Notre Dame Spring

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tim Gentry, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:idea:

re: Bilal

He looks like a good one to me.

2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:idea:

The one I'm looking at here is a 6'6" DE at Orange Lutheran HS named Keisean Lucier-South. O'Lu blasted us (Damien HS) in our opener last year and my grandson (the QB) was wearing him like an extra uniform. Every time he turned around that kid was on top of him. We had no one in our school who could block him and he was only a junior...

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Besides Bilal there is a Fla kid named Coney who the Irish are in on and hope to pull him out of there. Getting both Bilal and Coney would be a nice comeback from losing Hilliard to the Buckeyes.

4. Terry O'Keefe

I think this was Joel's Sr. Year at Notre Dame, I'm sure he's in that crowd! ;)

[​IMG]

5. Terry O'Keefe

Are you ready for some football?

[​IMG]

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why I don't see ND at many of these 'staple' events in the South. For example, my son attended quite possibly the premier lineman summer camp in the South over the past 2 days. He was one of the few freshman there. The camp this year had 650 kids from Texas to Florida. EVERYBODY was at least represented there, except Midwestern teams.. I get that for state schools, but a private school with a national fan base, you'd think that they'd be there.. send the line coach, what else is he doing this week anyway?

I think we can all agree that this game is won and lost across the line. The SEC dominance is often attributed to the 'SEC speed' but I've grown to appreciate the point of view about line play in the SEC.(and I believe someone years ago made this exact point.. Vol Jeff maybe?) The skill people are pretty top flight in the conference, but the difference is the line play.. not the skill people.

I mean, we struggle to find quality DL's historically and ND can't be arsed to show up at a camp where most (if not all) of the South's best DLs are right there for the viewing.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Not sure why either Corey. I do know that Georgia State is having a camp next year that ND assistants are going to be working. The GSU head coach has ties to ND and that is why he's hired ND assistants to work the camp. He's also having other schools like Penn State be the assistants at his camp I think maybe this year.

I wonder what the rules are about coaches at some of these things. I know for a fact that no school had coaches at the Opening, lots of media types but no coaches. Now it might be that Nike won't allow it so that it doesn't turn from a Corp promo for them into a recruiting camp.

BTW: What was the name of the camp and where was it held? I'm going to ask around why ND wasn't there.

8. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

It's the Southeastern Line Camp. It's a no frills event held at Clay-Chalkville HS. It's not one of the pretty boy camps like those things sponsored by Nike or energy drinks with lots of ESPN coverage and hype.

It's a brutal 3 day brawl in the Alabama sun with nothing but big uglies on both side of the ball.

I've learned that there are a few of these camps that are used by various agencies to make determinations for various All-Star games and post-season recruiting events.

http://www.southeasternlinecamp.com/

9. Terry O'Keefe

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aUly-qxUV5A" frameborder="0"></iframe>

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That video fires me up! Let's go!

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D

This year is the first time in a long, long time, that I feel confident that we have at least two, varsity level, game ready QBs...

12. Terry O'Keefe

Field Turf Video. Meh...it's a commercial and not an esp good one IMHO>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ts3fTjqG0_w" frameborder="0"></iframe>

13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Not a great commercial, but I "watched" to the end because I've always liked that piece of music from Rudy.
    :D

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen it yet, here is what the new field turf will look like:

[​IMG]

The two tiny marks on the 35 yard lines are shamrocks, marking the spots for ball placement on kickoffs.

15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I like it. The turf will be a big improvement and the ND now lets the other team know that they are the visitors. The only change I would have liked would be IRISH in both endzones.

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree, George. That would be cool, but like you, I like it. It appears that they opted for the most understated appearance.

17. Terry O'Keefe

I think a Block IRISH would have looked good as well, but probably would have set off a firestorm with some alumni.

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

In the discussion about speed, I think the critical speed difference is not the so-called skill positions but the big uglies. I think the SEC has some of the fastest (quickest feet anyway) interior linemen and linebackers. I think that is where the greatest difference may be.

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree. I believe it's one of the unspoken attributes of OL yet one of the most important criteria in recruiting.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Read this, it's about Johnathon Bonner a 3 star freshman DE from Missouri. If this doesn't make him one of your favorite freshmen...welll...

It's a letter he wrote to himself in the 8th grade and saved. He's already a success.

Letter from himself