Looks like Michigan will get shafted

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by AJNJ, Dec 3, 2006.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm lovin this.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If we had a playoff UM would have a shot for a replay but we don't. UF won its Conference and has not lost to OSU. UM cannot say either one of those things.

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Me too gipper!

Terry :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

You are honestly going to tell me the polls are not rigged and that these people are honestly voting for the 2nd best team ?

You and I both know damn well that most people DID NOT want to see a UM/OSU rematch and that they would look for ANY excuse not to pick UM # 2.

I suggest you lock up this thread and just let it go that we just don't agree.

Let's be civil and not allow this to get out of hand.

Thank you

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I agree lets be civil. I just don't see it your way Andy, I see it as UF having a very strong case.

Terry

6. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

What a great Sunday...

<t>After watching the Cowboys beat the hated Giants, the Deadskins lose again and in a few minutes hope to hear good news for the Gators. YES !!</t>

7. Gator Bill

And the news is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gators play Ohio State!

Go Gators!!!!!!!!

8. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Bill,

I'm sure that you are familiar with the saying: Be careful what you wish for... It just might come true.

Congrats... I think. :?

9. Gator Bill

AJ, like you I want to keep it civil and if things go any further I will honor your request to lock the topic.

However I do have to say that the title of the topic is provocative, your first statement insulted my coach and my team.

And your position as to what team you want to see is not supported by many posters here.

Frankly I don't understand how you could start a topic like this and make the statement you did and expect you won't get a reaction.

But no matter I do respect you and hope you do me also and as you say we just have to agree to disagree.

I'm leaving it open for now and don't think we will have to lock it, but we will if necessary.

10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

my take

<t>I honestly think Michigan is the 2nd best team, but I also believe Florida deserves the shot at the title game because they won their conference.<br/>
    <br/>
    Flawed as the old bowl system was, I still think it was better than the crap we've been getting fed since the mid90s. These attempts aren't at bringing us a real 1 vs 2. Its about generating money. Period.<br/>
    <br/>
    It doesn't matter how much, and what shade of lip stick you put on the pig. It still is what it is, and that ain't much.<br/>
    <br/>
    But I do prefer two conference champs over the stuff we saw where OU and Nebraska were given shots at a title that they didn't earn.<br/>
    <br/>
    BTW-both of those times, it was Pac10 teams getting hosed. I dont remember the SEC calling for a total blow up of the system then, but what the hell. At least we're getting closer to getting it right now.</t>

11. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Tailback's 10 points are not his creation but a cut and paste job without attribution of the following ESPN column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2684345

I wish ESPN would print AJ's responses

I am a little surprised that avoiding a re-match is a primary reason for some to reject a M/OSU rematch. Many of the greatest sporting events in our ( or JIF's lifetime) involved rematches: Ali/Frazier III; Villanova/Georgetown; Borg/ McEnroe; Leonard/Hearns II; LaMotta/Robinson; Zale/Graziano, Lakers/Celtics. The list is endless.

But, I remember writing here a few years ago bashing Nebraska's selection over Colorado and Oklahoma's later selection in the BCS title game after Nebraska and Oklahoma had lost their conference championship games. My thought then was that winning one's conference should be a prerequisite to playing in a national championship game. Given Fla's and M's indentical records, I really can't bitch if the pivotal factor for Fla selection was Fla's SEC championship since winning one's conference should be given great if not controlling weight in this process.

The one great thing is that this year's bowl match-ups will answer many of the debates we had this year on this board about the strength of the B10 vs. SEC and just how good ND and USC are. So gloating or eating a heavy portion of crow will mark the start of 2007 on SB!

12. Gator Bill

That's just the kind of classy comment I would expect from you Bobda and am glad you weighed in.

I can tell you this, if the Gators lose badly I'll still be here to take whatever heat. I hope I did not come across as badmouthing Michigan, my real thing is basically what you said, Michigan had their chance, give us ours. If we lose whether close or one sideded then that's the way it goes. I think being there is a big part of the goal we all have for our team every year.

I do expect the Gators will give a good account of ourselves and have a chance to win.

Good luck against USC.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Good post Bobda!

14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Lots of hot rhetoric around here...

Anybody besides me see the irony of the fact that you SEC guys are all complaining about ESPN/ABC bias towards Mich. and TB plagerizes in its entirety an ESPN argument that is made for Fla.?

Put me down as one who believes Fla. got the proper nod to go, having won their conference championship.

Put me down as one who thinks that Fla. may be the equal to Mich.

Put me down as one who thinks all this Mich. bashing by the SEC is misplaced drum banging and very unseemly, though understandable.

Put me down as one who thinks that AJ has in no way insulted Fla. but just stood up against some of this stuff and now he's painted as some kind of anti-SEC guy.

Put me down as someone who knows how lost and misbegotten AJ is, having heard his misplaced opinions on the Heisman. :lol:

15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Brother Stu,
    The bowl season starts, and AJNJ returns to the True Faith of the Most Righteous B10 Conference!
    [​IMG]
    And, I am hoping that some of our Domer Skyboxers trek down to the Sugar Bowl for I would love to read a travelogue about their interactions with LSU fans. Most of the SEC BBs describe LSU fans with words that Medieval Europeans used to describe the invasions of the Mongol hoards.

16. Stu Ryckman

Heh, heh...

They're gonna end up likin' us and thinkin' we're roll models, Bobda.

17. Gator Bill

Excuse me Stu but when you start a topic like this
    You are taking a shot at the Gator coach, that's pretty plain. And I take offense to taking a shot at my coach who was just telling the truth from his point of view.

And I don't think it bashing Michigan to say they got their chance, and pointing out some relative stats between the two teams.

Yes I think the Gators should go to the game, that does not mean I am against Michigan so I don't buy a good bit of your last post.

18. Stu Ryckman

You don't have to buy it...you're a sensitive guy.

He lobbied...get over it...ESPN radio today (you know, the ESPN you guys are crying about) actually complimented him for lobbying.

Me, I don't care.

AJ doesn't like it...does that mean he's a big Gator Basher?...I don't think so but you see it that way, so fine.

We all have the same disease...when we say something about the other guy we're just "pointing out statistics" but when they say it they are bashing.

19. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

LOL

I told Stu I would be back in Big 10 graces.

Big 10 rules !!
    :lol:

[​IMG]

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm lovin it.