Notre Dame vs Navy

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 1, 2021.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Buchner opens up the entire offense. All of a sudden the running game works. We are 2nd 2 instead of 2nd and 9. When Coan is in there the defense does not need to consider him running they can laser in on the single back and the WRs.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I doubt that Navy would drop 8 if Buchner were the QB because his ability to run would be a real threat against a 3 man front. I don't want to see him in there for experience, I'd like to see us change pace on teams that don't respect the QB run or scramble.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I think I'm pretty much like most fans, that is when you have a QB like Phil Jurkovec or Tyler Buchner both of whom were highly recruited you want to see them play. I mean actually play not just hand off the ball and run out the clock. Now to get to that you have to have some big wins where the game is in hand and put them in and let them run the offense, you do open yourself up to "running up the score" criticism of course. We haven't exactly been in those situations this year. I would have liked to see Buchner in the game running the regular offense the last couple of offensive series when we got up 24-6, again we'd have likely faced some criticism of running it up vs Navy, but screw that.

I like the way Buchner is being/has been used to change the pace of the offense and get the running game going, but teams will figure that out and he needs to expand his repertoire as a QB. I don't know if any of the 3 games left will offer that opportunity but if they do I hope Kelly doesn't worry about running up the score, just puts Tyler in and run the regular offense. He sounds like he's ready to do that, and I have to remember that his job is to win the game, not to satisfy fans desire to see certain players get their chance.

On QB Tyler Buchner:
    "I think where we're at the point where the role continues to expand even more to what we've seen. I think it's been in a box to a sense. I think this week we open it up even more and continue to expand it because we've seen really consistent performances. I think a little bit more during the week adds to his overall kind of influence in the game.”

4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1