ND

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tim Gentry, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

With a 5-4 conference record, the Irish baseball team is tied for 4th in the ACC with FSU, Ga. Tech, and Virginia.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Cole Kmet will not be playing baseball for awhile, he's reporting he has a minor arm/elbow injury and will focus only on football for the rest of the Spring.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women up big at half on MSU.
    52 - 26.

Irish add one of kp's boys to the Athletic Department in Mario Morris a member of the 1972 Tide National Championship team. He's going to head up the Financial end of things. He comes from Wisconsin where he was CFO of the Athletic Department. Oh yeah and he's from Decatur .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women win big tonight, next up are the Aggies in Chicago

5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Terry,
    That game was over after the first qtr!

6. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah they finished it on a run, MSU just didn't have the talent to keen up. I didn't know you watched women's basketball Tim. ;)

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

2021 IMG Academy (Fla.) offensive lineman Greg Crippen‍ has committed to Notre Dame following a visit to South Bend last week.

Notre Dame offered Crippen during the visit and it was clearly a significant one.

“I am an offensive lineman and this is Notre Dame,” he said. “Nothing better than that.”
    Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Good news Tim ! Unexpected since he is a 2021 kid. I hope we can get some or all of our top target's on the OL for 2020 soon!

9. Terry O'Keefe

Be curious what Corey and JO'Co think of the pitch counts for Cole Kmet leading up to his having to sit down for the rest of the season due to elbow issues?

look at his stats and number of pitches per game:

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Why are you asking?

11. Terry O'Keefe

That 104 number sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm wondering how a guy whose pitch count is between 10 and 40 suddenly is asked to throw 104 pitches without some consequences. Don't they have to "stretch" out a pitcher to take him from being a reliever to a starter throwing a 104 pitches?

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

I don't understand that 104 either.

13. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

how often did he throw? The 104 is a mystery.

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

IMG has always struck me as fishy. I mean, a school financed by IMG and their reps, what could possibly go wrong?

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I agree. It should be amazing that the NCAA allows them to operate...but it's not.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, IMG is available for all sports of all ages. I know a Bosnian family whose now-13 yr. old son is an especially talented soccer player. They were planning to pull up stakes and move to FL so he could attend IMG Academy and play soccer. Unfortunately - long story short - the dad, age 41, was diagnosed with cancer and died 8 months later. The move never happened, but this is an example of kids in other sports whose parents see IMG as a path to bigger things. They could have afforded the move and the unbelievably steep cost of enrollment, but I'm guessing the school makes scholarships available to kids whose parents can't afford the tuition and R&B.

18. Terry O'Keefe

1. NCAA really has nothing to do with IMG or anything regarding HS sports. So they can't make them legal or illegal, they are what they are. There a number of basketball schools around the country that recruit nationally to build national teams. La Luminere in Indiana is one, Mouth of Wilson has been around a long time, there is one in Ohio that one of Lonzo Ball's brothers attended this year, but there are others. Bottom line is that players there have to meet the same NCAA guidelines for eligibility as anyone, courses and test scores. If they do that then recruiting nationally, being private, focusing the school around your athletic schedule rather than the reverse is not their problem. They are roundly hated by HS coaches though as you might imagine. Kellen Mond was all set to be the bell cow of his San Antonio HS when he out of the blue decided to go to IMG, I imagine that all of the teams that the IMG kids played for feel some anger for the kids they they developed and were hoping to have play for them as JR's and SR's...leave for IMG.

ND women play Stanford tonight for the right to go to the Final Four. Stanford beat cinderella Missouri State this weekend, while the Irish played a very tough competitive game with Texas A&M. Chennedy Carter is quite a player that's for sure. I'm more than a little concerned that Marina Mabry is not 100% and won't be for this tournament. She's barely scored a few points so far and she's the leading 3 point shooter in ND history. But she's dealing with some knee/leg injury that is hindering her right now. We are some what of an Iron 5 as a team, our bench rarely contributes much in the big games. A healthy Marina Mabrey is key for a repeat. Win tonight and we play UConn.

ND Hockey played an exciting game vs Clarkson on Friday night but then UMass on Sat night was too much for them. Still B10 Tourney Champions, 2nd Place in the Big 10 regular season, overall I think most feel like it was a good season even though we don't make the Frozen Four Final. Last year Ohio State, Mich and Notre Dame made the Final Four along with Minn Duluth (who won), this year no Big 10 Hockey in the Frozen Four Final. Denver, Providence, Minn Duluth, and UMass are the Final Four.

ND Spring Football rolls along, I don't pay really close attention, but seems like Book is a solid #1 at QB, that they are working hard to figure out the LB situation and that the OL seems to be coming together nicely while nobody is saying there will be a McGlinchy/Nelson group the reports are good esp on Hainsey, Eichenberg and Aaron Banks, the kid at center Jarrett Patterson seems to be doing well. Lot's of good comments on Tony Jones Jr and Jafar Armstrong's development at RB. Like I said it's Spring and there always seem to be lots of optimism and praise going around. We'll have to wait and see what happens when we tee it up next fall though.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, the NCAA has a lot to do with high school scholastics. Contact with college recruiters and amateurism. There have been many stories of kids not having approved HS courses and not being academically eligible per the NCAA. IMG apparently has a model program. They run a sports oriented boarding high school without a hint of impropriety. Hell, they let Michigan conduct its spring training there, it must be okay.

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

One more piece of info on IMG, something most of you may know but I just learned. My close friend here who lives in Zionsville, an Indy suburban community, knows a family whose kid is in 8th grade and will be going to HS at IMG to play baseball. What stunned me is that the cost to his parents for tuition, room, and board is $78,000/year.