Notre Dame vs CAL

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Uneaten CAL Bears come to Notre Dame Stadium Saturday.

Before the disaster vs Marshall and losing our QB for the season I would have put this in the win column. Now I have to say that we probably should be underdogs and I fear that we will open the season 0-3.

While nothing has been said I have to assume that Drew Pyne will be the starter. Good kid, his parents love him and are proud of him. He has always wanted to be the Notre Dame QB.

He had a great HS career, in Connecticut. I am rooting for him. But he's 5'11", not possessing the nifty feet and escapability of an Ian Book and not blessed with a strong arm . He is said to be a very heady kid and he is well liked.

Now that we know that Tyler Buchner is done for the season, he's getting his wish to the starting QB @ Notre Dame.

I pray that his dream comes true, but more importantly that Heistand get the OL up to standard so that he has a chance.

Al Washington was highly regarded coming from OSU, but so far his DL has not played up to what was expected of them. Isiah Foskey hasn't looked like a future 1st round draft pick. That wasn't Ohio State that drove the length of the field in 4th qtr.

Defense is still healthy and they still have potential, but they need to be what everyone thought they would be, as they are going to have to carry the team.

As I predicted, the tar/feathers and the pitch forks are out for Tommy Rees. I don't think there is a fire Rees website up, yet. Heistand isn't far behind.

Support for Freeman is still solid, feeling is that he was dealt a bad hand by Swarbrick retaining Rees before he was hired. That he should have been able to hire his own OCoord.

For this game I am hoping for a repeat of the 2010 season where we had 2 bad losses
    in a row, to Navy and then to Tulsa when we had the game won just had to kick a FG (chip shot) with very little time left and get the win but Kelly decided he had enough time for one more play and had Rees throw an endzone fade which was picked off....game over Tulsa wins. Anger amongst fans was off the charts.

The next week #15 Utah came to Notre Dame Stadium big favorites nobody thought we could win, but somehow we got it together and beat them soundly. We were 4-5 going into the game most thought we could easily lose out.

Instead the victory turned around the season and we won the next 3 games including beating USC @ the Colisieum and Miami in the Sun Bowl.

So maybe there is some hope. o_O;)

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Last year we were 11-1 in the regular season and not one of these insufferable ND fans said a word about Rees other than they were glad he stayed and didn't go with Kelly. The group speak is unbearable. I wish these know-it-alls would send a package of can't miss plays that an O coordinator can call with a pathetic O line, midiocre receivers and a struggling QB. I love the "they should have been using Buchner running earlier" posts. Sure, he would have been hurt in Qtr. 2 instead of late in the game.
    Every season we sign supposed 4 and 5 star O linemen. How is it all we have is 5 pylons out there? OK that's enough, I should have paid attention to Sid's mother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

I am a bit surprised that the Irish have opened as 10 point favorites over CAL

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm ending my self-imposed one-week exile from the ND topics to post this:

I'm proud of my fellow ND Skyboxers for their restraint this week. Fair criticisms. Zero meltdowns. I hope we all can be rewarded with a win on Saturday. Hopefully, it helps that Coach Freeman now is officially a Catholic. Just kidding, guys.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Welcome back Sid, I have missed you!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Cal plays good defense typically. We should challenge them at the LOS defensively.

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

This team came out of the offseason totally flat. What we have seen on the field, across the board has been the exact opposite of what we were told to expect. So it is only natural that I take the Irish and lay the 12 points today against Cal. It is an outrageous spread considering ND has shown virtually no offense nor ability to take the ball away. However I am betting on Drew Pyne being the catalyst. He will be the story of this season, salvaging some respectability for this team. Today is his coming out party.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Holy Mary mother of God, pray for our offense now and at the hour of our kick off. Amen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Almost unwatchable 4 3 and outs, 2 penalties, a 5 yd. Pass into the dirt, a short 3rd down pass right through the receiver’s hands. HTF does a 5th receiver jump on a running play nowhere near him?

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Lost fumbled snap. Punter needed a break

11. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

You've got to learn to creep before you can crawl. Unimpressive win by the Irish who managed to almost end up in overtime after a stupid targeting call on what would have been their FIRST turnover of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. George Krebs

Freeman chose to sit on a 7 point lead for over 7 minutes and almost paid the ultimate price for it. Not one pass, no serious attempt to move the ball. I was completely off base about Pyne; he opened the game petrified, throwing his first pass into the dirt and taking a snap right in the face mask as it went through his hands. When Rees lost his cool and screamed "Do your F*ckin job! " into the phone at him it seemed to wake him up. There is something major missing with this team; a malaise that I can't put my finger on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Don Ballard

The win for the Irish today may not have been a classic one, but a win certainly beats losing. I am confident better days are ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Did Manti's presence help? Length 2:07

• Like Like x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I have the game recorded but I don't think I'll watch it. Just reading stuff it seems like we still have a lot of issues on offense, even though it played better in the 2nd half. The defense again seemed to collapse late in the game allowing CAL a shot at the end. Maybe they played better overall but so far what seemed to be a defense that was going to be really good this year with a lot of returning players who I thought were very good players esp the DL and LB's.

If we are going to get above .500 this year that offensive line is going to have to get better and Rees is going to have to figure out an offensive approach that fits the talent he's working with now that Pyne is the QB.

Speaking of Rees, most of the chatter I'm seeing is still REES HAS TO GO, with a number of threads where people are parsing every word that Freeman says and building up that there is a fracture between the two on how the offense is being run and that Freeman will fire him at the end of the season. Freeman himself still has a lot of support though.

But for the moment I am in the camp that while the CAL game didn't go as I'd hoped it would with a big solid win, it was a win and that's really what counts. Win, move on, get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, re: watching the game replay. This is my first football season with YouTube TV. I couldn't watch the game live on Saturday, so I recorded it to my "library". This morning, when I went to watch it, I had the option of watching only key plays. I chose that option. There were 32 key plays identified. I got through it in less than 30 minutes. What a cool option!

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Don Ballard

Sid, I love Youtube TV and their library options. Much better than Hulu or You Tube videos.

19. George Krebs

This team came in on the tail winds of 8 months of heavy hype. They have their entire O-Line back and tons of experience and talent on the defense. At this point a lot of people have seriously mis-judged this team, from the "experts" to the fans and in between. Why is that?

It is clear that Freeman has little confidence in his offense at this point. As such his play calling with the lead was three runs and a punt and he put a lot of pressure on his defense as a result. Let's be honest, if it weren't for a phantom offsides call on Cal on a missed FG attempt we are 0-3. Simple as that.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm confused, we have "tons of experience and talent on the defense" and we're playing with a backup QB with little experience and a thin reciever corps that's not very productive, and yet playing conservative at the end with a lead and hoping the D could do their job is the wrong call?