Michigan and USC

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Nah Terry.....this thing has 9 trillion lives around here.

Can't make a post about Florida w/o someone deciding it's time to dredge up this tired debate all over again.

I could post that the women are half-naked in South Beach, FLORIDA and somebody's gonna think it's a great time to mention something they perceive as negative about the Gators.

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Here's what is a simple fact, if the Gators perform well we get ranked high. What some percieve here about us not traveling has no effect on our ranking, our tv ratings, our recruiting or much of anything else that I can see.

So the Gators will keep doing what is best for the Gators just like Notre Dame, OSU, Texas, Nebraska or any other program does.

I agree with you Terry, I just had to say this one more thing and I guess I should not be surprised it comes up again.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken from the mid 80's to the mid 90's Miami won 58 straight home games.

4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Bill,

While FSU doesn't travel like they used to, they still travel...just in the last 4 years they've been to Syracuse, BC, Louisville and Notre Dame. Your Gators have not scheduled a non-conference game out of state in the last 15 years and indeed only 8 in 50 years with only one that could even remotely be considered a power program....USC! That is extraordinary and worthy of comment.

The rational is that in addition to your tough conf schedule that nobody plays a non-conf foe every year like FSU - although FSU does travel - I offer USC. USC has played Notre Dame every year for eons.....at the same time they have travelled the continent taking on all comers - they have played AT 27 Big 10 sites- incl Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa and Mich St., AT 12 Big 12 venues incl Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Colorado as well as at Auburn and at Tennessee in addition to many others.

To MCG's conveniently selected dates of FSU at home 1988-2000 in defense, the Gators obviously made a conscious program decision to not travel well before 1988....FSU was not a power before Bowden's arrival in 1976 so there must have been another reason.
    MCG, how ya gonna do that? Ain't gonna happen! Ya gotta travel son!

Bill, at the end of the day, you're right. The Gators have chosen not to travel because they think it's in their interest not to do so....but they must know that their scheduling practices will be subject to criticism. But if as it seems, they are comfortable with it, then so be it.....

imho, it would be analogous to me making a decision to go out in public wearing a dress - not that there is anything wrong with that - even though I may be quite comfortable with my decision, my sense is that I might still be subject to some criticism which would be quite understandable. :wink:

5. Motorcity Gator

BT...I know it will never make sense to you so I will quit trying.

RE: FSU...they played at BC last year because it was a conference game and they played no OOC games on the road except UF.

The noles played no one OOC this year on the road.

I suspect now that the ACC has expanded to an SEC like 12 teams that FSU is done playing reciprocal home and home series with major OOC teams except for Florida because....

they are in the same boat as Florida now.

6. Gator Bill

Terry, I have made this point many times before but will make it once again and then stay out of this conversation as it is obvious no one is going to convience you and I can assure you that you are not going to convience me.

FSU, yes they traveled and yes they played those teams you mentioned. But how many of them were after the merger where Miami, Va Tech and Boston College came into the ACC and made them a stronger conference?

I will just tell you that the Gators schedule is plenty strong with our conference schedule and FSU every year. As far as subjecting us to criticism I will only tell you that the effect of the people that feel the way you do is so small in the big picture that it has no effect.

And there are still people who think the world is flat! :roll: :roll: :roll:

7. Motorcity Gator

"the world is flat"

Great analogy Bill.....

8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Regarding the travel game to Tallahassee, do the Gators take a bus or just pack a picnic lunch and take a leisurely stroll to the game 8)

9. BuckeyeT

MCG, re:FSU, you conveniently forgot the 'Noles going on the road to Syracuse in 04, Notre Dame in 03 and Louisville in 02.
    They may be in the same boat, but they're rowing in a different direction....the 'Noles are going to travel to Boulder next year to begin a home-home with the Buffs......

Fellas, it's not that it doesn't make sense it's that I completely disagree with you. No problem with that....we're allowed to disagree. To me it seems clear by the facts that the reason the Gators don't travel out of state to play quality opponents is that they would rather play inferior opponents at home and have done so for 50 years. The Gators made that a policy of the program long, long ago and they no doubt believe it to be in their interest.

However, if you don't want somebody to tell you you dress like a girl, you should probably not wear a skirt out in public consistently for the better part of a century..... :wink:

10. Motorcity Gator

"we're allowed to disagree"

Never were truer words spoken. That's very profound BT....and accurate. :roll: :roll:

11. Gator Bill

Terry, RE FSU, geez that Syracuse game really impresses me.

Also tell be about the FSU quality opponents on the road since the ACC expanded.

Also tell me why the Big 10 doesn't have a conference championship game.

And why can a powerhouse like Wisconsin go 11-1 with a weak confernce schedule. How does one get a weak conference schedule in the Big 10?

I'm also really intersted in the FSU visit to the always powerful Syracuse.

And yes I'm aware they beat us in 91 at their home field. 15 years ago.

12. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Since the Gators don't travel accross the country, does this mean they are not National contenders ? 8)

13. Motorcity Gator

I'm very interested in that tough Big Ten slate as well.

My feeling is that the conference as a whole is down this year.

Besides ND and Texas what non-con great wins were there in the Big 10?

Was the ND win for Michigan that special? I don't think so.

Is Texas all they are cracked up to be? Hardly.. it was proven by season's
    end.

You know..I realized BT is suffering from a major case of the pot calling the kettle black....or worse.

Compare since 1990 the games played in the away home stadium of the opponents for THE Ohio State University and the lowly Florida Gators....
    this is absolutely laughable but BT brought it on himself:

Since 1990:

OSU at:**** Florida at:
    BC********* FSU
    Syr******** Syr
    Pitt********* FSU
    Wash******* FSU
    Pitt********* FSU
    MO********** FSU
    WVa******** FSU
    Az********** Mia
    UCLA******** FSU
    Texas******* FSU

In '91 Ohio State played 8 games in Columbus and only 3 away.
    How in the hell did they do that???

Keep in mind the top 5 rankings of the noles and canes each of those years that Florida played em on the road and in particular the monstrous home record of FSU during that time vs. the lesser lights that OSU dared to play on the road. What a friggin joke that BT can compare these two teams!!! Come on Gipper and Corey...weigh in on this one...I dare ya!

In 2003 and 2005 OSU played ZERO games away out of conference.

In their 2002 national championship season the FEARLESS Bucs played these daunting games away from the friendly confines of Ohio Stadium:

Texas Tech, NW, Wisc, Purdue, Il

My God..how did they survive that one? That certainly beats playing Tenn in Knoxville and Auburn in Alabama!!

I tell you...BT has got me this time. Them Bucs go anywhere to play anybody and boy howdy am I impressed as hell.......NOT!

14. Motorcity Gator

BT...you gotta understand that I have never...ever been very impressed that much with Ohio State but this year I was gettin there....until you started in on your incessant "Florida won't travel" tirade that you won't let go.

Re-read my last post 10 times until it sinks in would ya?

I have nothing civil to say to anyone that refuses to acknowledge the extreme difficulty of playing road games in the SEC for the last 16 years and also at Florida State during the Bobby Bowden golden years.

Now...if FSU sinks into oblivion in the next 10 years and UF does nothing but go to FSU every other year I will not be a happy camper with the Florida AD for not upgrading the OOC schedule...possibly by dropping FSU if need be.

15. BuckeyeT

8) ...tis true MCG, tis true. Looking at the geographic array of those games you so helpfully posted would suggest coast-to-coast, north-to-south, conference champions as well as defending national champions. 8)

And you? From Gainesville to Tallahassee to Gainesville to....... :roll:

Bill,
    That was the last time you travelled out of state....give FSU credit for scheduling a road trip to Syracuse . Others in similar situations have opted instead for Florida A&M, Citadel, U-La-La or Georgia Southern - at home. All this to prepare us for Troy, Florida Atlantic and yes, its true, Citadel yet again.

Sorry to get you fellas so riled up but you do it to yourselves....it's not my fault you dress like a girl. Scream all want but your shrieks will ring hollow and fall on deaf ears until you play somebody outside the cozy confines of the Sunshine State. :wink:

If you want play some quality inter-regional match-ups scream at your AD. It's your school....

16. BuckeyeT

Nonsense.....hell MCG, you guys didn't travel before FSU was any good. Were you not a "happy camper" then???? Exactly at what point did you become a "happy camper" with the Gator scheduling policies because they have not changed in 50 freakin' years! :shock:

I've said my piece, I'm done - again!

It's your dress....wear it if you like, change it if you wish, but deny it you cannot..... :wink:

[​IMG]

17. Motorcity Gator

Damn BT....you're going to make me work.

Give me a minute and I will post the win=loss records of OSU non-con away opponents since 1990 vs. Florida's...

18. BuckeyeT

Excellent....while you're working at it, look up # of different opponents, travel distance, flight time, area code, longitude and latitude, time zone and climate. Let's make sure we get all relevant facts......yours shouldn't take too long. :wink:

19. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Man we've all got to get off this whole schedule thing, none of us has any input into the schedules we just love our teams. So lets be happy with all the great games skyboxers favorites teams have played this year and forget trying to use our Cray computers to analyze why our teams schedule is the best or better!

:idea:

20. Motorcity Gator

BT...it's pretty bad for you.

I'm sorry to break to you I really am but here goes:

The non-con away opponents records for OSU and Florida since 1990:

THE Ohio State University's opponents: 67-58

The University of Florida's opponents: 90-22-1

Sorry about that BT.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.