McCarthy removed as Speaker

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 3, 2023.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Can you identify the "adults" ? I can't.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Krebsie, I'm not quite sure what one looks like any more but I'm a simple man and have simple standards in that regard. First and foremost is to remember why they are there and why the people are paying their salary and funding their office, staff and travel. It is quite simply to do the people's work and to identify and put forth legislative solutions to the nations most pressing issues. It is not to be a show horse or circus performer only seeking the nearest TV camera, press attention and sound bite to feign outrage at the latest utterance - independent of its merit and truth be damned - from the opposition in order to help raise funds for the next campaign. In my view, that is where we are and we, as a nation, are weaker both in world perception and in fact as a result

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

For the record (not that anyone cares), I agree with BT's above post as it applies to both sides of the aisle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BuckeyeT

Sid you are 100% correct, my comments were directed at all sides, all chambers

5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

You're welcome, and thank you for the reply. I understand.

6. George Krebs

Money ruins everything. Why is Congress and the Senate filled with 80 year olds running for re-election? How does a career shyster like Bob Menendez sneer into the camera in the face of a mountain of evidence against him? Why do politicians literally die in office after 50 years in elected office? Political office is clearly the magic portal to a lifestyle of riches. "Public service" has become a euphemism as quaint as the concept of the "student athlete". Their Achilles Heel is the voter but he/she is complacent and not inclined to hold their reps to any standard of conduct.

7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Why is it so hard to replace an incumbent? Especially when they have shown to be a moron/traitor/shyster???
    The only thing I can think of is the old axiom: "he's an idiot, but he's OUR idiot".

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BuckeyeT

House - roll call for Speaker vote smh
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. BuckeyeT

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. George Krebs

Maybe it's time to look at our government framework in general. It can be argued that Congress is completely dysfunctional and it pre-dates their recent inability to elect a Speaker. It's a partisan mess full weirdos that really has not passed any meaningful legislation since Obamacare that I can think of. The integrity of our Justice Dept has come under scrutiny as it appears to be politically motivated and has largely abandoned it's mission statement. And The Executive branch going back to Bill Clinton has primarily governed by Executive Order. There is no cooperation between the three branches that I can detect.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Question for Buckeye Terry:
    Now that Tom Emmer has won the nomination for Speaker, he needs 217 votes to be elected. I've seen a very brief description of his voting record, which is decidedly less conservative than the party's hardliners and even some of those to the left of the "Crazy 8". In your opinion, does it make sense for some Dems to cross over to offset the negative votes for the sake of, 1) getting the government operating again, and 2) hopefully starting the long, long road back to sanity in the legislature?

I realize #2 may be a pipe dream, but the guy seems to be respected by most and might be willing - God forbid - to reach across the aisle in certain situations. Any thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  13. BuckeyeT

Good question Sid, I've asked myself the same. For sure, the business of the people needs some attention from our representatives, sooner rather than later. Will the Dems wait for the least offensive (to them) nominee that the Republicans put up get on board to get the government running again? In their political calculus will they get enough credit from the center and the public independents at large to offset the resistance from their left flank. I honestly don't know, but it makes sense to me. They seem quite content to let the Republicans wallow in their own stupidity at present. I'm not sure that there is going to a better option for them unless it's McHenry or one of the "Problem Solvers" like Fitzpatrick, but I just don't see them as being a viable option in this environment. One can hope, right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Well, looks like Emmer’s history. Re: my original question, never mind. The beat goes on.

15. BuckeyeT

Yep....it seems clear they're at an impasse with themselves. The right flank will only support Trump sycophants at his bidding and the centrists and moderates won't accept any election denier-types aka Trump sycophants. Hard for the Dems or anybody to play a helpful role while the Republicans keep shooting themselves....meanwhile. what we're witnessing imho is the implosion of the Republican Party

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. George Krebs

I'm OK with a Democrat Speaker. The Republicans are a hapless bunch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. George Krebs

The only good that comes out of this clown show is if ultimately history records this shitshow as the moment Matt Gaetz committed political suicide.

• Like Like x 2