Notre Dame Recruiting and Bowl Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Looks like Kerry Coombs, Ohio State Cornerbacks coach, will be leaving Columbus to be an assistant for Mike Vrabel, the new head coach for The Tennessee Titans. Not confirmed yet, but it appears to be a done deal.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish men put up a fight down the stretch again but came up short.. Lost. Duke up next.

Irish women just hammered a pretty good FSU team, won by 31 going away.

Irish Hockey split their series with Minnesota on the road.

Not that anybody really follows but Irish Tennis beat a highly ranked Texas team in Austin this weekend.

And last but not least, we picked up a 4* CB from Georgia (2019) this weekend

3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Nice pickup but a little early for me to get excited on this one. I'm waiting for the rest of the 2018 class to fill out.</r>

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It was that way when I was on the tennis team there.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah I don't think college Tennis draws much of a crowd. Tennis is one sport it would seem that being a northern school isn't that much of a deal, since this time of year they have a lot of indoor tourney's and you can easily work and play indoors.

In fact the tourney in Austin was a qualifying event for the Indoor Nationals to be held next month in Seattle.

What kind of indoor facilities did they have at ND when you were on the team Mike? Even here in Houston when I played tennis I belonged to a club that had both outdoor courts and 8 courts that were covered by a sort of quonset hut bubble that we also played at...they were great when it was 100 degrees outside because they were air conditioned.

6. Terry O'Keefe

On a sad note Kevin Stepherson was arrested again over the weekend, in Ft. Wayne , for possession of pot. Clearly this kid has a problem and needs help. He reportedly was allowed to enroll for this semester and work on his academics while figuring out where he wants to transfer for the next part of his college football career.

Sadly I think he needs to be expelled and he needs to go home to his family and they need to get him some help with his behavior issues. If I were a coach I would not want him on my team, you clearly can't count on him and you risk him getting other players caught up in his web of bad behavior.

He has a lot of talent in football, but like that WR for the Browns he can't get out of his own way with regards to his addictions. He's going to likely waste it all.

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

They had NO indoor facilities for tennis when I was at ND. The courts were just west of the stadium. I remember hitting balls in November with snow flakes falling and deciding that tennis this way was no longer enjoyable for me.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I think I've read more positive things about the Jr. Day weekend than ever before. Maybe BK finally is getting it about organization and effort with regards to recruiting. It's what has made Urban and Saban so successful on the recruiting trail.

From ISD's Matt Freeman.
    Also reading some positive vibes about Jeff Quinn getting out there on the recruiting trail. Harry was a reluctant recruiter, didn't like to help other positions, and didn't really like to cast a wide net for his guys either. So it'll be awhile till we know if Quinn is going to be as good or maybe even better than Harry as a coach, but we'll be able to see the results of his efforts on the recruiting trail pretty quickly.

9. Tim Gentry

Notre Dame

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Hope this is correct</r>

10. Terry O'Keefe

Several articles about Terry Joseph's hire over on Mike Franks site...all extremely positive, Matt Freeman called him possibly a Home Run hire for the Irish. Said he was very active at the Jr. Day recently. All good news.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Sounds like the Irish have good shots at picking up WR Lawrence Keys from Louisiana and DL Derrick Eason from North Carolina. The So.Cal OL Jarret Patterson is looking like a win for UCLA. RB C'Bo Flemister from Georgia is looking pretty good as well.

Nobody knows about OL Petite-Frere from Fla.

If we get Keys, Eason, Flemister, and Luke Jones (who is a lock) that would be a good not great finish as all those guys are 3 star players, but if some how we end up with Petite-Frere that becomes a great finish.

Also it looks like the LB from Mater Dei, Solomon Tuliaupupu ...is going to USC.
    Getting him was always a long shot. If he came it would be a bigger upset than Weis stealing T'eo from USC.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Indy Star has an article up on Jack Swarbrick and the USAG scandal. It' a part of his resume' that he was their General Counsel. While I doubt if Jack knew what was going on with Nassar, his position as GC and advising the USAG on legal matters regarding this is going to be problematic for him.
    Not sure where alll this will go, but it's going to touch a lot of people. Already has at MSU and it's expanding.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/02/05/notre-dame-athletic-director-jack-swarbrick-advised-usa-gymnastics-sex-abuse-policy/1079569001/

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Not sure where the "problem" is other than the perception of some. I'm sure that the NDN posters who don't like him will blow this up on the board. I read the article and saw that a past president tried to avoid responsibility by laying the blame on him. Who knows what the facts are? Swarbrick can't counter the accusation because he's bound by attorney-client privilege, and the other guy isn't. He's an honorable guy. Hopefully, like Izzo and Dantonio, he can withstand the potential social media barrage.

14. Terry O'Keefe

The Indy Star is digging deep on this issue. I would agree with you that Swarbrick seems like a good attny and an honorable man. But there is a lot of potential it would seem for guilt by association and by others laying off blame on you.

As I said it's already impacted people at MSU who had distinguished careers in the service of MSU. I won't be shocked it Jack finds himself under fire.

15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Just looked at NFL draft projections for the Irish.

Quenton Nelson : high to mid 1st round. Can't miss .

Mike McGlinchey: low 1st to high 2nd. Move to right tackle.

Josh Adams: 4th round. No mans's land.

Durham Smythe and E. St. Brown : 7th round. Good luck!

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree. As much as I believe the criticism is not warranted, we'll just have to see how it plays out. It's a horrible situation, and anyone even remotely associated to the parties directly involved is going to be under scrutiny.

17. Terry O'Keefe

I'd like to see Durham Smythe in a Texans uniform. Wouldn't touch E. St.Brown with a 10 foot poll.

18. Tim Gentry

Notre Dame

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Agreed except I'd I'd like to see Smythe in a Colts uniform <E>:D</E></r>

19. Terry O'Keefe

Well the Irish signed 4 players today

C'Bo Flemster RB
    DJ Brown CB
    Luke Jones OL
    Jarret Patterson OL

Still out there is Boykin a DB who is said to be considering UVA as well.

Big loss with Nickolas Petite-Frere, and Derrick Eason who just last week seemed to be a lock to flip from NCState. But changed his mind yesterday and decided to stay with NCState.

All in All a very good class, could've been better but not bad.

20. Terry O'Keefe

I forgot about Keys, WR from Louisiana, who is expected to choose ND.