Notre Dame Bowl/Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the swag Brian got in his three bowl games (2 Cotton, 1 Fiesta), He gave some to me, the stuff he didn't want. I was happy to get it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

If Book stays I think Jurkovic transfers.

3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I think that's the risk any program now takes with a returning starter in the era of the transfer portal. You really can't coach your team though based on the desires of your backup QB. I mean, that's the bottom line. If he was good enough to be starting now, he would.

Additionally, from the limited views that we got, I didn't see a whole lot of difference between our #2 and #3 QBs this year. Just food for thought. I do wonder if we'll get to see him in the bowl game?

4. Tim Gentry

I saw enough of Jurkovic to know he doesn't have it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. IrishCorey

Yeah, I don't think he's there yet. That doesn't mean he won't look better next year. Remember, last near Joe Burrow just looked 'so so' in the traditional LSU offense. They brought in a new guy and he's the next Tom Brady all of a sudden. I hope PJ works out for us, and for some reason I think he will. I just don't think he's 'there' just yet.

I hope this 5 star RB that we landed leads to us landing a few more prime time burners at RB.

6. Tim Gentry

Yeah, I think we are looking good as far as getting the Shipley kid from NC in the 2021 class. He's a 5 star.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

There were lots of reports that the Washington Redskins Jet was in South Bend yesterday, of course many hoping they were there to talk Kelly into the Redskins Job. Turnsout that Dan Synders daughter attends Notre Dame. Here's an old interview of Snyder by Joe Theisman.

8. IrishCorey

That whole paragraph took me through the gauntlet of emotions, Terry :)

9. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men's Basketball had a fast finish vs IU in the Crossroads Classic this weekend. They played well till they got the lead with a minute or so to go but in the end IU pulled it out for the win. Would have been a really good win for this team. So it's on to conference play and I doubt if we'll be able to even be a good as .500 in conference play. It's possible, but right now it just doesn't seem like this team has what it takes to win enough games in the ACC. I don't know if this team is even a NIT team. But who knows it's not like we don't have any players, John Mooney is one of the best players in the ACC. But the rest of the team is still pretty young for a Brey team and the seniors in Gibbs and Pfleugger are good players but not the level of seniors that the best Brey teams have had in the past.

Irish women are also going to continue to struggle, not only are they young but they have too few players and a couple of players who have missed all the games so far this year and we don't know when they will be back and when they will be 100%. I don't know where they'll finish in the ACC or if they'll make the NCAA's or not.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I agree with your above assessment of both men's and women's BB teams. Saturday was the first time I had seen both ND and IU men's teams. I was forlorn after the first half, thinking ND sucks. By the time the game was over, I felt we are OK but still not up to top tier ACC standards. Maybe some of these younger players will improve over time to make us more competitive in the conference. I hope so.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Irish have been on site at Orlando now since Monday I think. Naturally all the word is that the team is ready to play. I hope so, Iowa State is a good football team, the Irish are favored and should win, but they will have to play well to beat Matt Campbell's squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

I'll be glad when this turkey is over. I just want to win by one point and get the heck out of there...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tim Gentry

Kelly On who will call plays on Saturday:
    "I think it's pretty obvious that Tom (Rees) is going to call the plays. I don't know if there are any secrets out there."

I think it's what we assumed but no one ever said for sure until now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tim Gentry

I would be great if Rees calls a good game. I want to believe he has it in him to do it. As a QB he was really good at reading defenses just didn't have all the physical attributes to go with it. He's got a great football mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

I hope Rees does a great job. If he does and Kelly names him the OCoord or Co-OCoord there will be a massive meltdown on ND NATION.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tim Gentry

Well ND nation has a meltdown no matter what happens as long as Kelly is HC. I’m convinced that they will never be happy with whoever the HC is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. IrishCorey

Rees: He's calling the plays but everything has to 'go through' Kelly. In other words, Kelly is the hero if we win but he leaves just a big enough hole to hang Rees if things don't work out. It's so very Kelly.

NDNation: F*** those guys. It's all I can do not to personally attack about 50 people on that board on a daily basis. Instead, I continue to quietly lurk and comment sporadically. To me, that board is the worst of the ND fan base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Sid...have you read the article on Mick Assaf on The Athletic? I like Mick now! Didn't know who the hell he was till Kelly gave him and Grunhard Scholarships on Christmas Eve.

19. Tim Gentry

I watched the USC/Iowa game last night and then listened to the comments by Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart. Those two couldn't find enough ways to throw blame at Clay Helton. They blamed the loss all on poor coaching without naming Helton directly. Look, I don't have a bone in my body that could ever find anything I like about USC(hey, I'm a ND fan) but I find that making comments like that on a national broadcast from two former big time players who are now TV analyst is not a good look and it doesn't help anything. They have both talked opening this year about replacing Helton but I just don't think it's appropriate to do so live when you are supposed to be a college football analyst on a national show.

My opinion on the game was that Iowa literally beat the hell out of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Frankly Tim, I was very surprised how Iowa dominated the game.