ND Football Off Season Conversation

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sid, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Tim. LOL!

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Nice win last night for the Irish Men on Senior Night vs Boston College. Place was packed and it was a tight game for most of the 1st half, but we got the lead before half time and extended it through out the 2nd half for an easy win.

With the loss by Louisville to Wake Forrest, we're in a pretty good place with regard to getting the double bye in the ACC tournament.

3. Terry O'Keefe

I have to add that it's really fun to watch Bonzie Colson play. He really scraps for everything and even though he's only 6'5" and every game is going against guys who are 6'8" or taller he is able to compete with them.

He's going to lead the ACC in rebounding, at 6'5"..think about that. I think he averages a double/double this year. He likely won't win ACC player of the year, but he's in the conversation. If he's not 1st team all ACC it's a travesty.

The other guys are a little streakier...Farrell, Vasturia, Beachem...can be on and fill it up from 3pt land or clank, clank, clank. This team is the best free throw shooting team in college I believe or one of the top 3..anyway you can't beat us by fouling us at the end of games.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I agree on all points.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Irish schedule for 2018 and 2019 are out. Game times for 2017 are out, not all of them but most of them.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030217aad.html

In 2019 we go to Ann Arbor for Mich on Oct 26th. I'm a little surprised that they would agree to play us in the middle of the B1G schedule.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Women beat Louisville. Men lose. When the Louisville defense is clicking, they're very tough on teams like ND who doesn't have a strong inside presence. We played well but couldn't close against their hot shooting.

Men's Lacrosse beats no. 1 Maryland 5-4.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Got to listen to the most of the 2nd half of the men's game with Louisville on the way home from golf, sounded like we just couldn't overcome the advantage Louisville had on us inside, they kept getting put backs of missed shots. We didn't shoot the ball all that well either, but they sure did. We were in it till the last few minutes. I expected to lose at Louisville to tell you the truth, we played almost most well enough to win but we didn't.

Still ended up with the double bye due to the Duke loss to UNC, but there is a dark lining to that cloud...UVA. We've never beaten them in ACC play. I hate to be one and done in the ACC tourney. I'd like to win at least one game, but we'll have to solve the UVA defense and shoot the ball very well in Brooklyn to beat them.

The women from what I read cruised in the 2nd half vs Louisville and face Duke for the ACC tournament crown. We should win, and lock up a #1 seed in the NCAA's, but you still have to play the game and Duke has a lot of good players. So we'll have to play very well again.

No verbals for football, again!!

8. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women won the ACC Tourney, pretty handily over the Blue Devils. They made a 10-0 run to open the 2nd half to get it to single digits but then the Irish ran off a 20-2 to counter and it was over.

Lindsay Allen MVP, 1st team All tourney and now Irish and ACC all time assist leader. Marina Mabrey and Arike Ogumawalde were also 1st team All tourney and Briana Turner was 2nd team All Tourney.

Concludes a great regular season for the women. This team was maybe a little over rated at the outset, didn't deserve the preseason #1, it should have been UConn. But they have become better as the season progressed and are playing their best ball right now. They will be a #1 seed and maybe the #2 overall seed as well. They will give up height to most of the top teams in the counrty but they are good when they get out and run and all their starters can run and shoot. Baylor and So.Carolina are bigger teams though. As is UConn. It will be a tough road for them to the Final Four.

Scott Pagano was on campus this weekend and reports are that the Coaches feel like they did very well and are hopeful that he liked what he saw and will come here. He is still going to take all his visits so it will be awhile probably before we know if he will play for us as a Grad Transfer.

9. Terry O'Keefe

It's been almost a year since Doug Randoph a ND DE from Virgina was forced to give up his football career due to Spinal Condition.
    A blurb from ISD Intel on Friday.