Michigan and USC

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

<<But>>

To quote the Guiness folks "brilliant!"

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Bill....these guys just witnessed their favorite team get the crap kicked out of them for the second time this season and they are a little cranky it seems.

:roll:

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

MCG, I wouldn't say these guys, but it sure does seem to have affected gipper.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Think about losing a game and crushing the pathetic hopes of Mich. and Fla. at the same time. Talk about a silver lining.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

you want names? i got names

<t>Let's see, mighty Kentucky was blown right off the field by Louisville. In fact, the SEC schedule is making the 'Cats looks tough.<br/>
    <br/>
    Kentucky this year:<br/>
    LOSS to louisville (59-28)<br/>
    WIN over Texas State (48-7)<br/>
    WIN over Central Michigan (45-36)<br/>
    WIN over La-Monroe (42-40)<br/>
    <br/>
    I would say its a fair bet that that all of ND's opponents sans Stanford or Army are at least as tough as La-Monroe- Putting money where my mouth is, yes, Kentucky could be beaten by most all of ND's opponents.<br/>
    <br/>
    Georgia<br/>
    Georgia had close calls with Colorado(14-13), Miss State (27-24) and Ole Miss.(14-9) They needed a miracle TD to beat an instate rival at home (and a team that ND dropped in the polls for beating on the road). They were beaten by Vandy and Kentucky while being blown off the field by Tennessee. I would give the Dogs the nod against 2 of the academies and UNC. I think they could be beaten by the likes of MSU, UCLA etc.<br/>
    <br/>
    Alabama<br/>
    <br/>
    A team with a defense good enough to keep them in a game, and an offense bad enough to lose any game. A team with two convicing wins all year (over the terrors of Kentucky La-Monroe and Florida International) They were in danger of losing the other 4 games they won with the only 'pull away' coming late against Duke. I'd put up 2 of the 3 academies against them, they'd beat a Michigan State and a Purdue. They'd struggle with the likes of UCLA/GTech etc.<br/>
    <br/>
    Florida State<br/>
    <br/>
    Seriously, does this even require rebuttal? A team that struggle with Troy, Western Michigan and Miami in wins (3 of its 6). They were blasted by Wake Forest and even beaten by NC State.<br/>
    <br/>
    Just admit it. I have. Our schedule wasn't that great. Yours isn't either.</t>

6. Motorcity Gator

I defer all references to Florida's SOS to the rankings put forth so skillfully by CBS Sportsline.

"WIN over Central Michigan (45-36)"

CMU is the likely MAC champion...which is usually a pretty decent team.

7. Motorcity Gator

So nice...I'm posting it twice...

It's just Notre Dame.

By Pete Fiutak
    1. What, exactly, did USC do to suddenly make everyone soooooooooo certain that it’s number two? It blew out Notre Dame?! This just in to anyone paying attention: Notre Dame was overrated to start the season, it’s overrated going into the BCS, it was overrated last year. This is a team that got by over the last two seasons on a near-miss in a classic loss to USC. In other words, it’s Cal.

Michigan whacked the Irish 47-21 in South Bend. Fine, so the Irish beat Georgia Tech, who’ll probably win the ACC title, but the next best win this year was against, um, uh, Navy? UCLA? Remember that it took a miracle meltdown to beat the Bruins as well as Michigan State. This team has no secondary, no pass protection, and got by on bombing away and hoping for the best.

Don’t get me wrong; if USC beats UCLA, I’m 100% for the Trojans playing the Buckeyes for the national championship. It beat Nebraska, Arkansas, Cal, and yeah, Notre Dame, but don’t just assume that one blowout win this week makes it

8. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:p
    Peter Fiutak is one of the most pathetic boobs posing as an expert that I can think of. Please check his works for last week, when he predicted that Nevada would blow out Boise State. He scores near the bottom on the Suck-O-Meter...

You can follow all of the clueless talking heads who hate the Irish here:

http://markmaybewrong.blogspot.com/2006/10/week-8-suck-o-meter-awards-adam.html

:p

9. Gator Bill

Pretty funny site JO'Co and I see they share my opinion of Kirk Herstreit. He has a marvelous record this year.

He picked Miami to win the National Championship

Then he got on the Louiseville bandwagon to Play the winner of OSU and Michigan

Then whenRutgers beat Loiseville he jumped on their bandwagon

Then when Rutgers lost he had W Virgina ranked in the top 5 again and they lost to S. Florida

He's like the kiss of death.

10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The basis of MCG's argument remains . We must accept the premise that the SEC is the most dynamic conference going. I don't believe that.

A twenty point loss on the road to possibly the best team in the nation is somehow worse than a eaking out a narrow win against an unranked opponent down the street.

There is only one way to settle this; let Florida and Notre Dame hook up in a bowl game.

The Gators do travel. Don't they? 8)

11. Motorcity Gator

George...I would love to see Chris Leak in his last game in a Gator uniform throwing to Baker, Caldwell and a healthy Percy Harvin vs. the Irish pass defense.

Conversely I would love to see Mr. Samardjza meet Mr. Nelson.

Actually I think ND could move the ball but no way that the ND defense I have seen in big games could stop Florida.

We could stop ourselves a little though so a runaway wouldn't happen. I would say UF by a 28-21 margin.

12. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Krebsie, no they do not....nor have they ever at least in the last 50 years! It is and always will reflect poorly on the program and cause many to scoff at their discretionary schedules. FSU travels, Miami travels, LSU travels, UT travels, etc, etc, etc. For whatever reason, the Gators don't travel. Imho, Gators fans will not be taken seriously in the schedule argument until they get on the road....and I don't mean Interstate 10. I mean different regions with different accents, different time zones, different climates, different hotels. It does make a difference.....there is only one reason the Gators don't travel.

13. Motorcity Gator

It used to happen before SEC expansion BT.....but you guys get selective amnesia every time I list it.

After expansion is a different story except for the additional home and homes with Miami recently and coming up.

I guess it makes sense to Foley to schedule Miami but I would prefer to go out of region most definitely.

Playing Miami in 2002 and 2003 was a helluva lot different than playing them in 2006. Would loved to have played just about anybody in those years instead.

14. BuckeyeT

When????? I just don't see it....I see other SEC schools - I see Alabama in Happy Valley, I see LSU in Columbus, I see Tennessee in South Bend. I don't see the Gators....

In all seriousness, I believe that you will always struggle in your quest to be considered on the short list of great national powers until you travel to South Bend, Lincoln, Columbus, Happy Valley, Boulder, Seattle, Ann Arbor....anywhere not in your backyard and win. It would be great for the program, the alums would love it, college football fans everywhere would love it. I would love to see the Gators in Columbus and would love to make the trip to the Swamp. You guys just need to quit trying to ignore or defend it and get on board making it happen. Just my opinion....

15. Motorcity Gator

"In all seriousness, I believe that you will always struggle in your quest to be considered on the short list of great national powers"

I really don't think that is much of an issue BT except to a few ND fans on this board and yourself. Skybox is definitely not a national sample by any means.

UF did travel to USC in the early 80s and is 1-0-1 vs the Trojans.

One thing about the trip to Tallahassee every other year...

From 1988 through 2002...a span of 8 road games...UF was winless at Tallahassee. I will absolutely guarantee you that those Florida teams would have fared no worse than .500 against any other team you can think of in those years.

It may have been a question of national flavor but schedule toughness was not the issue.

16. BuckeyeT

Until such time as you do, it is mere idle speculation with a material bias.

Staying in state, playing at the same venue, staying in the same hotel, in the same climate, in the same time zone with a minimal travel demand is vastly easier on so many levels than a cross-country venture to play a quality opponent in a different place at different time in a completely foreign environment....

The Skybox may not be a national sample, but it for certain is more representative than say the view from Gainesville.

17. Motorcity Gator

In the years between and including 1988 thru 2000 the Seminoles lost a grand total of TWO home games in Tallahassee.

Nobody else in the country had that kind of homefield advantage.

What could UF have possibly gained by playing someone else in the even years during that stretch in terms of difficulty?

Playing at Notre Dame would have been a vacation by comparison.

18. Gator Bill

Terry, the circumstance for the Gators prevent us from scheduling nationally like you suggest. A lot of us Gator fans, including me, would like to see it happen. But it is my opinion that an 8 game SEC schedule and FSU every year is about as difficult a schedule as there is year in and year out. And we have Miami scheduled in 2008 and one other year when there is an extra week in the football schedule.

The Miami game is one that I would like us to not schedule and schedule some of the teams you suggest.

I would disagree with you as to the how the Gators are seen around the country. While I understand you opinion, it does not hurt us and I would suggest that your examples of who travels and who doesn't don't include teams that have the level of difficulty of our schedule within our conference and a regular outside game as difficult as FSU.

FSU did travel, but I would suggest that once their conference has gotten more difficult and they have us every year they are not traveling as they once did.

Miami on the other hand does not have a tough out of conference team they play every year and can schedule more games. Same with Tennessee.

I would love to be in a position to do as you suggest, but I don't see it happening. You are entitiled to your opinion about our program but I woujld have to respectivelly disagree.

19. Motorcity Gator

Good post Bill but it falls on either deaf...or forgetful ears because the same damned thing will come up..oh..in about 48 hours or so.

"The Miami game is one that I would like us to not schedule and schedule some of the teams you suggest."

I really agree with this. I don't see the gain in playing Miami and in 2002 and 2003 it was just another very difficult game when we coulda been whippin up on the likes of PennSt, ND, Nebraska, etc.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Can we beat this topic to death any more? :evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.