Notre Dame Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

This might be your year George?o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Alas, Don, we ND fans are loathe to let our hopes and dreams delude us into being optimistic. We've felt this way in the past only to be emotionally crushed by the Thunder on the Scioto. The Buckeyes see us as just another victim in their quest for the national championshop. I'm always hopeful, but I refuse to put myself in the position of picking up the pieces of my heart after the game.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is that this is best Irish team in quite a while. Definitely the quickest and most athletic and this is the best QB we have had in god knows how long. We lost by 11 last year with a far less talented team and Buchner at QB. OSU lost Stoud and we gained Hartman. If this is team is for real they will win this game.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Don Ballard

BuckeyeT and I both feel this will be a close game. Hopefully both teams perform well and a break here or there could be the difference.

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

We've got legitimate question marks on the OL and a brand new QB looking at only his 5th career start and zero in a road setting remotely close to what he'll find in SB. While the defense appears to have taken the next step at improvement, the jury remains out over our ability to limit a power running game without a material risk of leaks out the back end ala UGA and TUN of just last year. 10th year QB Hartman provides an experienced and savvy element that we simply didn't have to provide for last year. If the outside threats for ND are such that we can safely sneak an extra hat into the box, that could be a difference maker. My guess is that we will test that theses early. I think this Buckeye team has a chance to be better by year end than last years version, but they are not there yet to be sure esp as regards the OL and young QB. I fully expect the game to be in doubt well into the 4th Qtr

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

You're wrong about Hartman. He's in his 11th year. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. BuckeyeT

Gonna be interesting and he is gonna be the key, imo. I'm uncertain what Knowles has dialed up for him to be honest. I do know that they spent some time in camp working on ND stuff, so we'll see. My guess is that the grizzled old veteran QB is going to have to get rid of the ball much quicker than he has in the first few games but then he prob had alot of experience with that at Wake, so it might play right into his wheelhouse :(

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree with BT that our QB will be under pressure the entire game. I'll add that our heretofore dominating rushing game will be hampered, not completely shut down but hampered mightily by the opponent's defensive scheme.

9. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

There were many bright spots for ND in the CM game but we had almost 600 yds of offense and gave up less than 300 and 17pts. We should have easily scored 56 on them and kept them to 10 or less pts. I was starting to feel good about the OhSt game but I'm not now

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

What makes me feel comfortable with this game is that for the first time in a long time ND seems to have the edge at QB. Our receivers are inexperienced but somewhat talented. Our defense had better tackle a whole lot better than they did Sat. or we're in for a long disappointing game. Bucks are a 3 pt. favorite in Vegas.

11. BuckeyeT

QBs gonna be a big factor for sure. We were able to shut down your running game last year without a game changing downfield threat either at QB or out wide. Hartman provides an added dimension about which to be concerned. I don't know enough about your WR to know if that's gonna be a material threat or not but in any event, if we can contain the run game and get pressure on the wily old vet without adding another body to the LOS, I know I'll be able to breath easier. I expect the defense to play very well, it's a much improved and experienced unit from the last game and much less mistake prone. My chief concerns begin and end with our OL

12. Tim Gentry

Well we have our QB for the 2025 class and he’s a good one for sure. Deuce Knight a 4* from SEC country.

First off, I’m big on relationships, Knight said. “I think relationships played a key part into the whole recruiting process and that's where I had the best relationship. Coach Freeman was the most involved person in my recruitment from a head coach standpoint. I talked to coach Freeman three, four times a week.”

13. Don Ballard

Sounds like a good one Tim! Congratulations.:cool:

14. Don Ballard

I know Sid has been very critical of Notre Dame fans selling their tickets in past home games. Any feel of others for this approaching game. I anticipate a large following of Buckeye fans will attend if tickets are available.

15. Tim Gentry

I like both Tommy Rees and Tyler Buchner a lot but.. seeing what is happening at Alabama makes me wonder if both of them were not what I thought they were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

To be honest, I was.surprised when Saban hired.Rees as.the OC. Unproven. Quite a change from Alabama's recent OCs

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tim Gentry

Before I forget, I’m pleasantly surprised how much Thomas Harper the portal transfer from OkSt is doing. He’s really turning out to be a good get so far.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I latched onto a couple of tickets through my class but I'm a few weeks from knee replacement surgery and can't go. Give my tix to my daughter and she's taking one of her ND roommates. Got an email from the ticket office about a little something that they're planning for the game. It involves, luminating wrist bands coordinated by section.

19. Tim Gentry

Gipper,

sorry to hear about your knee, I’m probably going to end up with a knee replacement myself

Glad to see your daughter is going though. Hope they have a great time and see an Irish win!

20. BuckeyeT

• Informative Informative x 2