ND

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tim Gentry, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Corey, I see where Larry Johnson is being mentioned in this also, while he was at Penn State, which he denies! (2009)

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Mention of ND, Penn State, Michigan, Pitt, Northwestern, Alabama and UNC. Only 2 kids were named one from Penn State and one from UNC. We'll have to wait and see if more details come out.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

"Rightfully so. This isn't the GD SEC."

So let's see how this goes, but if it is true and it was Notre Dame employees, and it was Alabama employees then it is exactly the same as the SEC.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

hahahaha.

Difference being, historically speaking, we don't refer to them as 'legends' :)

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, that's true. We should probably just pretend we are above all of this.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Well I'm not going to bother to point fingers elsewhere, my teams (ND and Texas) have enough of their own issues to worry about or complain about other teams problems. Irish and Texas were named early on in the FBI basketball scandal, but nothing since then has come out and we'll have to wait and see about this particular issue as nobody has yet pointed to a player(s) for us. But it's no secret anymore that kids and their parents have their hands out for money and somebody (shoe companies/agents) is going to give them some sugar.

I wonder if we just need to change the rules and if somebody wants to pay your kid to endorse a shoe, a auto dealership, a home repair service, whatever that they can do it and still be eligible for college sports. Might solve a lot of these under the table issues that aren't going away. I firmly believe it's the parents who are driving this bus, not really the kids. Somebody said on another board that the youth/AAU basketball scene in So.Calif is so corrupt that 6th graders are getting under the table money.

7. Terry O'Keefe

But back to ND football, Irish picked up a verbal from the "reported" #1 Long snapper in the country in Alex Peitsch from St. John's College Prep in D.C. Not a sexy signing, and it's a position that nobody notices until there is a bad snap. So I'm glad we got him! My biggest worry though about the Irish kicking game this fall is the incumbent place kicker, Jonathan Doer, was inconsistent on kickoffs last year and has a hook on his kicks and the new punter who will be a true freshman wasn't very impressive in the Spring game. Rumors are that there are a couple of punters and kickers in the Portal that we might be looking at, but unless their grad transfers they won't help us in 2019.

8. Terry O'Keefe

NFL draft starts tonight, and Jerry Tillery is our only hope for a 1st round pick. If he does get picked he'll be the 1st defensive player we've had picked in the 1st round since Harrison Smith in 2005, before that it was Reynaldo Wynn in 1997. Defense wins championships, it's been our achilles heel, we've had a lot of teams where the offense was probably good enough, but the defense wasn't. Alabama and Clemson both usually have at least 1 if not more defensive players taken in the 1st round.

9. Don Ballard

Generally, I do not watch the NFL Draft, but tonight will be an exception for me. I am really very curious where Dwayne Haskins will be drafted.:)

10. Terry O'Keefe

Haskins seems like the prototype for an NFL QB. He has size and arm strength, he's not mobile like Deshaun Watson but that shouldn't make any difference. He'll go high in the 1st round.

11. IrishCorey

the draft is fun. I always enjoy watching the misery of the Jets fans. (because they are gonna screw it up) It'll be in Nashville this year so there should be a real party like environment around the event. I see Tillery dropped a 31 on the Wonderlic while a few other marquis names had pathetically low scores..

12. Terry O'Keefe

2021 schedule has firmed up.

date Opponent Venue
    Sept. 6 at Florida State Doak Campbell Stadium
    Sept. 11 Toledo Notre Dame Stadium
    Sept. 18 Purdue Notre Dame Stadium
    Sept. 25 Wisconsin Soldier Field
    Oct. 2 Cincinnati Notre Dame Stadium
    Oct. 9 at Virginia Tech Lane Stadium
    Oct. 16 Bye
    Oct. 23 USC Notre Dame Stadium
    Oct. 30 North Carolina Notre Dame Stadium
    Nov. 6 Navy Notre Dame Stadium
    Nov. 13 at Virginia Scott Stadium
    Nov. 20 Georgia Tech Notre Dame Stadium
    Nov. 27 at Stanford Stanford Stadium

Purdue back on the schedule, I think I read that we're going to be playing them 6 times over the next 8-10 years. The 2 game series with Wisconsin starts with the game at Soldier Field and then we play them at Lambeau. Should be a great series!

13. IrishCorey

that's a good looking schedule and teams like Virginia are on the rise, while GTech will remain a mystery until we see what they do here in te future.

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Hoping to make that Cinn. game. If things go the way I hope they will, my grandson Patrick will be a senior at Cinn. while his sister will be a freshman at ND.

15. Terry O'Keefe

lacrosse beat Duke in the ACC semifinals and now face UVA for the ACC title this coming Sat.
    Baseball is still under .500, Softball is doing pretty well and one of the better ACC teams.

Jessica Harris ran the best 1500m time of the year in the NCAA this past week.

Men's basketball lost DJ Harvey a starter to the transfer portal. We are pretty darn thin right now. Need some transfers who can play right away.

Women's basketball also lost a player to the transfer portal, Danielle Patterson from NYC, she was named the most improved player at the banquet and a couple of days later she transfers. The ladies are also thin on numbers for next year as well. Young and thin.

I do wonder if the baseball coach Mik Aoki will be back next year. Online fans got tired of him several years ago, few thought he'd be back this year.

16. IrishCorey

I'm available. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. IrishCorey

Gimme 1 year and we'll make the NCAA regionals. Gimme 3 and I'll win the ACC and go to the College World Series. I'll take a year to year contract. What do you have to lose? :) At every level, at every stop, I've done it. Roll the dice Jack!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don Ballard

Might as well go for it Corey!;)

19. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Looks like everybody wanted this big man but...he’s Irish. Notre Dame made a major splash on the recruiting trail today when Lake Forest (Ill.) high school four-star defensive lineman Rylie Mills committed to the Fighting Irish.

The 6-5, 275-pounder chose Notre Dame over scholarship offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Wisconsin, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Penn State, and many others.

• Like Like x 2
  20. IrishCorey

You can never have enough 6'5" 275lbers laying around in the program :)