March Madness Talk

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Lofton fouled with 10.2 left... shooting 2. 1st good, up by 2. 2nd good, up by 3. Virginia inbounds and Tennessee fouls with 6.3 seconds left. Virginia shooting 2. 1st good, Tennessee up by 2. 2nd good. Tennessee up by 1 with 5.7 left

2. Tennessee Tom

Lofton again fouled on the inbound and going to the line to shoot 2 with a 1 point lead. 1st good, up by 2. 2nd good, up by 3. Virginia has the last shot and misses the three. Tennessee wins! :D

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Congrats Tom, that was a scary game. I didn't see the whole thing, but caught the big spurts by each team.

I know you were holding your breath when that last shot went up just like I was yesterday. Welcome to the club of 16!

8)

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Stu, your Boiler Makers had me very nervous today. The when we go ahead 47-40 I'm thinking we have finally turned things around and you guys score 9 in a row.

That's a good ball team and I'm glad my Gators escaped today.

Tom, I've got Tennessee going to the finals. That means you most likely have to beat Ohio State.

Gator Bill

5. Tennessee Tom

Bill,

I do have renewed faith in the Tennessee men but my bracket does not show it. I have us losing to Ohio State. I will gladly allow my bracket to suffer and yours to prosper with a win over OSU. :wink:

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Tenn vs Texas A&M....don't you work with a lot of Aggies Tom?

7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Hey hey Terry O! Did ya want my analysis of the USC-Texas game?

[​IMG]

8. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who's the best freshman player on the court?

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm not getting the USC-TX game here in Indiana. Does USC have an outstanding freshman?

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yes they do. In fact, they have a couple of them. Tim Floyd has done the best coaching job in the Pac10. The Trojans now have a real coach, a real basketball arena to play in and tons of talent flooding in. They've already signed the #1 player in the nation for next year.

The frosh to watch this year was a kid named Hackett. His daddy played for Syracuse and he played and coached in Europe. He was a dominate player in today's blowout of the Longhorns.

BTW- this was probably Kevin Durant's final game...

.......Report of the Evil Empire Game......JO'Co

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks, JO'Co. I actually like Tim Floyd and am glad to see him doing well, even if it is with the hated Trojans. The Pac 10 has 3 teams in the Sweet 16. Not bad.

12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all the winners today. Looks like we will face Tennessee Thursday.

I hope Oden is mean as a bear! :lol:

Don

13. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Thank you, Bill...you, MCG, and Gaterz have my sincere congratulations on the win...

Noah looks like such a punk when he's playing but he was real classy after the game so I guess he isn't.

Horford is a stud!

I remain very proud of this team which has no future NBA stars on it, but plays hard, just like Matt Painter did when he played for Purdue.

It would appear that he has righted the ship...next year's recruiting class is one of the top in the country...don't look for us next year because we lose both Teague and Landry, but I am real excited about the prospects down the road.

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The tournament has gone about as I expected for the teams that I follow. The Irish made a quick exit and I expected that based on what I saw this year on TV. They're improving, but not enough to get excited about yet.

The Pac10 had three teams that I felt would do very well: UCLA, USC and Oregon and that's the way its worked out. I never believed in the others, especially Stanford which was very fortunate to be chosen. Wazzoo always failed in prime time, so it was no surprise when they were upset.

USC has been the darkhorse all along. They were MUCH better than most experts believed. Every time I saw them, they were playing the best teams right down to the wire and their freshmen were improving by leaps and bounds under Floyd's coaching. Hackett wasn't a starter until the playoffs and Gibson had 14 rebounds in today's game to control the boards. A lot was made of their being blownout by Oregon in the Pac10 Tourney Final, but that was a fluke. Oregon hit nearly every three pointer they tossed up from any distance or angle. That was a one-game event.

The only real surprise for me was how well Nevada Las Vegas has been doing, but then I forgot that they picked up one of ASU's starters who graduated, under an old transfer rule that doesn't exist anymore. It was that loophole that allowed a player to transfer without penalty if he was a grad student. Other than that, the western teams have performed as I expected.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Longhorns are just too young. Kevin Durant was the best player on the court, he just didn't have the best game. He'll still be the 1st or 2nd player taken in the NBA draft. After that it's up to him to develope into a NBA super star like everybody predicts.

On that kid who's comming to USC. O.J.Mayo, he is trouble waiting to happen. He chose USC because they know how to hype their players, but he's of questionable character, which means he'll fit right in at So. Central. I wouldn't want him at either ND or Texas.

16. Tennessee Tom

TOK wrote:
    Yes I do... in my paid and volunteer jobs!

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

JO'Co, next year, prior to the tournament, I'm going to hire you as a consultant to help me assess the teams west of the Mississippi. That's one of the two areas of the country where I'm weak. The other is that part of the country that lies east of the Mississippi. :lol:

18. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Thanks Stu, as to Noah, he is anything but a punk. He's a very nice young man and a heck of a ball player. What else he is is a very nice emotional young man.

19. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Stu, great effort by those Boiler kids....they gave themselves every chance for a great upset. Hats off to the Gator kids for gutting it out during sphincter time. Painter seems to have done a great job as well. Congrats...

Tom, the Vols and Buckeyes will have to go a long way to top the classic contest in Columbus when last they met. I fully expect it to come down the last shot again. I love the Lofton kid....he is a real gamer. Best of luck to your Vols. I hope both teams play well...btw, I'm just fine with another 1 point victory. :wink:

20. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Sweet 16 by conference

3 – SEC (UF, Vandy , Tenn. ) - all SEC east division.

3 – Pac 10 ( Oregon , UCLA, USC)

2 – Big East ( Georgetown , Pitt)

2 – Big12 ( Kansas , TA&M)

1 – Big 10 (OSU)

1 – ACC (UNC)

1 – Horizon ( Butler )

1 – Mountain West (UNLV)

1 – Missouri Valley ( S. Ill. )

1 – CUSA ( Memphis )