Notre Dame vs. Navy

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sid, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Minchey looks like he can pass and he's very mobile too. Oh, minor point i guess but...he's 6'2"!!!! :)

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

He was at the elite 11 this past summer and finished #5 in their composite rankings. Arch Manning for some reason didn't attend.

5. Kenny Minchey (Pitt)

Composite: 7

Day 1 - 9; Day 2 - 7; Day 3 - 5

Mr. Dependable. Minchey’s consistent accuracy—for all three days of Elite 11—earned him respect for not only his technique but also his smarts. He knows when it’s time to dump it off or to fire away into a tight window. Of all the competitors competing at this year’s Elite 11, Minchey was arguably the most unflappable from one play to the next, evidenced by improving on his ranking each day.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

That solves half the problem. We'd still be better off with an experienced transfer to act as a caretaker while our inexperienced QBs learn the college trade. If I'm Knotty the handwriting is on the wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Looks like the only QB more popular than the second string guy is the one who hasn't even committed yet. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

I'd agree with gip that it would be a good thing if we brought in a transfer like Jack Coan. Coan could have come back this year but decided it was time to move on and give the NFL a try. He went to camp with the Colts as a UDFA, but was cut before the season. He's had a few tryouts but is still not on an NFL team. Doubtful another year at ND would have changed that, but it would have been nice to have had him back. But of course when he decided he wasn't coming back more than a few, myself included, thought it was better for him to move on and go with Buchner in 2022, rather than continue the Coan/Buchner QB tandem like we had last year.

Of course there isn't anything that says we still can't bring in a transfer QB, but I'd bet if we did that the new kid wouldn't be very happy. He probably see's the current QB room as one he can come in and maybe beat them out and start. He was going to be an early enrollee at Pitt so I assume it will be the same at ND.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Don I do think in general that the ND fans are still supportive of Freeman, and while they criticize they also aknowledge he's a 1st time HC. He's still well liked and everybody wants him to succeed as they can get behind him given his character. Most of the vitriol is directed at OCoord Tommy Rees who was sort of forced on him as he was hired/retained before Freeman took the job.

Irish fans want him to succeed as I said not just because he's our coach but because they really like him. Something that couldn't be said about Davie, Willingham, Kelly and Weis after a couple of years.

He should beat Boston College this weekend. Then if he can get the team ready both mentally and physically and pull off an upset of USC he'll have had a pretty darn successful 1st year.

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Not really, the most popular is one we don't know the name of yet but we know he's coming from the portal!

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

When you're the QB of a team that generates 12 yds. of offense in a whole half, you're not at the top of the popularity list. Could any other QB do any worse?

9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

That would be a terrible half for a Pop Warner QB !

10. George Krebs

I'd like to see what Angeli has to offer. What are we saving him for?

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Help me out here. The conversation conveys the distinct impression that the offensive failures of the second half rest on the QB's and OC's shoulders. Given that information, I must assume that the OC also is the OL coach whose OL failed miserably in adjusting to the blitz and protecting the QB and opening holes for the RBs. What I saw was a QB who was swarmed the second he took the snap and had no time to even look for his first read. I also saw RBs who were hit the instant they received the handoff. I must be mistaken. I thought it was a team game and that the failures were team failures on both sides of the ball. Am I wrong?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  12. George Krebs

I think Rees has struggled all year to come up with a plan that suits his personnel. The uneven play of the O-Line was a wild card for sure. But Rees has stuck with the same basic package of plays.

Pyne simply is limited by his physical size and talent.

• Agree Agree x 1