Notre Dame Bowl/Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

From an article on Drew Pyne who was injured (shoulder) in a playoff game recently. He was likely to be redshirted next fall any way so he has plenty of time to rehab. He's going to enroll in January so he'll have the ND Med/Training Staff to help him with any rehab whether it's from shoulder surgery or just rehab of a shoulder injury not requiring surgery. If Book returns (not sure why he wouldn't) and Jurkovec doesn't transfer then that would mean 4 QB's for the Spring when you count Clark.

Jeff Jacobs: For Pyne, New Canaan seniors, painful end to memorable era

2. Terry O'Keefe

From ISD's Matt Freeman
    Early Enrollees

QB Drew Pyne
    WR Jay Brunelle
    WR Xavier Watts
    DE Jordan Botelho
    DE Alexander Ehrensberger
    DL Rylie Mills
    CB Caleb Offord

Grad Transfer
    S Isaiah Pryor

Still waiting to confirm Landon Bartleson will enroll early, but as we stated last week, TE Michael Mayer will not be enrolling early despite other sites actively promoting him as one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

We're going to have a TE named Michael Mayer? That will be fun at Halloween...

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Can I rewrite the word “lose” now that I’ve noticed I have misspelled it.... Either way I just wish we could have avoided a bowl game, it’s been a terrible season

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

As expected, at least by me, there is starting to be a lot of chatter now that Long will be leaving for a position elsewhere. I’m not sure how I feel about him. He’s done some good things and the offense improved after he got to SB but I think he could have done more. At any rate we will be looking for a new OC. Having said that I go back to what’s I’ve already said before about getting a new O line coach. Quinn isn’t getting it done and if Kelly wants to win a N.C. while he is at ND then he needs to let Quinn go. We consistently have enough talent on the O Line that we should be a top 10 type line every year. There had to be another O line coach out there who can do better. Bringing in a new OC and line coach at the same time seems like the best thing to me. Kelly has already seen the good things that happen when he doesn’t fill coaching positions with friends but quality coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah I see that Football Scoop is reporting that Long will not return. Hopefully there isn't any fallout with recruits, some have said that Mike Mayer our TE almost 5 star (#2 rated TE) in 2020 and Cane Berrong our almost 5 star (#1 rated TE) in 2021 are big Chip Long guys. Hopefully both will stick with the Irish.

Who would replace Long, that will be the big question. I think we'll be fine if Long doesn't coach through the bowl, Kelly and Tom Rees can handle the offense. But who will coach the TE's? That was Long's position and Long himself was according to Football Scoop Long himself was an AA TE at North Alabama.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I can't imagine the online angst and outrage if Kelly names Rees as the OCoord or maybe even worse names Quinn the OCoord. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

uh oh...Prister is reporting that he expects either Tom Rees or Lance Taylor to get the OCoord job.

9. Tim Gentry

Rees isn’t ready for it

10. Tim Gentry

Taylor isn’t either. Doesn’t make any sense

11. Tim Gentry

Prister says he expects both of them will be interviewed but I Can’t imagine either as OC now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tim Gentry

Long is gone. Don't no where he is going but he's done at ND(per ISD)

13. Tim Gentry

Terry,

I keep seeing that little blurb you mentioned about Rees or Taylor being next OC and now it seems to be showing up everywhere. I don't know why Prister makes the statement the way he did but all it really says is they will probably be interviewed not that either one will be next OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tim Gentry

Looks like ND staff is going all out to get this kid:

2021 Weddington (N.C.) running back Will Shipley will play for a State Title on Saturday.

The four-star running back is Notre Dame's No. 1 target at the position in 2021 and there is little doubt Shipley has felt the love from running backs coach Lance Taylor.

Taylor was at Shipley's playoff game on Friday and then made his way back down on Wednesday of this week to check on the prize recruit.

While the two can't have a conversation in person, the effort is paying off for Taylor and the Irish.

"It means a lot he would come to see two weeks in a row," said Shipley. "Our relationship has grown way stronger."

That said, Taylor isn't the only one who has been working on Shipley. The 2021 Notre Dame commits have made it a priority to recruit Shipley and it's led by the big man Blake Fisher, who wants Shipley running behind him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

I guess the only thing up in the air regarding recruiting is the CB from California, Ramon Henderson. He's still thought to be headed to ND, but he want's the big reveal on signing day. So we won't know till Wed Afternoon if he's actually coming or not. Doesn't seem like the departure of Chip Long has caused any offensive recruits to rethink their ND verbal. But we'll know on Dec 18th.

All the real news is on filling up the 2021 class which is off to a very good start and getting going on 2022.

Irish Men's Basketball beat UCLA this weekend. Neither team is especially good so while it was a good win for the Irish and Bill Walton and Digger Phelps did the color for the game. And a lot was made of the 1974 Irish upset of the Bruins ending their 88 game winning streak. Next game is IU this coming Saturday, if we could pull off an upset there now that would be a big win. I believe Tim Gentry will be rooting for IU though! :eek:

Shane Crawford is reportedly going to apply for a 6th year, he's oft injured and has missed a lot in his career. Lot of talent as a young player but the injuries really impacted him. Might have been a guy who'd be going to the NFL this year, but that history (worse than Drue Tranquil) likely means he'll be using his ND degree. If anybody deserves a 6th year it's Shane. He'll be a big help next year if he's back. CB is very thin position and young as well.

No names have leaked as to who Kelly might be considering for the OCoord position, beyond Tom Rees. Kelly had a press conference the other day and he talked quite a big about Long leaving and what he's going to do, said it was in the Best Interests of the Program, and also said he is absolutely not going to get back into Play Calling, that'll be Rees for the Bowl game. Said he's ready to make the tough choices for the program, which a lot of people wonder if he'll part ways with Quinn after the Bowl game or if he'll actually go out of the program (ie not move Tom Rees into OCoord) for a new OCoord.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Oh and it's being reported that Cole Kmet was evaluated as the #1 TE in the upcoming NFL draft, they didn't say he was going to be a 1st round draft pick though. TE's aren't that common in the 1st round. He's said though that he's coming back so he can play baseball this Spring. The timing of the combine and training for the combine conflict with playing baseball though, so maybe he'll play football again in the fall. He has till Jan 20th to declare for the NFL draft, if he doesn't then it's likely he's playing football.

His younger brother is a freshman on the Baseball Team.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish LS John Shannon won the inaugural Long Snapper of the Year award...named the Patrick Mannelly Award, who was a Long Snapper in college and for years with the Bears. His brother Bernard played for the the Irish and was on the 88 Nat'l Championship Team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

"TE's aren't that common in the 1st round."
    The Detroit Lions have used their first round pick on TEs twice in the past 5 years. That's one of the reasons why they consistently suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

From Irish Illustrated ..

Notre Dame has 17 commits from the class of 2020 and as we've been reporting at Irish Illustrated, all are expected to ink early on Wednesday, day one of three doing the Early Signing Period.

The Fighting Irish are expecting some good news that day as well from a talented two-way standout. ( ie Ramon Henderson)

Of course when Long was let go it was natural to wonder if some players might reconsider, esp worried about TE Mike Mayer who reportedly really was high on Long. But unlike Texas who lost 4 or 5 kids when Herman fired Todd Orlando and a couple of assistants along with the demotion of Tim Beck the OCoord.

So it was a good thing for the Irish to have everybody say we're staying.

20. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Agreed, Corey. ISU was the least preferred matchup for WSU last year specifically because of how much above their weight they can punch. They are a well-coached team, have some talent in key places, and never quit. I counted us lucky to win the Alamo Bowl last year against them. They bring the fans, and it was a great time (thank you again Scott!!) but it won't be an easy game. Then, assuming ND does win, there will be no accolades because that's what you should have done.

• Agree Agree x 2