Notre Dame Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Sun Bowl win would be nice for sure, but given both teams are missing a bunch of players not sure it will mean anything as far as next season goes. It will certainly be interesting to see if Angeli does well and sticks with Notre Dame or uses a good performance to find a new school.

Freeman has had a pretty good few weeks, other than the Portal losses which were mostly players who wouldn't play much in 2024.

New WR coach ✅
    Top Portal QB ✅
    Solid WRs from Portal to fill WR room ✅
    Good DE portal guy for pass rush ✅
    Get rid of Parker and upgrade OC ✅
    Keep recruiting class together ✅
    Mills/X-Watts/Cross Back ✅

Losing Rico was obviously a negative, but excellent month since last game.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Peanut Butter Angeli. Love it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Who would have thought…you lose your OC on Monday and by Friday you get one of the best OCs in the country hired.

Great hire by Frreman and ND

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tim Gentry

I’m hearing Al Golden is getting an extension! Wow! What a week!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Was talking with Commish last night about the developments. He seems to think that Marcus has access to considerably more money than prior coaches had. Denbrock might have come for the culture but you know that he didn't come cheap. I suspect a fund separate from the athletic budget is supplementing salaries.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

As to the point that Commish made Mike, it's being reported that Denbrock go 4 years 9M. That's a lot of money.

Also Golden is getting an extension to his contract and you can bet he'll get at least what Denbrock is getting.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Nice article on the ND Men's and Women's Golf Teams visit to St. Andrews for participation in the 1st St. Andrews Links Collegiate. Golf Channel also did a 1 hour documentary on it, I have not watched that yet but I will.

For the first time in St. Andrews history, four American universities were invited to compete in the inaugural St. Andrews Links Collegiate. Notre Dame, one of the most storied universities and sports programs in the world, was among them. From South Bend to St. Andrews, the GOLF Team embedded with the men’s and women’s golf teams to document their journey to Scotland for “Beyond the Bend: Notre Dame’s Odyssey to the Home of Golf”

The Fighting Irish faced stiff competition against some of the most respected academic schools and decorated golf programs. Vanderbilt, North Carolina and Georgetown joined Notre Dame for this first-of-its-kind event.

“For the inaugural event, we wanted to make sure we had some great schools coming,” said Laurie Watson, Director of Engagement for St. Andrews Links. “A school like Notre Dame is renowned across the world. A historic university at the Home of Golf? It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Beyond The Bend: Notre Dame's Odyssey to the Home of Golf

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Tim are you going to the Sun Bowl?

9. Tim Gentry

Yes! My son Brian will be with me too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Nice job bringing home a winner Tim. Peanut butter did a good job spreading it around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tim Gentry

It was a perfect day for football and my son and I thoroughly enjoyed being there.
    That was easily a 80% ND crowd.
    After being nervous about how Angeli would perform I thought he looked very calm, cool, collected and confident.
    Faison, wow, obviously just great.
    The last time they sold this game out was 2010 when ND beat Miami and the second time was yesterday. ND just has that kind of drawing power especially in this town.
    My back was killing me most of the time as I had surgery just a couple of weeks ago but as long as ND was winning I wasn’t complaining.
    Been a long time since I’ve remembered such a balanced attack from ND and Denbrock hasn’t even started yet.

Anyway, great game to close the season and puts more optimism into next year.

GO IRISH!!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Terry O'Keefe

As George said on Facebook, it was our second string guys vs their second string guys so hard to take much away from the game other than it was nice to get a big win.

Both offensive and defensive teams looked good. It probably says as much about the depth that Freeman has built up as anything.

Didn't help OSU that they were with out their HC.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Good news for Irish fans, nice to top off the year. Although I'm not sure why he needed this video and I wonder how much it cost him to have it made, but still it's good news.

14. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the Fighting Irish men's basketball team got a huge upset win over a very good UVA team that was 10-2 going into the game. They are usually very tough bunch to beat and very well coached. But the Irish jumped on them from the tip off and never really looked back to put up a solid 76-54 win.

Irish women open ACC play tomorrow at Syracuse. They are a very solid basketball team who is 10-1.

15. Terry O'Keefe

John Vannie from NDNation on the game.

The victory was a positive end to a season that will be remembered as much for its three gut-wrenching losses as the ten wins. The Irish demonstrated there are many reasons for optimism heading into 2024 as a number of young players performed extremely well. Among them were freshman tackle Charles Jagusah, cornerback Christian Gray, Faison and Love. It was also good to see the veteran wideout Thomas play extremely well after an injury-plagued fall campaign.

Angeli also staked his claim for the starting job next season. He was a cool 14 of 18 for 212 yards and added a few impressive runs to move the chains. On the other hand, Freeman is bringing in graduate transfer Riley Leonard this spring to essentially replace Sam Hartman and possibly take over as the starter. We’ll have to wait until April before this competition is resolved.

Riley’s main advantages over Angeli are game experience and the ability to extend plays when the pocket breaks down. He is not a better passer than Angeli, however, and the current players responded well to Angeli’s leadership throughout the bowl practices and the game itself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Tim Gentry

All things considered, it was a great game for this team.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish ladies suffered a tough road loss at Syracuse. Lots of coaching points for the staff to work on before the next game (Pitt). Missed layups, turnovers, etc. We are a very good team even without the missing players, but we are going to lose more games, I'd say the O/U on losses is 8

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Get this kid's name and put him on the recruiting list for the Class of 2040! These are not light even for a grown-ass man.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Prister put this together... Salve for frustrated ND football fans.

And speaking of statistics that don’t generally impress the frustrated Notre Dame fans who crave a national title for the first time since 1988, the Irish have won at least 10 games in six of the last seven seasons with a cumulative 73-17 record for an 81.1 winning percentage since 2017.

That is surpassed by just four Power 5 programs – Ohio State 79-8 (.908), Alabama 87-10 (.896), Georgia 86-11 (.886) and Clemson 81-15 (.843). Michigan 68-19 (.781) is just below the Irish.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Tim Gentry

Top 150 DE Chris Burgess Commits to Notre Dame
    The 12th addition to Notre Dame's 2025 recruiting class, Christopher Burgess has committed to Notre Dame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1