Need some explanations......

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Motorcity Gator, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

It's not reasonably human to expect that even 500 people nationally could get sick from having to vote in person on Nov. 3rd.... with 100 of those hospitalized and 30 of those dying just to exercise their right to vote for President. But when you listen to Trump he would have it that way..... and he says it not with real conviction about fraud.... but with a tinge of malice and contempt for those democratic voters who would stay home and not vote. Frankly his attitude on it is disgusting and immoral.
    In-person voting in Wisconsin linked to spike in COVID-19 cases: study

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I try not to follow your thoughts Dave, but I do know in general you are against all of the opening up of the country that has been going on starting in Georgia. Are you of the opinion that if it's not safe to vote in person, that restaurants and businesses should also have been continued to be shutdown till some time in 2021?

BtW I've been seeing patients since May 11th for routine dental procedures, pray for me! I absolutely would have gone bankrupt if I'd remained shutdown till say August or Sept, and it's still going to be touch and go with all the additional costs I've incurred and the way things have to be done now I can not see the same number of patients I once did, down 30% at best. Again pray for me. Oh yeah I'm in the high risk category being in my 70's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Stu I'd agree that it's doable and we should be working on the best plans we can to make it happen.

That said, it's going to be fraught with problems, hopefully small ones. Every election has them, people thought computers would eliminate them, till computer glitches happened and then people thought we needed to go back to tried and true paper ballots like no problems ever existed with those.

Plan now for the worst and be ready. We absolutely have to be able to vote in Nov and with a system that is as good as we can get. If things change and polls can be safely opened that should be done.

5. Motorcity Gator

I'm not for shut down Terry... I'm for moral responsibility to do your best to keep everyone safe and reopen at the right times and when the chance for success is at least good.
    People have a choice if they go to a restaurant or a movie but if they cannot vote by mail then they have no choice but to risk their safety voting in person on election day due to callous malicious partisan politics..... led by the president himself.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Dave you do know that the President has no input into how the states run the election on Nov 3rd. It's 100% up to each individual state. DJT can say all he wants but it's the State Govt elected by the people of the state that sets the rule for voting.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Also Dave it seems that you have been incensed with states opening up, which leads me to believe you do want things to continue to be shutdown. You seem to be incensed that those choices would lead to more cases and deaths. So it doesn't seem like you are ok with people having a choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Motorcity Gator

I haven't been incensed Terry with people having a choice and knowing full well the potential consequences if they make them.... and if the rates of infection go up those consequences include endangering the health care front line workers who have to take care of the careless.
    Otherwise we have to move forward... have to break out of this.... just have to see it done responsibly and not as a partisan act of defiance egged on by DJT..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Motorcity Gator

Here's the kind of leadership we need and a good example of acting responsibly in a comeback:
    Ford forced to halt production at two plants after employees test positive for Covid-19 - CNN

Also.... university presidents.... being the educated smart people they are have been discussing having students back in the fall but with no students back on campus after Thanksgiving.

Those are great examples of thought, care and leadership being shown in our reopening as a nation.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Stu Ryckman

Only thing that bugs me is folks who take everything they agree with as great examples of thought, care, and leadership...while considering any other thoughtful counter point as partisan acts of defiance egged on by DJT...

All I'm tryin' to say is that you might be a little more receptive and respectful towards others' opinions. Actually we all might try to be...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  11. Motorcity Gator

Well notice Stu that there is nothing partisan in the examples I gave... no crowing about freedom and rights and how the other party is against those things.... etc. etc.

It's just common sense practical actions for a safe return to normal in the face of the pandemic.....

Sometimes I feel that you guys on here really turn a deaf ear to what comes out of that guy's mouth or his incessant tweets. But actually that has been mystifying to me anyway because of otherwise smart people that I know who support him with the same blind loyalty no matter what he says or how he says it. It's pretty incredible actually.....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  12. Stu Ryckman

Y'see...if we disagree with you about something we have a blind loyalty to any stupid tweet that comes out...sorry, doesn't work that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Motorcity Gator

Stu I rarely hear from any of you about specific things Trump has said or done that you disagree with.
    Usually I get the skewed Fox News opinions of why what he says is right and factual.... even though many times it is not.
    And that's the incredible part because he is so not credible so often.

14. Stu Ryckman

I rarely hear from you about all the lies on CNN and MSNBC...I just don't comment on them nor do I blame them on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Motorcity Gator

Stu it's a case of he said --- she said.
    CNN has a daily list of things that Trump says that aren't true and Fox News has daily news segments or what have you that suck up to whatever tall tale Trump is telling.
    I guess that is the political division problem we have.... people believe what they want to believe.
    So when Trump arbitrarily takes hydroxychloriquine most people think that it borders on lunacy whereas his ardent supporters run to the drugstore to get some for themselves.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Dave did you see that Oxford is doing an extensive study now on Hydroxychloroquine, what Trump said he was taking. So I guess not all the experts have written it off except you.

Hydroxychloroquine trial begins as UK bulk-buys drug taken by Trump

17. Terry O'Keefe

Oh yeah and I see that they are doing a similar trial in Tampa. But those are Fla MD's and researchers so they likely voted for Trump and aren't really credible.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Stu Ryckman

Majority of MD's feel that Hydroxychloroquine might be of help...but they're probably all deluded Trumpsters.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Motorcity Gator

One can only hope that the medical studies done so far of the drug were wrong and Trump is right.
    So Stu.... if you were to poll all of the MDs in America the majority would say that Trump is on the right track by taking the drug and that most Americans should do the same? Is that a poll that came out that I missed?

20. Terry O'Keefe

Not a good try Dave. The key factor is that researchers haven't written the drug off just because Trump was pushing it. They are actually doing studies like the one I posted earlier at that backwater University in the UK called Oxford. You being lead by all the media reports that bashed Trump over it's use, of course can't see that.

You of course will ignore this guy because he's not certified by MSNBC or CNN and we don't know if he supports Biden.

The trial, led by the University of Oxford with the support of the Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit (MORU) in Bangkok, will open to British participants at hospital sites in Brighton and Oxford on Thursday and involve those who are in close contact with patients with proven or suspected COVID-19.

"We really do not know if chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine are beneficial or harmful against COVID-19," said the University of Oxford's Professor Nicholas White, the study's co-principal investigator, who is based at MORU.

"The best way to find out if they are effective in preventing COVID-19 is in a randomised clinical trial."