Notre Dame Football 2024

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 23, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Notre Dame’s marquee matchup with Texas will be one of the biggest games of the women’s basketball season, and it will now be a primetime contest.

On Monday, the ACC and SEC announced that the Dec. 5 game, which is part of this year’s SEC/ACC Challenge, will tip off on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET. The Irish were the No. 4 team in ESPN’s Way-Too-Early Top 25 last spring, while the Longhorns were No. 6.

The Big 12 Tournament Champs, coached by Vic Schaefer, finished 33-5 last year as the Longhorns’ season came to a close in the Elite Eight after falling to NC State.

This will be the first matchup between the two Power 5 schools in 27 years as they last faced each other on March 17, 1997 in the NCAA Championship Second Round, where Notre Dame won 86-83. With the overall series split at 1-1, the Irish have played both previous games in Austin, Texas and will host the Longhorns for the first time ever this fall.

2. Terry O'Keefe

This is the Irish wear green game, where fans are supposed to wear green.. When asked if the team would wear green jerseys, he said it would be the Captains decision. :confused:

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

My youngest granddaughter is at Cathedral. I'll make a point of attending 1 or 2 BB games this coming season and offer my amateur assessment. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Another one that according to what the ND boards are predicting....
    Shrewsberry working hard, has been a long time since we beat out Mich State and IU for a good player, if in fact he does come to ND.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Another Indy area kid from Fishers. Transferred to LaLumiere for his senior season. He's been touted since his freshman year. No surprise for a 5-star kid.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2024
  6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Gotta give Coach credit, he hit the ground running when he arrived last year and has worked tirelessly to rebuild the program. Many feel like that there is another big verbal coming Friday from a kid from a NE prep school, Phillips Exeter in NH, Ryder Frost another top 100 kid.

Haralson is the highest rated recruit in a very long time at ND.

Things looking up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

From linked ESPN Article

Notre Dame made a statement on the recruiting trail Wednesday, beating out Indiana and Michigan State for the 2025 class's No. 10 prospect, Jalen Haralson, the best boys' high school player in the state of Indiana.

Micah Shrewsberry has recruited effectively since taking over in South Bend after the 2022-23 season, landing four ESPN 100 prospects in the past 18 months. Wednesday was different. Haralson was a national recruit, with offers from the likes of Duke, Kansas, Auburn, Missouri and others. The 6-foot-7 small forward was a priority for Indiana whom Mike Woodson and his staff spent plenty of time trying to woo to Bloomington. Michigan State was involved, Purdue was involved.

The impact of 2025 No. 10 recruit Jalen Haralson's commitment on Notre Dame, others

9. Terry O'Keefe

Army seemingly having a great year and is a Thursday night game with Temple. Army is the 11th game of the season for the Irish and will be at Yankee Stadium. So you can get a preview.

Also, not really sure what to think of this stat but it seems like a good thing!

10. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Nice to have some Indiana talent stay in state.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Tim! Good to hear from you!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Well the Irish will wear green jerseys on Saturday.

Not a lot of confidence amongst ND fans that we can win. Many feel like Jeff Brohm is the better coach and that Riley Leonard is a millstone around the neck of the offense with his passing.

Irish are a slight favorite right now, and maybe should have a chip on their shoulders from the butt kicking the Cardinals admistered last year.

Me I of course want to win, and it's become the narrative that we must win out to have a shot at the playoffs. But above and beyond that I have a strong dislike for Louisville.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I was puzzled by the lack of passes by Leonard over the middle in the first couple of games. After watching those wild throws last Sat. I can now see why. When you're that wild over the middle against a zone defense you're likely to get picked. Once again we're playing with a sub par QB. It's so tiring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Another big verbal for Coach Shrewsberry.

Ryder Frost from Phillips Exeter in New Hampshire gave his verbal. Right now the Irish have the #1 ranked 2025 class on 247.

15. Terry O'Keefe

A lot of gurus are calling the game for the Irish, including John Vannie. All 4 guys at Irish Sports Dailey called it for ND.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If I had a website that depended on interest in Irish football, I'd be praying out loud about this game too.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Crazy 1st half, Irish fumble the opening KO and Louisvilles scores, then both teams turn it over and the Irish run out to 21-7 before another turnover gives Louisville a TD and a we add on a FG and a big 4th down stop and it's 24-14 at the half. Cardinals get the ball to start the 2nd half.

Troubling besides turnovers, is Louisville running the football very well on the Irish defense.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Irish hold on to win 31-24. It was an ugly win though. Louisville won every category of stats but the scoreboard.

I did like the uniforms today though!!:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I don't cre if they win every game from here on out. They don't belong in the playoffs. Oh and N. Ill. lost today to NC State. That loss still stinks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

After sleeping on it, I'm going to disagree with gipper. I do of course want to win all the remaining games and if we do I'll be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs at 11-1. However I don't really think this team is going to run the table, I can't say where we will lose maybe the last game of the year at USC. But this just seems like a team that will finish 9-3 or at best 10-2. Truthfully given the injuries and the youth on the OL and how things have turned out at QB so far, that would be a pretty good year.

I expect that we will jump Louisville in the AP poll to #15 but that's it. Next week is a bye and no upward movement is likely. It will be a struggle to get into the top 12 even winning as our schedule isn't very strong.