Notre Dame Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

The Irish women go to Knoxville and pull out a gutty win vs the Lady Vols. They were down for most of the game, and couldn't buy a basket in the 1st half while the Lady Vols were shooting the lights out. But Coach Ivey made some strategy changes in the 2nd half and we started to score inside and the Vols cooled off a bit. We were 16 down at one point and then in the last couple of minutes we finally got thel lead and never relinquished it and won 74-69. We did it with out hitting a single 3 pointer, we also took 72 shots to the Vols 57, I was surprised at that number.

Great road win in the SEC/ACC challange.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

So which QB hits the portal? Angeli? Minchey? Both? And Merriweather is gone? This is a joke. College football has become a joke. You can't even debate these teams with your pals because these teams have no identity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

That'll make for an interesting story line (Riley Leonard) if he starts his first game against his former coach...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

There are more coming George. Irish will need to look at the portal not just for a QB but for some WR's and LT (assuming Fisher choses to leave for the NFL).

On the QB, lots of reports that the Irish lead for Riley Leonard's services, which we can assume that we are paying top NIL dollar for him. The thing I like about him is that he's a big kid who can run and I think that's a big advantage in college football these days. Here's his highlight film.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Good story on Anthony Rezac, a PWO QB, whose brother Teddy is an LB commit for 2024. He had an awesome career as a HS QB in Omaha but not much action on the scholarship and reportedly had offers from the Service Academies and the Ivies, so he's a pretty bright kid. Article is not paywalled.

Anthony Rezac led Omaha Westside to consecutive Nebraska Class A state titles as the starting quarterback.

As a senior this year, he went 160-of-218 (73.4%) for 2,316 yards and 30 touchdowns to just five interceptions. He also turned 97 carries into 905 yards (9.3 yards/carry) and three touchdowns.

One of his targets on the perimeter is his identical twin brother Teddy Rezac whose primary role is a combination of linebacker and safety. Defense is where he’ll compete at the next level, committing to Notre Dame in the spring.

Their dad DJ Rezac was an all-state linebacker at Westside in the 1980s, and his dad coached the Omaha program a decade earlier. The twins have an older brother in Dominic Rezac, a former all-state running back who left Westside for Vanderbilt in 2022.

Lifelong Teammates: Anthony Rezac to Join Twin Brother at Notre Dame

• Like Like x 1
  6. George Krebs

Freshman WR Braylon James to the portal. I count three WRs hitting the bricks since Stuckey was fired.

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

When does the bleeding stop? Braylon James to the portal really shocks me. I watched an interview with his Mother early this year and she seemed really happy her son was going to ND and so did he. So what’s the deal? Your freshman year you don’t get many snaps? This is crazy.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah I don't get it, the talk was that there was a problem with communication in the WR room which I take to mean the players didn't like the way Stuckey did things. Sort of like when Kelly and Chip Long parted company. Rumor then was that if Chip didn't go a number of players were going. He was reportedly an ass hole .

So if the players didn't like him, why are the bailing now that he's gone. Very strange.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tim Gentry

Here is one Bullet we dodged I guess.

From Dante Moore who was a crazy story from the beginning if you remember. He's now entering the portal after having been at UCLA his freshman season:

"For these next upcoming years, I just want to go to a place where I can get developed," . "That's the main thing is really development, making sure you're bettering yourself every day and having a staff around you that's going to help develop you. So I'd say the biggest things are going to a place where I can get developed and continue to love and have fun playing football and be around a place that loves college football and be around great athletes."

I think he was benched after his 3rd or 4th game.

I guess he got his money now he needs development???????

10. Tim Gentry

This Portal may be good for the players but for coaches and fans it's insanity.

11. George Krebs

If Joe Alt sits down coupled with three WRs taking off why would Hartman consider playing? He would have lost his center, his blindside protection, his star TE and two key WRs. So far.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Couldn't agree more. Plus I somehow think the bleeding might not have stopped. We'll be taking the Scout team to the bowl game.:oops:

13. George Krebs

14. George Krebs

This won't last forever. Eventually we'll be out of players,
    Notre Dame safety Ramon Henderson has entered the transfer portal.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Ramon Henderson is in the portal.

While the opt outs have not dropped yet. I can't imagine that Estime will play and as George mentioned Alt it a prime candidate and of course Sam Hartman. Zeke Correll is gone. I wonder about Blake Fisher will he opt out for the NFL, lots think he should come back and go back to LT where he won the job as a freshman before the injury.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Tampering with players going to the Portal has been reported since the portal opened. Pat Narduzzi complained about it when Jordan Addison went to USC and Mack Brown complained about teams contacting Drake Maye offering big NIL money if he'd go into the portal and join their program.

17. Tim Gentry

Terry,
    I don’t think that as of today we know who will be playing in the bowl game. Neither the ND players or who ever our opponent is.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Ok when I read George's link Pete Thamel reported that ND might have interest and target Riley, and a bunch of people I have never heard of jumped on his twitter and accused ND of tampering. Nobody credible has made that accusation as yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Same here. I read a reliable report that RL has a "Do Not Contact" sign on his portal door, that he intends to initiate contact with teams he's interested in talking to.

• Like Like x 1
  20. George Krebs

I don't care whether we tampered or not. We'll do worse than that as the new Wild West Football League continues to devolve. If we want to compete.

• Agree Agree x 1