ND

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tim Gentry, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Little more on Carmody,

Carmody chose Notre Dame over offers from schools like Michigan, Penn State and Texas A&M among several others. All of the other serious contenders had already offered by the time Notre Dame did so on May 5th, but Carmody seemed more excited about the offer than worried about the timing of it.

Looks like a good one.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I think everybody is excited about both the OL's they got in this class. Tosh Baker and Carmody both have a lot of upside. I hope they are able to redshirt as frosh and get stronger. I'm reading that we are just going to take these 2 guys on the OL for 2020, I was hoping they would take 3 but I think they are going to be tight numbers wise and feel they have other needs and that the 2021 OL class nationally is a really good one and they will load up in 2021. I just worry about guys not panning out, guys getting homesick, and guys not wanting to wait their turn and transfer, not to mention injuries.

I see that Darnell Ewell has been placed on Medical Hardship and his career as a ND football player is over, he'll finish his degree though. Sorry to hear about that, he didn't have a great career and likely wouldn't have contributed much in 2019 but still I'm sure he's disappointed.

I have to wonder whether or not Trevor Ruhland will be able to play this fall, he didn't play in the Spring and that gave Jarrett Patterson the opportunity to take that #1 slot at Center. Rhuland is a bit undersized as an OL and right now I'm not sure even if healthy he would crack the starting lineup as a 5th year senior. Won't matter if he doesn't get healthy, but if he does and feels buried on the depth chart and really wants to play he could be a late transfer. Zeke Correll and Josh Lugg both worked at Center this Spring and Colin Grunhard (Tim's son) is reportedly a good player even though he's a walkon.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Poster over on ND Nation had this list of potential candidates for the ND baseball job. I don't know anything about any of them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Just an unsolicited opinion, which my Dad always said is never welcomed.:) I think Mik Aoki is a good coach. He just wasn't good for ND, which happens. I hope he lands on his feet at Rutgers or some other northern program whose expectations aren't quite as high as ours.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Irish add another 2021 kid in 4 star Georgia TE Cane Berrong.

6. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

7. Tim Gentry

Terry, this one kinda caught me by surprise, especially given where he lives. the 2021 recruiting class is definitely on a roll!

No surprise here — the nation's No. 1 class of 2021 tight end is headed to South Bend to play for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Hartwell (Ga.) Hart County four-star tight end Cane Berrong, the No. 61 overall player in the country from the 2021 class, has committed to Notre Dame. The 6-5, 220-pounder chose the Fighting Irish over scholarship offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State and many others across the country.

8. Terry O'Keefe

2020 CB from Kentucky a 3 star athlete gave the Irish his verbal. Landen Bartelson. He's played more RB in HS but Coach Clark Lea and the Irish staff see him as a CB in college. He's from Danville Kentucky.

Things shaping up nicely for the Irish at DB, still need some more to come on board but things are trending well. He's the 14th verbal and it's projected that we'll take around 22 so not a lot of spots left for the Irish.

9. Terry O'Keefe

247Sports National Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong

“New Notre Dame commit Landen Bartleson is a two-way standout on the prep level for Boyle County High team that went 13-1 last fall, but projects as a defensive back for the Irish with a skill set to play cornerback and safety on the next level. A physical football player with solid 4.6 speed at this point, as he gets stronger you would think he gets faster at the same time. Bartleson has the frame you want in the secondary, broad and long, he’s got good feet, balance and body control, there is a physical nature to his game on offense where he also shows strong ball skills, the ability to high point the ball but also make acrobatic diving grabs. There is explosiveness to him with his 35-inch plus vertical. Bartleson is a developmental guy with an intriguing ceiling.”

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

We don't really talk about ND softball very much if at all, but it's hard not to notice that incoming freshman Joley Mitchell of Rosebud Ark, was named USAToday HS Player of the Year and 1st team AA. ND softball has been a good but not great program, maybe things are on an uptick. Last year they added Craig Biggio's daughter Quinn who was a terrific player in the Houston area. They made the NCAA's.

Incoming Freshman Mitchell Tabbed HS Player of the Year - UND Athletics

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: her career stats.....WOW!

13. Terry O'Keefe

Well crap, Aaron Banks had foot surgery this week. Won't miss the season but will miss a big part of August camp and maybe a few games.

14. Terry O'Keefe

ND picked up a WR in Jay Brunelle from Shrewsbury MA, St. Johns. Most people I read really like this kid. We did lose out on another kid named Henning to Michigan, he was a top target for the Irish but Harbaugh beat us on that one.

15. Tim Gentry

The staff seemed to really like this kid after his visit.

16. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

I really like this kid Jay Brunelle.

• Like Like x 1
  17. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

It looks like he's not going to break any ankles, but he wins the battle for the ball and looks like the perfect kind of guy you need to throw to over the middle of the field to get those essential tough yards.

18. Tim Gentry

more of the same...Claypool and Boykin. Great!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men's Basketball picks up a transfer from Stanford, Cormac Ryan, he was a freshman last season and battle through a lot of injuries . He'll sit out 2019/20 and have 3 years left to play.

20. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

I searched the internet trying to find a more Irish name than Cormac Ryan, but I couldn't.
    "Cormac Ryan" is as Irish as Paddy's Pig...

• Like Like x 2