Notre Dame Bowl/Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish Women had another rough outing at Syracuse yesterday. The team is just too young and too thin.
    I think everybody thought that this year would not be the type of year we are used to having with Coach McGraw. But nobody saw this coming, we're 6-9 and Coach is very frustrated. I see that she declined to be interviewed by Syracuse.com after the loss yesterday and I think she didn't do a post game press conference either. I don't watch the Press conferences, but a lot of comments have been made about them being pretty tough to watch, Coach's frustrations are showing.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Something we expect to continue in 2020, a Kyle Hamilton pick.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Well Phil Jurkovec is gone, he entered the Portal. Everybody had such high hopes for him, not sure what went wrong, but wish him good fortune. None of us really got to see him, the Spring game last year was the most we've seen of him and he wasn't impressive then, his few plays this year you couldn't tell anything because it was always in mop up duty.

I'm not esp worried as Brendan Clark and Drew Pyne should be good as the QB2. Pyne has been getting raves from the gurus who watched him at the All-American game. Heady player, and Clark has reportedly impressed the staff with his play in practice. Then in 2021 the Tyler Buchner arrives from California, and he's one of those 5 star types. So even if Phil stayed this year, there was no guarantee that he would be the starter in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Terry,
    Can’t say I didn’t expect this. Hope it all works out for the best for Jurkovec. One good thing that we already discussed is it gives the other QBs a chance to get significant snaps in spring. We are in good shape with what we have and coming as far as the position is concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I take it as an admission by him that he can't beat Book out and he's not confident he can hold off Buchner. At least he won't be using important reps in spring practice and then bolting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Gip,

That's how I took it, as well. I noticed that the facebook groups were losing their minds, and there was a lot of hand wringing by the very large ND-PA based fan contingent, but I just didn't see it. I wish the kid well, but I think this is him saying that in this current circumstance, there's no way he can beat out Book and probably couldn't hold off what was coming in. We'll see where he lands though. I saw some comments that I thought were crazy (Oklahoma etc). I guess we'll see in the long run though.

7. Tim Gentry

Let me guess, NDNation isn’t happy? They wouldn’t be happy if he stayed either. Either way, it’s Kelly’s fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IrishCorey

I just popped over to NDN and there's a mixture of meltdown and realism. That's a remarkable step forward for the 'ass clown posse.'

9. Terry O'Keefe

10. IrishCorey

Yeah, I just don't buy into the grand conspiracy that Kelly kept PJ down so that he could prop Book up at all costs. Kelly is a bigger whore than that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tim Gentry

I read the article but I just never saw the things in Jurkovec that suggested he was going to be a good starting QB. I realized we didn't really see much at all of him in action but still the practice reports were not good and his spring game performance wasn't all that good to me. What very little at all we saw of Brendon Clark I liked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Reading Pete Sampsons article on The Athletic about Phil one interesting tidbit that is telling about QB's in the transfer era... Phil was the #4 Dual Threat QB in his class of the top 6 guys in that category, with Phil that will be 4 of the 6 transfering from their original school.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Seems like hardly any of the highly rated QB's want to sit on the bench and pay their dues anymore!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tim Gentry

OT but, Kiffin and Leach both in the SEC west???? This should be fun to watch for the next couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The state of Mississippi just became the stage at the Improv!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Tom Loy wrote and article on Irish Illustrated where he made a really good case for Joe Moorhead as the next OCoord. If that's to happen Kelly might have to move a bit faster as reportedly Oregon is interested in him as an OCoord. He also said he really felt that Tom Rees could do the job but that right now Joe would be a home run hire. He commented that Phil Jurkovec is exactly the type of QB that he would love to get his hands on, and that if he came sometime soon he might try hard to get Phil to stay.

He also had an opinion on the replacement for Todd Lyght. He really likes Christian Parker who is with the Packers is a defensive quality control coach with the Packers, has a history with Lea and Elko, he was at ND with them and then followed Elko to A&M. He also likes Daronte Jones who was with the Bengals this year and has been with the Dolphins, Wisconsin and UCLA. I've heard that DB is likely to be filled before the OCoord position.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tim Gentry

Joe Moorhead seems like it would be a good fit.

18. IrishCorey

I wonder about that guy. ND has been burned before hiring an OC who had 'super star' players at their old job, but somehow couldn't generate the same offense at ND despite the talent there. There's no denying he got production out of Barkely and that QB... but how much of that was the two of them and how much was the offense? ND does have a great RB coming in though. I guess we'll see.

There's a rumor that Oregon is after him, but Oregon's offense has been mostly ground and pound while using their athletes to break big plays. That doesn't see like Moorhead's offense.

19. Tim Gentry

Interesting stuff from ISD:
    "
    After confirming with multiple sources, ISD can report Notre Dame quarterbacks coach Tommy Rees interviewed for the Oregon offensive coordinator job earlier this week.

As other outlets have reported, former Mississippi State head coach Joe Moorhead also interviewed this week for the Oregon opening.

However, multiple sources also felt a third candidate could be the favorite in Eugene, Will Hall, who is Tulane's offensive coordinator.

ISD expert Jamie Uyeyama thinks Hall would be an intriguing hire for the Ducks.

“Tulane’s offense is fun,” he said. “Should be a good fit in the PAC-12.”

While a separate source said Hall and Cristobal “shared a lot of similar philosophies.”

When it comes to Notre Dame, we can also report Brian Kelly definitely has Moorhead on his list of candidates to replace Chip Long, who was fired in December".

20. Tim Gentry

Jurkovec to Fredo

• Agree Agree x 1