M Week

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by BuckeyeT, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Hey I agree, Ohio State and Texas A & M. Would be a really good game.

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Looks like we got a stay of execution for 1 year. Hopefully, the B10 will reverse its course of continuing boneheaded decisions and have OSU meet NW in the title game given the Buckeyes have already defeated Indiana.

FF248D68-E93C-4B3C-9403-C55EA38F35CF.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

What if the Big 10 told Rutgers it's game with Maryland is cancelled and that Maryland will play Ohio State instead?

4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

In truth, I really don't think it matters for any practical purpose. If we can't play in the "championship" game, then we'll play Iowa instead of NW. If we're fortunate enough to beat Iowa, we'll be 5-0 and I would argue our case as to whether or not we're one of the 4 best teams in the country would not materially benefit if we had played and beaten NW. Does anybody truly believe that beating Illinois, a crippled 2-4 stripehead team and Iowa instead of NW was going to evidence anything material to a decision about whether we should be ranked behind any 1 loss teams? Really? I don't think so.....we are who we are and we are who everybody thought we'd be at the beginning of the year when we were ranked #2 pre-season. If the objective of the Committee is to pick the best 4, the hissy-fits will be epic but, we're in....

5. Bobdawolverweasel

TOK, it looks like a real possibility that Purdue will have to cancel its game against Ind as they were forced to stop practicing today due to Covid outbreaks. Wonder is Ind and OSU would agree to play each other again this Saturday?

6. Terry O'Keefe

Iowa that would be your crossover opponent on the 19th? Win and you'd be 6-0.

I do think that being 6-0 beating NW and Big 10 Champions, vs beating Iowa and just being 6-0 is of little consequence. The year Penn State beat you and won the Big 10 Championship, you guys were still given the CFP berth and had that great game with Clemson!! :rolleyes:

So there is precedence for Ohio State not wining their conference championship and making the CFP, same for Alabama in 2017 when they lost to Auburn and didn't play in the SEC Championship game, but won the Nat'l Title. Committee gets to do what they want behind those closed doors. If they are going to go with the "eye test"...then Ohio State is in.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Almost wouldn't be fair to force IU to play OSU again. It would seem fairer to hack the schedule to put a team like Maryland against Ohio State who they were supposed to play but haven't. Or maybe have Ohio State play either Northwestern or Iowa this weekend. It's a mess that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BuckeyeT

The only upside? It should breed enough hatred to fuel the rivalry far into the next century as well

[​IMG]

9. Terry O'Keefe

OK I have the solution. Hack the schedule and have IU play Northwestern and Ohio State play Iowa, sort of a Big 10 Semifinals, the winners advance to the Big 10 Championship game. That the answer.

10. Bobdawolverweasel

B10 was better run in 1918. Because of the Spanish flu, the conference ( then called the Western Conference) moved the M/OSU game to a later date and the game was played.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel on Tuesday said he and coach Jim Harbaugh will sit down after the season to discuss any type of extension and where the program is headed moving forward.

"How rumors get started about things before Jim and I sit down and have a conversation, I'm not going to get into," Manuel said. "That's not for me to try to track down, but that's where that is, and that's where we'll be at the end of the season."

12. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Minnesota losing folks by the minute...c'mon down to lincoln for a rematch boys!....B1G NO on Aggies or anybody else out of conf....when wiskey bailed, we had Tenn Chat lined up and ready to go...then B1G bro said no...could care less if it's your conf darling or not.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The SEC could just declare the season over and Alabama is the SEC champion. That would settle one spot, wouldn't it? Florida and A&M would get consideration for one of the others. I mean since we're into changing the rules to suit our own interests why not?

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Gator Bill

Now wait a minute kp. :)

I want the SEC Championship game to go forth. I see us a losing but want the chance however small it may be.

But I agree with your analogy anyway,

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah Bill, I'm just a little bit amazed at the machinations going on to get.into the playoffs. I too want to play out the season and the SEC Championship game and let the chips fall where they may. :cool:

16. Bobdawolverweasel

BT, I am sure it will increase the animosity but I wonder if millennials and Gen. Z Buckeye fans wonder why their parents and grandparents are so obsessed with Michigan considering that beating Michigan has been a regular and predicable event during their lives. To them, “because I could’t go for 3”, 1969, the 10-year war, and the Cooper years are ancient history. For those Buckeye fans who lived through that era, everything since 2001 has to be viewed, quite justly, as a golden era of Ohio State football to be savored with full delight. But for the youngsters, they have to feel like Michigan fans of my era did when our elders informed us that Michigan-Minnesota is a big rivalry—“really, the Gophers used to be really good?”

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

My 40 year old son was 8 the last time Notre Dame won a national championship. Keeping that tradition alive requires a lot of imagination as well. I remember telling him at the time " They'll be more where that came from". :)

18. BuckeyeT

Bobda, believe me when I say that I am hoping for M to regain their former glory.....their decline is not beneficial to the conference as a whole and especially ours. That said, that is an entirely different thing than saying I want the annual beatings to stop, I do not. Unlike many of my Buckeye Nation peeps, I always root for my conference brothers out of conference, even Blue ones

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gator Bill

I really thought that Michigan had hired the right guy and still do not understand how it went wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I saw an article that said Fox Sports is going to take a big hit financially from the loss of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1