Longhorn Band

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Terry O'Keefe, May 19, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Sort of an odd topic for a political board but the band has been mired in a controversy over the origin of "The Eyes of Texas". Recently the School issued a statement that the Longhorn Band will play the school song at all football games and other events. I haven't seen how well that was received by the band members, but that is the current situation. They also said that they were going to create a 2nd Marching Band in 2022 that will not be required to play "The Eyes of Texas". I wonder what events that band will play at when it's up and running.

The Band is normally over 350 members strong, I wonder how many will join the band for the fall since they will have to play the school song. Will it be less by a few or a significantly smaller group that gets derided for caving into "white supremacy" stuff. Will any band members of color return this fall or opt out. If a band member of color plays "The Eyes of Texas" will they be called out by those who oppose it as sellouts, derided, etc. Might be a tough decision for them, student who play in the band, love the band it's a lot of work and not much reward though. I could see some who oppose the song joining and playing because the love the band and decide that the one song isn't going to ruin it for them.

Not a big surprise then that the current Longhorn band director decided this was a great time to retire. Life is too short to have to put up with all the politics that now surround the band. Also not a big surprise that the new director is a man of color. He's a great candidate, Texas grad and a former member of the Longhorn band. Has a ton of experience and is ready for the job no doubt. I'm just as sure that amongst the first things discussed was his feelings about 'The Eyes of Texas' and the band playing it at football games. In a different time it wouldn't have even come up and he'd not have to deal with it. But now he does and it will be interesting to see how all this works out this fall.