NIL Stuff

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by BuckeyeT, Sep 20, 2023.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I'm not certain about the rest of you but I'm of the view that there is pressing need for NIL legislation at a national level. I think we've all heard the stories of what happens when we get the quilt-like, patch work approach to regulation at the state level. Apparently there are House committee hearings taking place in DC. Our AD testified and has what I believe to be a sound approach. I guess I was unaware of the practice but I guess it's only natural for top-tier recruits to now ask for cash$$ to just come for a visit! What an f'n mess....

“For example, student-athletes and their parents visit campuses at the expense of those universities to evaluate where they may make a commitment. A practice of asking a school for a fee to simply visit campus has emerged; asking for $5,000 just to visit has become common,”

Gene Smith Testifies in Favor of Federal NIL Legislation, Says Recruits “Asking for $5,000 Just to Visit Has Become Common”

2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I think there needs to be rules, but I fail to see how our bumbling legislators are going to get this right.
    Any limits on the players would seem to fly in the face of the court case that started all this in the first place...

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I hear ya Scott and don't disagree, but I'm supportive of any effort to help bring a uniform set of rules and some semblance of rational behavior to this circus. I'm even ready to ask the clowns for help

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Trying to close the barn door after the horses have escaped seems unlikely. I think agents and union representation are right around the bend.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Maybe growing old is this answer to this problem?;) I really do wonder what lies ahead. Some days I try to avoid thinking too much!o_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

The NIL stuff is definitely a big concern but what bothers me more is the transfer portal. I’m seeing players who have transferred 3 times!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

They are probably related. Some players may be transferring because of NIL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

i have no doubt that there is some level of tampering with players in regards to NIL/Portal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Follow up on BuckeyeT's original post from another board.

OSU AD (and ND alum) Gene Smith testified before Congress Sept 20 and said not unusual for recruits to ask for $5,000 just to visit. The transcript of Smith's testimony also interesting because he provides details of NIL deals for OSU student athletes.

Jaime Franklin, Penn St coach, recently said that top QB recruits expect assurance of at least $2 million in NIL deals and edge rushers at least $1 million.

Maybe all this is "old" news but obviously is relevant to ND's ability to compete in current NIL world.

Separately, IRS Chief Counsel issued a memo last spring saying non-profit NIL collectives were not tax exempt because benefits they provided college athletes did not further a tax-exempt purpose. Effectively, IRS is saying these collectives are a "ruse," set up by a college's supporters to funnel money to recruits.

Since issuance of that IRS memo last May many collectives have switched to limited liability companies (LLC's). But IRS could challenge expense deductibility of some of these for-profit companies if they don't have reasonable profit expectations. (I.e., if NIL payouts to athletes are consistently higher than income generated by the LLC.) But that is another issue, albeit one that is relevant to ND's ability to compete in NIL world of college football.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Saban said he didn't know of any recruits asking for money just for a visit to Alabama. Also, I was wondering how the IRS was going to get involved in this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that as well Kp. Maybe the parents SS Numbers?:rolleyes:

13. Terry O'Keefe

Since the money is going to the kids, it's got to be the kids SSN and I would think that the kid would get a 1099

14. Terry O'Keefe

It was last year but one of the Irish recruiting guru's reported that some of the kids who were seemingly taking a lot of unofficial visits were getting paid to take the visits.

15. Terry O'Keefe

PJ Fleck states the obvious. Coach K commented on it's effect on basketball at the Mid Major level where kids who develop and have good 1st and/or 2nd years are moving up to Power 5 programs where there is some NIL money for them.

P.J. Fleck says Gophers need more NIL money or they'll become 'a Triple-A ball club for somebody else'
    The Gophers football team has lost some transfers that coach P.J. Fleck said came down to name, image and likeness (NIL) money, where "we didn't pay him enough."

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck makes plea for donors to send more NIL money

16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

No surprise there. It'll get worse, and I doubt it gets better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The perversion of college sports is growing by the day. The student athlete image has gone the way of the dinosaur. It's impossible to look at this the same way you did even 20 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2