>Go Irish <h6>
    Terry

[This message has been edited by Terry O'Keefe (edited 09-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Terry O'Keefe (edited 09-30-2001).]

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry
    I was on a plane traveling from SF to Det. during the game. I had Mary tape it. I haven't watched it. I think I know all I need to know. I felt that it would be hard for the seniors to recover from the Fiesta. They didn't. We may have this week the worst offense in 1a football. It doesn't get worse than that.

3. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Terry,

I feel for the ND faithful. I remember back in 1988. Tennessee lost the first 6 games of the season... yes, we were 0-6 going into the seventh game. Some of the fans were known as the "Brown Bag Gang" since they cut eye holes in brown paper bags and wore them to the games. The very next year, we went 11 - 1 and won the SEC. The amazing part is we did this with the same coach both years!

------------------
    Tennessee Tom McCord
    Go Vols! '98 National Champions!!!<B>
    It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!</B>
    tbmccord@austin.rr.com

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Tom...if we have an 0-6 start, we won't have the same coach next year that's for sure. If he wins out and wins a bowl game I guess there is a slim chance for Davie...but not much. He will have to have an incredible turn around, one that he is not capable of IMHO.

In fact he's starting to show the signs of stress that lead to the end. Last year he took over the DCoord job from his longtime friend Greg Mattison. Mattison focused on the DL and helping Bob as sort of Asst. DCoord. Now Davie has announced he's taking over the offense and that Kevin Rogers will focus his work mainly with the QB's. That's reassuring, a guy who's never coached on the offensive side of the ball running the offense. He said too many of our plays look like Chinese firedrills and had no chance...well at least he can see what even the most casual fan can see.

He's snippy now in his press conferences and when I saw his taped address to the ND fans at the Pep Rally for the A&M game, he looked like I remember Jimmy Carter at the end of his presidency..tired, worn out, exhausted...a guy at his wits end. The end is mercifully near for Bob.

Terry

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The game wasn't on TV or radio here. I can't analize what I can't see.

Today's LA Times says it wasn't shown in Chicago either. The local ABC affiliate there chose to show Illinois-Michigan instead.

Davie is doing what even Gerry Faust couldn't do. He's destroying the Notre Dame Nation...

...JO'Co

6. Guest

Guest Guest

That's a good point... With NBC lobbing millions at ND, one has to wonder how long they will stick around OR put some huge pressure on the administration to pull the trigger.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

OK, Terry, here is your game analysis. We suck. Pitt (I don't care!) sucks. It's a question of who sucks the least next Saturday. I'll be walking my youngest daughter down the aisle, so I could care less. I'm p----d. I have never felt this way before, not even with Faust. It must be my age and generally cranky demeanor. I want him gone. How's that for analysis? Sid

8. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Terry,

I wish I could have the confidence you have that we will be through with Davie after this year or during this year's season. My guess would be that even if we go 0-6 the administration still won't fire him. God, that's another one of those comments I really hate to make and REALLY hope I'm wrong. Davie will have to take himself out as far as I see it. Now he may be pressured enough by the right people to do so, but I don't see them firing him. You know the history better than I do. Can you really imagine them firing him?

The bad part is I don't know what will make things bad enough for Davie to finally say he's leaving.

Tim

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Tim,

Even if Davie some how did 7-4 or 6-5 and got a bowl bid, I can't see White keeping him another year. Davie has done some good things, he has recruited kids that stay at ND and graduate. Last years class was 100% and this years class will probably be another high %. We aren't very often on the police blotter either. But the guy just is not a Head Coach. It's his 5th year and we still have no offensive identity. You have to wonder where he'd be if he'd hired a great Offensive Coordinator from day 1 rather than letting Wadsworth talk him into hiring Jim Colletto.

When Sid Baker says he doesn't care any more and want's a coach gone, you know that every single ND Alum with any influence has told White the same thing.

Terry

10. stephenoh

stephenoh New Member

IrishSid:

I couldn't agree with you more--I didn't feel this bad during the Faust years. He even went down and beat an Ok LSU team when his back was to the wall.

I don't see this team doing that--I hope I'm wrong but this team really is playing without any spirit or hope.

Stephen

11. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Terry,

I hope you are right.

And like Sid, although I'm only a subway alumni, I have never felt this bad about ND football. Not even in the Faust years.

Tim

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes we suck...but we're sucking at home. Take the Irish and give the points.

Sid,

My daughter was married [to Grady] on a Notre Dame Saturday too. The night before, Corey, Grady and I snuck out of the two family gathering at his parent's house to attend the Damien game. All three of us were former Damien players. The ladies were not amused.

The next day, the question on everyone's lips was: What's the score? I'll bet you already know where a radio or TV will be located or you have placed a spy in a strategic location to keep you apprised of the Irish progress...

...Been There, Done That...JO'Co

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I remember that.. I was "the spy" at the wedding.. I had the TV in the limo tuned to NBC. I believe it was the ND-Vandy game. It got to the point where I had kidnapped all of the men in the bridal party and most of the booze and had hid in the limo watching the game.. This was BEFORE the wedding out in the parking lot of Holy Name of Mary [​IMG]

My sister is still touchy about that subject.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Corey...the big question is would you risk the wrath of women at a wedding this year?

That team we had hopes for...we had a real coach, who could make a team play above it's abilty at times.

Terry

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Sid
    Sit back and enjoy the wedding. Come to think of it, the father of the bride doesn't get that luxury, does he? Well congrats anyway. I'm planning on more golf on weekends this fall. Missing the Irish games would be almost as worthwhile as missing the Lions games.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

OK... So I sneaked out of my daughter's wedding reception to listen to Penn State on the radio and got busted for missing the bride's dance. That was a long time ago and I took things a lot harder then.

As a long time Nit fan one of the few bright spots (aside from Curtis's weekly assertions that we'll "win out from here") is that you dog-azz Domers are sucking about as bad as we are.

I still like Corey's Futility Bowl game idea. I can picture an overtime scenario where with the score tied 0-0 the Irish just say "the hell with it" and walk off the field. Three plays later Penn State scores.

17. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Terry:
    I was watching the game in Cape Cod and I just got back today.
    What can I add? We got our asses kicked. The entire coaching staff should go at the end of this season. This is going to take a total re-build. The toll this may take on recruiting is incalculable. I know we keep saying we have the talent but...
    I don't even have the heart to rag on them anymore; they are that bad. We are not even a Top 75 team any more.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

...three plays later Penn State scores....LOL.. [​IMG]

I guess misery loves company.

Terry

19. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Question... If Davie recruits well, has any program considered demotion rather than firing a coach?

------------------
    Tennessee Tom McCord
    Go Vols! '98 National Champions!!!<B>
    It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!</B>
    tbmccord@austin.rr.com

20. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I hate to join your pity party since my team sucks more often than it's good, so I won't! [​IMG]

Needless to say I do NOT see y'all losing to Pitt (yes, I said PITT)! They are too young even for the undisciplined, defeatist golden domer youngsters. This'll be a building block upon which to stand and you can count on (maybe one hand, hehe) additional Ws to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.