LSWho @ Tennessee

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tennessee Tom, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Tom, FWIW, I want to commend you for taking a heartbreaking loss like a man. I have great respect a guy who can muster up the courage and character to say all the things you've said, especially after your team has lost a close game that means so much.

2. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Thanks Sid. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. :wink: I can't stand the whining that is so prevalent today. The only time that you will hear me whining about a call or two is when I can find absolutely no fault with my team’s play. That does not happen often. If I had not seen a reason for the loss that could be blamed on our boys, you might see a MCG impression from me. :twisted:

3. Tennessee Tom

Hi Doc Dan!

Great to hear from you after this loss. It is amazing how we are 1000 miles apart, you are watching in person and I'm watchin on the TV, and our assessments are almost 100% the same. I am amazed at the post game stats. LSU dominated every area of the stats except turnovers.

Now we have even more problems: Foster, Holbert, and Wardlow were arrested early this morning for disorderly conduct and underage consumption. This is being reported by WBIR in Knoxville according to what I just read. I don't know how sever the issues are. This is all I know. Can you provide more details?

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah..and how easily you dismiss the TD that should have been for LSU when Morley's hand touched the punt that was recovered in the endzone.

I suspect that suppose that play was the other other way around and LSU had 2 penalties to Tenn's 12 that you have a little more comment.
    You do suck it up and take the high road....wow....that's pretty tough and Sid's impressed. I also supsect Sid's easily impressed.

5. Tennessee Tom

Hi Don,

I actually started feeling better last night when I started posting again. Thanks for the kind words. I am feeling so good now that I am going out bush hogging on the farm property we have.

6. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

Tom...

<t>IMO that may have been the best college game I've watched all year. What a setting in that stadium and intensity, yikes. LSU is a good football team and considering their losses this year I think it was their turn on the last drive which was a thing of beauty. I felt for the Vols at the end. Tenn has a good club.<br/>
    <br/>
    As for the fumble I asked the ? the day of the OU screwing in Eugene, wait till it happens to your team. Its gut wrenching. I've seen more pitiful officiating this year than ever and these clowns have the benefit of replay. Go figure.<br/>
    <br/>
    Great football game in Tennessee yesterday. Sorry LSU won as I was pulling for the Vols but the Tigers can play.</t>

7. Motorcity Gator

Both teams were great yesterday...I concur.

It was just a fantastic game on a fall Saturday and I truly enjoyed it and would have been happy with either outcome because of the heart and skill displayed in the game and how well played it was.

Thanks to Tenn and LSU for putting on such a good show.

8. Tennessee Tom

No MCG, I wouldn't unless my team was without fault... you know, the glass house syndrome… You are a fan of quoting total amount of penalties… 12 for LSU. Care to guess how many were for false start and were obviously correct calls? Just because there are more penalties called against one team does not mean that the black helicopters are close by.

Tennessee’s defense was jumping around, not in the neutral zone mind you, and #79 alone was called for false start 3 times. One quarter of their total penalties were false starts called on one guy. That was not the only occurrence of false start penalties.

9. Motorcity Gator

I will grant you that Chavis has a pretty good scheme to get the other guys to move.

It's almost like Andrews at FSU teaching his guys to hit the Qb "till the echo of the whistle".

Hey..if it works and you don't get caught yourself then it's a good strategy.

10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'd like to echo Sid's critique of Tom. He is the ultimate gentleman on here.

11. DocDan

DocDan New Member

Foster Arrested?

<t>Tom,<br/>
    <br/>
    Good Grief(Groan)! <br/>
    <br/>
    I had not heard about the arrests!!!! I suspect a lot of Vols considered drinking to excess last night to forget about the game, but apparently a few players acted on that thought! <br/>
    <br/>
    Our running game is already non-existant so I guess it can't get much worse. Perhaps we can follow Florida's lead....put Ainge in to pass, and put Crompton in to run. I haven't seen the stats, but I suspect that Crompton was the leader in our running game last night.<br/>
    <br/>
    Time for more Prozac!<br/>
    <br/>
    Dan</t>

12. DocDan

DocDan New Member

Chavis

<t>P.S. I thought Chavis was pretty crafty in the way he was trying to disguise the D last night. LSU looked pretty confused when they were jumping around.</t>

13. Tennessee Tom

It is nothing of the sort. Chavis disguised his defense by moving in and out of positions. Did you even watch what you are commenting on?
    Don’t get caught at what? Checking in and out of defenses? I had no idea that was anything to get caught at.
    disguized

14. Tennessee Tom

Dan,

Coker is supposed to be back next week. I don't know if that means that he will be back like Ainge was back this week or not. If you hear anything else on these guys. let us know.

15. Motorcity Gator

It's the jumping and forward movement intending to draw the OL out of his stance and cause a motion penalty that is no longer legal in college football.

Tenn got away with one vs. Fla that was more blatant than anything yesterday but there was one time late in the game where LSU flinched from all that jumping in and out and the Tigers were penalized 5 yds that actually put LSU in a 4th and 8 instead of 4th and 3. This is an example where the Tenn D was pushing the "checking" to the limit.

Again, they got away with it. To me it looks designed to do what it does and that is .....make the OL move and get penalized.

Give Chavis credit for knowing how to pull it off.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Phil handed out some suspensions for that fight last Sat night. I'm not sure I understand his justice though. He suspended Foster for only a 1/2 game because he didn't believe the Police report on Foster. He believed it on the other 2 guys who are reserves and will get 1 game and 2 games supension. Certainly leaves him open to criticism that Foster being the more valuable of the three got the benefit of the doubt.

Knoxville News

17. Motorcity Gator

Fulmer's season is in serious jeopardy of a slide right now.

Lose to Arky and that's three SEC losses which is a bit more than the season looked like for the longest time.

Hey...Vandy and Ky will not be Tenn pushovers this year either.

18. Motorcity Gator

From CFN (note to Tom...NOT from MCG):

"The LSU-Tennessee replay failure from Saturday--in which an on-field call SHOULD have been overturned (a touchback for the Vols that should have been a touchdown, given a video shot of a Tennessee return man clearly touching the ball and changing its trajectory)--was bad enough. But the ACC's two ridiculous overturns of correct on-field calls (especially in the Maryland-Clemson game) only worsened this nightmarish season for the replay system. Once again, coach potatoes at home could do an exponentially better job than paid staffers who are evidently unable to perform what should be a simple job: see call, use basic intelligence, honor the "indisputable video evidence" proviso, and phone in the ruling to the lead official.

Lots of Americans live in poverty. ACC Commissioner John Swofford should allow a homeless guy to make a decent wage by plucking him off the street and putting him in the replay booth one of these next few Saturdays. That homeless man could do a better job than the folks in Clemson and Winston-Salem did this past weekend.

How many more games--and division title races and conference championships and BCS bowl bids--are going to be affected by horrible replay rulings? No one died, but a lot of kids are getting jobbed, and darnit, that's just not right"

Tallahassee should be fun for Florida on Nov. 25th with ACC refs...lots and lots of fun... :roll:

19. Tennessee Tom

Note to MCG... THIS IS FROM TOM!!!

Give it a rest. Both announcers said that the do believe that the ball grazed his wrist but do not think that there was enough evidence to overturn. They said that on the air before the official made it public.

If it was ruled on the field that it WAS touched, there would not have been enough to overturn that as well.

I pity you. You go into games expecting to see the worst. You pick and analyze every situation to find something to complain about. Relax and enjoy the games.

20. Motorcity Gator

Apparently this writer from CFN feels stongly enough about bad officiating that he chose to write these comments.

I guess you pity him too.

His closing statement about how the kids are screwed out of just rewards resonates with me. No way should bad officiating determine the outcome of games and he is making a point about that.

With regard to the ACC and Florida it is hard to go into the FSU game with confidence that the refs will do a fair and honest job after what I witnessed the last time they did a UF-FSU game.