Notre Dame Fall Camp.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Interesting article on Tommy Rees. A worthwhile read, especially for those who are concerned.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ame-football-preview-20130825,0,7937797.story

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Chuck Martin on Ree's from Eric Hansens article.
    I really hope that by the end of the season people are talking about what a great year ND has had lead by the Sr. QB Tommy Rees. I keep thinking that when Ron Powlus went to look at him he told Weis no dice, I keep thinking that because of Dayne Crist's leg injury and Jimmy Clausen leaving early they were desperate for Tommy to enroll early and begged him to come when he wasn't really planing to enroll early. I keep thinking how after Dayne had to be removed in the Mich game due to possible concussion, that Tommy came in and threw a pick and then was benched for Joe Montana's kid. He wasn't ready to play. I think about that fade he threw for the pick that lost the game against Tulsa. I think about all the fans who cursed Tommy during the 2011 season and hoped he'd transfer. I hope Tommy gets the ultimate revenge/reward a great season leading the Irish!

Eric Hansen Article on Tommy

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I think we are all rooting hard for Rees. He has been saving us for three years in some incredibly tough situations.

4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

OK, rather than take the approach that focuses on his negatives, I'll try addressing the message this way.

Tommy Rees is very much like that gym rat point guard who is the coach's son. There's a very real chance that he knows more about our offense, than our offensive coordinator. In terms of the type of game he plays, Tommy is the type of point guard/QB who can take advantage of a lot of motion off the ball to make great passes letting everyone score while he piles up the assists. The problem is, we run an offense that requires the PG to score. We can create an optimal situation, all things considered, if the kid would just take the layups that the defense gives him. We don't need him to rush for 100 yards. What we need is for him to take the 4 to 6 yard bubble that the defense is going to give him and make that 4-6 yards. Slide.. No hero, no Tommy Frazier. Just be Tommy Rees. The SBT article with the coach covers exactly this:
    I really hope the kid makes it happen. There's no one on this team who deserves it more. There's not a single player to don the gold helmet since Kevin McDougal who deserves to have that type of year more. I really hope it happens.

None of this is the kid's fault. He was brought in as a stop gap and that's really unfair. We've been trying to bury the kid with QBs who are actually the type of QB the offense is designed for, and he just keeps fighting. I know some of you don't believe this, but I like the kid. I just refuse to overlook his limitations. If he plays within himself, we could possibly be a very good football team.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Well said, Corey. I especially appreciate the reference to McDougal. It shows you have a keen memory and a thorough understanding of the game. I've never doubted that you like him. In fact, your description of him as a gym rat not only is accurate, it makes him your kind of guy.